+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree249Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I got my niece the "Penguin classic" translated by E.V. Rieu. It is in prose form, not attempting to impose rhyme and meter, and using modern language - but direct translation, not reworded or abridged. I downloaded the free version that is pretty rough going. Old stilted language. I think the translator is Pope?
    Count your blessings!

Have about 50 pages left to go in Mystery by Jonathan Kellerman.
    I'm enjoying it so far, though it's not his best.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I am cruising toward the end of I Beat The Odds (From Homelessness to THE BLINDSIDE) by Michael Oher with Don Yaeger. It is a very worthy read. Michael tells his own story, and it is really something. This was an amazing young man from the time he was in his single digits. He's been on a mission his entire life. He didn't have the resources to be the spoiled brats that we see so frequently today.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Let Me In by John Ajvide Lindqvist about a child vampire. They made a movie of it in Sweden and then did a remake here in the US. Saw them both. Its a lengthy book, I was worried if it would be dull, but it is excellent.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Just finished "Transition" by Chaz Bono. An interesting read to help us straight folks understand the non-straight community, and to help see them as normal people with different challenges than some of us face.

elk

All the other books in my TBR pile were put on hold when I decided to try "Game of Thrones" by George RR Martin a couple of weeks before the HBO series debuted. My thoughts were that it would help me understand the characters and help me enjoy the series more fully.

I am so glad I picked up that book - it was incredible and it has kept my anticipation and expectations high for each new episode.

I then ripped through book#2, A Clash of Kings. I have read the books get better, and this one did not disappoint!

So now I am almost halfway through #3, A Storm of Swords and I am in complete awe! This book has just joined my top 10 faves of all time!

I highly recommend trying this series out. Although described as "fantasy", they are reminiscent of historical fiction. Plus there is plenty of action: wars, love, sex, intrigue and, yes, scary creatures.

Has anyone else read any of this series? Crit, I know you were reading #1, how are you enjoying it?
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

I have just finished ByThe Light of the Moon by Dean Koontz. I really enjoyed it. The story seemed real no matter how fantastic the events taking place in it! By the Light of the Moon by Dean Koontz

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    Just finished "Transition" by Chaz Bono. An interesting read to help us straight folks understand the non-straight community, and to help see them as normal people with different challenges than some of us face.
    I have that on my "to read" list!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by elk View Post
    All the other books in my TBR pile were put on hold when I decided to try "Game of Thrones" by George RR Martin a couple of weeks before the HBO series debuted. My thoughts were that it would help me understand the characters and help me enjoy the series more fully.

I am so glad I picked up that book - it was incredible and it has kept my anticipation and expectations high for each new episode.

I then ripped through book#2, A Clash of Kings. I have read the books get better, and this one did not disappoint!

So now I am almost halfway through #3, A Storm of Swords and I am in complete awe! This book has just joined my top 10 faves of all time!

I highly recommend trying this series out. Although described as "fantasy", they are reminiscent of historical fiction. Plus there is plenty of action: wars, love, sex, intrigue and, yes, scary creatures.

Has anyone else read any of this series? Crit, I know you were reading #1, how are you enjoying it?
    I'm just over 250 pages into book 1. I just haven't had the time to read that I'd like. Plus, it did take me about 100 or so pages to really get into it. Now I love it and am clipping right along! I can't wait to get past the material they've covered in the show!

I'm totally tempted though, by the new Charlaine Harris, which arrived a few days ago. I may take a break from Mr. Martin and spend my Saturday in Bon Temps! I LOVE reading those books in one sitting.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Barney's Version by Mordecai Richler. I am loving it and now have really strong urges to both see the movie and to reread The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz for the fifth time. I was totally picturing Paul Giamatti as Barney Panofsky until I just now read a physical description of Barney - the brain is all befuddled now.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

+ Reply to Thread