+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Finally having a chance to read The Lacuna (Barbara Kingsolver) again. This time of year is so busy! It started out a little slow, but now he's living in the household of Diego Rivera and Frida Kahlo so the pace has picked up. Still, kind of a melancholy book. Takes place between Mexico and US - raised by his mom who left his dad for what failed to be greener pastures. Still, the writing is what you would want if you're a Kingsolver fan (which I am).
    Count your blessings!

Double-posting because at 40% through the book now, I can't put it down! I may go back and re-read other books of hers I've enjoyed this summer.
    Count your blessings!

Right now in the middle of the Tudor Secret by CW Gortner. Amazing story especially if you like historical fiction!
    About-Tudor-Secret

I love historical fiction! Thanks, going to look for that one.

I just finished I Still Dream About You - Fannie Flagg. It was good but I didn't like it as much as her other books.

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by elk View Post
    All the other books in my TBR pile were put on hold when I decided to try "Game of Thrones" by George RR Martin a couple of weeks before the HBO series debuted. My thoughts were that it would help me understand the characters and help me enjoy the series more fully.

I am so glad I picked up that book - it was incredible and it has kept my anticipation and expectations high for each new episode.

I then ripped through book#2, A Clash of Kings. I have read the books get better, and this one did not disappoint!

So now I am almost halfway through #3, A Storm of Swords and I am in complete awe! This book has just joined my top 10 faves of all time!

I highly recommend trying this series out. Although described as "fantasy", they are reminiscent of historical fiction. Plus there is plenty of action: wars, love, sex, intrigue and, yes, scary creatures.

Has anyone else read any of this series? Crit, I know you were reading #1, how are you enjoying it?
    Yes and I love it as well! I'm on my second time reading it through (just about to start SoS) and am realizing I missed so much (not necessarily what you want to hear when the books are so big-lol) but after learning who the characters are and knowing where they're headed, I'm catching lots of tidbits I missed before. I just want everything fresh in my mind when the 5th book comes out in July. I can't wait!!! [Sadly, because I've been stuck in Westeros, I haven't read anything new recently. The latest CH book is still in my Amazon cart. ]
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Quote Originally Posted by cablejockey View Post
    Right now in the middle of the Tudor Secret by CW Gortner. Amazing story especially if you like historical fiction!
    About-Tudor-Secret
    I downloaded it yesterday morning. Just finished reading it. It was so good. Can't wait for the next one in the series.

Just started City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra Clare and am in love.
    Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens. J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by sparklete View Post
    I downloaded it yesterday morning. Just finished reading it. It was so good. Can't wait for the next one in the series.
    Wow! Your'e a fast reader. I'm still reading it and I started last week!

Sunday Morning Wife by Pamela Rice
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Finished A Game of Thrones last night - read the last 400+ pages yesterday. I just couldn't stop! It took me while to get into it, but then I couldn't put it down. I read about the last 500 pages this weekend. I really wanted to pick up book 2 immediately, but I'm putting it off for a few days in favor of the new Charlaine Harris. I hope it's better than the last book, which was pretty disappointing, IMO.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread