+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree214Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by cablejockey View Post
    Right now in the middle of the Tudor Secret by CW Gortner. Amazing story especially if you like historical fiction!
    About-Tudor-Secret
    I just read that a couple of weeks ago. Loved it, and definitely plan to read more books by this author.
    Right now, I am reading The Autobiography of Henry VIII, by Margaret George. It's fiction, of course.

The set-up is that Henry wrote his memoirs when he was old and sick, and gave them to his "fool", Will Somers. About 10 years after Henry's death, early in the reign of Queen Mary, Will Somers is sending the journals to Catherine Carey, Henry's probable daughter by Mary Boleyn. It's the premise for hearing Henry's life story from his own point of view, with occasional snarky and/or insightful comments from Will Somers.

I have eclectic taste in books and read many, many genres -- but I do love well-written historical fiction.
    Last edited by TeacherLady; 05-26-2011 at 07:30 PM.

That book sounds good TeacherL! Definitely going on list of must reads this summer.

Just started "Blood Harvest" by SJ Bolton. I love her! Her first two books were really good..."Sacrifice" and "Awakening". They're British, umm, "modern gothic psychological mysteries" is I guess the best way to describe them They're a little bit spooky, with elements that might be supernatural...or not They're all stand alones, not a series, so no need to read in order, but I definitely recommend checking them out.
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

I'm reading Color: A Natural History of the Palette by Victoria Finlay, another selection for my book club. The book begins with the oldest known colors in art and moves forward, telling the story of how they are used, the symbolism involved and where they pigment comes from. It's really fascinating and I'm learning a lot of things I didn't know. Even though I'm enjoying it, I'm dying to finish it so I can pick up Martin's A Clash of Kings! Those books are totally addictive!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I just started Wicked, but I am also really excited about the Henry VIII novel! I really enjoy historical fiction!

I finally finished my book for book club, Color, and have started A Clash of Kings. I have SO much going on in the next few days and all I want to do is stay in bed and read!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I am almost finished The Good Guy by Dean Koontz. Its a great story, full of action, mystery and a lot of violence. I like this author and try to read everything I can find by him. The Good Guy by Dean Koontz

I am about to finish Sandra Brown's Tough Customer.
    Ok, but not her best.

The Library just informed me that Joyce Carol Oates' A Widow's Story is ready for me to pick up.
    Can't wait.
    I saw her in person last month and she talked, in depth, about the book and the writing of it.

She's probably 1 of my all time favorite authors, so I cannot wait to read the book. It will be quite a departure from her other books.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I read a lot of fluff.

I've recently discovered Jill Mansell. She's British and absolutely hilarious. Her books are just fun to read. I'm reading Rumor Has It now. I've been buying all the ones she has on Kindle and if she doesn't convert her other novels soon I'm going to break down and buy the actual books.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo View Post
    I read a lot of fluff.

I've recently discovered Jill Mansell. She's British and absolutely hilarious. Her books are just fun to read. I'm reading Rumor Has It now. I've been buying all the ones she has on Kindle and if she doesn't convert her other novels soon I'm going to break down and buy the actual books.
    I recently read one of her books for the first time, and loved it. It's Millie's Fling and I'm pretty sure it was free on my nook. I've added her to my list of rotating authors that I'm reading.

+ Reply to Thread