+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

That family is so bizzare! My sister called yesterday and said her (nerdy) high-school aged daughter wants to read the Odyssey and did I know anything about it. I told her it is a poem written in the 8th century BC but is a classic she will hear referred to all her life. I told her that if she read it, I would, too and downloaded it for free onto my Kindle. Haven't heard yet if they're getting it for her. I may just send her a copy via Amazon. Has anyone read this? Thoughts?
    Count your blessings!

I'm much further into Ashley Judd's book now and my opinion of her mother has not changed; she's definitely NOT going to win any parenting awards. Having read Naomi's autobiography many years ago, I can now say that much of that book was total fiction and fairy tale. The number of times Ashley got bounced around to various family members while Naomi was off pursuing her music career with Wynonna is just heartbreaking. She also seems to have waged a propaganda campaign against Ashley's father, who she led Wynonna to believe was also HER father (he isn't). Basically, Naomi got pregnant as a teen by one boy and he refused to take responsibility. Then she conned another boy into marrying her by saying that, even though they'd just "fooled around" a little and never actually had sex, she still had gotten pregnant.

All in all, yeah, lots of dysfunction and not much fun in it. When I was not quite 100 pages into the book, I couldn't figure out if Ashley was just telling her story or applying for sainthood. Now that she's told more about her childhood (the book isn't linear), she's become more sympathetic. It's just another example of thinking someone's life is perfect and then finding out that it really isn't.

Gut - I remember reading The Odyssey in high school and enjoying it....as much as any 14 year old enjoys required reading! It's on my "re-read" list. I loved Beowulf from high school and am still trying to find the specific edition we read. The language was beautiful and I've never found a translation as good.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I'm much further into Ashley Judd's book now and my opinion of her mother has not changed; she's definitely NOT going to win any parenting awards.
    Off the subject of books, but still on the subject of Naomi Judd , I loathe the woman. I remember seeing her on Celebrity Jeopardy a number of years ago. She was playing against two blonde celebrities, neither of whom I recall but I don't believe that either of them were renowned for being a ditz. One of them gave a somewhat boneheaded answer, though, and Judd commented with her patented smug and pretentious facial expression something about that being a "blonde moment". Troll. Neither of her opponents looked amused, and neither did Trebek.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Or they could answer you in this thread - that's what it's for

I came home to find a copy of Ashley Judd's All That's Bitter and Sweet on my front porch and, since I just finished the book I was reading last night, I started reading. It's too soon to give a review, but it's clear that she's revealing a lot of things that her mother, in particular, must not have been happy about. It definitely doesn't paint Naomi in a flattering light.
    You know, when I saw that episode of Who Do you Think You Are with Ashley Judd, I questioned her checking the lineage of her father and not her more famous and well known mother.
    However, after about 5 minutes and quickly remembering that Naomi is perhaps not the greatest mother the world has ever seen, I understood Ashley's reasoning for the choice to go with her father.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere View Post
    You know, when I saw that episode of Who Do you Think You Are with Ashley Judd, I questioned her checking the lineage of her father and not her more famous and well known mother.
    However, after about 5 minutes and quickly remembering that Naomi is perhaps not the greatest mother the world has ever seen, I understood Ashley's reasoning for the choice to go with her father.
    I thought it was interesting at the time too. I had heard a little bit about the fact that Naomi might not have been thrilled with Ashley's book, so I figured that might have been part of the reason she chose to look into her dad's family. I will say that, based on what I read about him in her book, her father really has been a stand-up guy, taking responsibility for his short-comings and really working on their relationship. While he definitely was not a perfect father, I think Naomi really did a number on him and very much demonized him while the girls were growing up. Honestly, I've always thought Naomi Judd was a big fake, but now I don't think she's a very nice person either.

Anyway, I really did end up enjoying Ashley's book.

Now I'm reading Susan Vreeland's new book, Clara an Mr. Tiffany, about Clara Driscoll, a woman who worked for Louis Comfort Tiffany and is the person who developed the iconic Tiffany lamp. Although meeting the author in person (on a tour for her last book) was disappointing, her books are always fabulous.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

My mom just came to visit and recommended Oh My Stars by Lorna Landvik. I guess there are more books by her. I downloaded it and read it and now have to pick my next one. I've downloaded Barbara Kingsolver's The Lacuna. Has anyone read that?
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    My mom just came to visit and recommended Oh My Stars by Lorna Landvik. I guess there are more books by her. I downloaded it and read it and now have to pick my next one. I've downloaded Barbara Kingsolver's The Lacuna. Has anyone read that?
    I haven't read it yet, mainly because I was so turned off by The Poisonwood Bible. I have friends who have read and enjoyed it. Make sure to give a review!

Lorna Landvik is so much fun! I love her writing style.

Quote Originally Posted by Columbia, MD View Post
    I'm reading So Cold the River by Michael Koryta and am finding it difficult going. If anyone has read this and has a comment, please PM me.
    Thanks!!
    I read it a couple of weeks ago and actually quite enjoyed it. Very atmospheric and eerie in a slow-burning, nicely paced way, and I do love myself a haunted hotel. Loved the fact that Koryta mentions The Shining in the novel. Had to buy his new novel The Cypress House straight away to get a new fix. Didn't find it slow or difficult going, though. It's not the fastest of reads, though, and Michael Koryta does take his time to build up the atmosphere and tension. I'd say hang in there!

More reading: Just finished Mo Hayder's latest thriller, Hanging Hill. Creepy, disturbing stuff - and oh my God, the last chapter just about did me in! Talk about leaving your readers hanging (no pun intended). Beautifully done, but oh so frustrating (and disturbing as heck, especially if you're a parent). Has anyone read it? If so, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the ending.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    That family is so bizzare! My sister called yesterday and said her (nerdy) high-school aged daughter wants to read the Odyssey and did I know anything about it. I told her it is a poem written in the 8th century BC but is a classic she will hear referred to all her life. I told her that if she read it, I would, too and downloaded it for free onto my Kindle. Haven't heard yet if they're getting it for her. I may just send her a copy via Amazon. Has anyone read this? Thoughts?
    I prefer the Iliad to the Odyssey but both are good. A lot of people prefer the Odyssey as it is more in the adventure realm of story-telling, with lots of interesting set-pieces. I don't know what translations are available on the kindle but the one by Robert Fagles is good.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Gut- Your question about the Odyssey made me think of this thread in the books forum: There Will be a Quiz - Book Discussion Questions 101, specifically, this part:
    The Odyssey
    After the fall of Troy, it takes Odysseus 10 years to return home. Since Troy was only a hop, a skip and a jump from Greece, do you think Penelope should have been more skeptical about her husband’s explanation for the long delay — a cabal of one-eyed, man-eating giants; a troupe composed entirely of homicidal, aquatic chantoozies; a sorceress who can turn sailors into pigs? Isn’t the whole thing kind of sketchy?

In describing a woman who can effortlessly turn a man into a pig, is Homer criticizing men in general? Or only sailors? Do you personally know any women like that? Are any of them named Brandi? What time does her shift end?

If it took Odysseus 10 years to make a short trip across a microscopic body of water, why does everyone in “The Odyssey” keep insisting he’s so smart?

+ Reply to Thread