+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree214Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I didn't, but I went and checked imdb and saw that it's in post-production. I'm not familiar with the male leads (I did recognize the one who plays Sal from Law and Order SVU) but they certainly have the right look. Great roles for new, young actors. I'll look forward to seeing that.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by cablejockey View Post
    I will definitely look up the Doomsday book--it sounds interesting!
    The Doomsday Book is one of my all-time favorite books -- thus far I have read it three times.

I also enjoyed Blackout, and have bought the sequel, All Clear. Haven't read it yet, though. You know what they say -- so many books, so little time...

Willis's time travel books feature many of the same characters -- but none of them IMO will ever live up to The Doomsday Book!

elk

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    Jodi Picoult is more miss than hit with me, but I went ahead and picked up House Rules at the library. This one is definitely a hit and I'd put it up there with Nineteen Minutes. Great story, great plot and a real eye-opener in regards to kids afflicted with autism/Asperger's.
    AJane: I have met hundreds of people with Autism Spectrum Disorders and I totally loved House Rules. There are readers who believe it is not an accurate portrayal of Asperger's, however, I feel that since ASDs present in so many different ways that Picoult's take on a young man is quite accurate.

In other news, I am almost halfway through Game of Thrones by George RR Martin. I started reading it so I would have more understanding of the dozens of characters when the HBO series starts. What I never expected is that I LOVE it!!! It hooked me quickly.

Many compare it to Lord of the Rings, but I find the characters more realistic (even though it is a fantasy book) because they each have good and not-so-good traits. Also, there is humor in the book and I never discount lots of good sex!

There are four books so far and each is approximately 900 pages long. I am amazed that Martin can keep his audience captivated throughout. According to the posts I've seen on another site, every book is as intriguing, if not more so.

Has anyone else read this book/series? I would love to discuss it with others; I just can't wait to get back to it!!!
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

elk

Quote Originally Posted by elk View Post
    AJane: I have met hundreds of people with Autism Spectrum Disorders and I totally loved House Rules. There are readers who believe it is not an accurate portrayal of Asperger's, however, I feel that since ASDs present in so many different ways that Picoult's take on a young man is quite accurate.
    Sorry for the double post.

AJane, I just reread my reply to your post and I thought it sounded "off". I had meant to add a line in there about how I agreed with you on your assessment of the book and how glad I was you came away with such awareness. You are a star in my book!
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

Started The Hunger Games today. Weird reading a book again. Feels like juggling, especially if you want to eat or drink at the same time. Traded in my audio book, "On the Road" (Keroac) for The Crimson... Carnation? Some flower. A series the librarian said was popular.
    Count your blessings!

I'm in the middle of Daniel Silva's Moscow Rules. I love this series - a like a little art history mixed in with my international intrigue!

I watched a documentary about Howard Zinn on Netflix last night and pulled my copy of A People's History of the United States off the shelf again. Maybe I'll tackle that next.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I started The Hunger Games around noon yesterday and stayed up past my usual bedtime to finish it. I started book 2 with my morning coffee this morning and just now finished book 3. Nothing like a book marathon to start a vacation! Now I can get started on my list of things to do without being distracted.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by football_chick View Post
    Has anyone read Christopher Paolini's books - specifically Eragon, Eldest and Brisingr? I know they are for younger readers but they sound interesting. There is an article on USA Today promoting the 4th book coming out in November.
    This young man is an amazing author.

FORT Fogey

I'm reading So Cold the River by Michael Koryta and am finding it difficult going. If anyone has read this and has a comment, please PM me.
    Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Columbia, MD View Post
    I'm reading So Cold the River by Michael Koryta and am finding it difficult going. If anyone has read this and has a comment, please PM me.
    Thanks!!
    Or they could answer you in this thread - that's what it's for

I came home to find a copy of Ashley Judd's All That's Bitter and Sweet on my front porch and, since I just finished the book I was reading last night, I started reading. It's too soon to give a review, but it's clear that she's revealing a lot of things that her mother, in particular, must not have been happy about. It definitely doesn't paint Naomi in a flattering light.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread