+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree266Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

  1. #5691
    Best Buddies Gutmutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Nap Time
    Posts
    13,461

    Re: What are you reading?

    I just downloaded The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver. I loved her other novels, but it's been almost a decade since she wrote one! Has anyone read it yet? Amazon reviews are mostely raves.
    Count your blessings!

  2. #5692
    FORT Fogey cablejockey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    ontario canada
    Posts
    1,835

    Re: What are you reading?

    I've just finished Blackout by Connie Willis. A time travel story about 3 people stuck in London 1940. They went there to study the beginning of WW2 and couldn't get back. The author made me feel as if I was right there! Only problem is the story comes in 2 books, so now I have to find the next one to see howit all comes out!
    SF REVIEWS.NET: Blackout / Connie Willis ☆☆☆☆

  3. #5693
    Best Buddies Gutmutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Nap Time
    Posts
    13,461

    Re: What are you reading?

    I just finished listening to Jonathan Franz's Freedom on CDs in the car (19 CDs!!!). Has this already been discussed? I know it was an Oprah book.
    Count your blessings!

  4. #5694
    Bitten Critical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Fangtasia - The Bar With Bite
    Age
    46
    Posts
    17,028

    Re: What are you reading?

    Quote Originally Posted by cablejockey View Post
    I've just finished Blackout by Connie Willis. A time travel story about 3 people stuck in London 1940. They went there to study the beginning of WW2 and couldn't get back. The author made me feel as if I was right there! Only problem is the story comes in 2 books, so now I have to find the next one to see howit all comes out!
    SF REVIEWS.NET: Blackout / Connie Willis ☆☆☆☆
    If you liked that one, try her Doomsday Book. It came out in 1993 and is also about time travel. The time travel is back to the 14th century just as the Black Plague is about to break out. Really good stuff! I'll have to put Blackout on my list. I really like Willis's writing.

    I just started Maeve Binchy's new one, Minding Frankie. I wanted to dive in a few days ago, but knew I'd better wait for the weekend or I'd get nothing done! I'll likely spend the rest of the day lolling about reading this book and doing nothing else!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

  5. #5695
    FORT Fogey norealityhere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,148

    Re: What are you reading?

    I'm reading a book I picked up when the Mystery Bookstore went out of business. It's the Big Bad City written by Ed McBain aka Evan Hunter. Part of the 87th Precinct series. A really good police story.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

  6. #5696
    Anarchist AJane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Charming
    Posts
    9,357

    Re: What are you reading?

    Jodi Picoult is more miss than hit with me, but I went ahead and picked up House Rules at the library. This one is definitely a hit and I'd put it up there with Nineteen Minutes. Great story, great plot and a real eye-opener in regards to kids afflicted with autism/Asperger's.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

  7. #5697
    Best Buddies Gutmutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Nap Time
    Posts
    13,461

    Re: What are you reading?

    I traded in Freedom for Jack Kerouac's On the Road yesterday at the library... read by Matt Dillon. Haven't read that since college. When I googled it, I discovered it was published the year I was born... so that's going back a ways.
    Count your blessings!

  8. #5698
    FORT Fogey cablejockey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    ontario canada
    Posts
    1,835

    Re: What are you reading?

    Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    If you liked that one, try her Doomsday Book. It came out in 1993 and is also about time travel. The time travel is back to the 14th century just as the Black Plague is about to break out. Really good stuff! I'll have to put Blackout on my list. I really like Willis's writing.

    I just started Maeve Binchy's new one, Minding Frankie. I wanted to dive in a few days ago, but knew I'd better wait for the weekend or I'd get nothing done! I'll likely spend the rest of the day lolling about reading this book and doing nothing else!
    I will definitely look up the Doomsday book--it sounds interesting!

  9. #5699
    Anarchist AJane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Charming
    Posts
    9,357

    Re: What are you reading?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I traded in Freedom for Jack Kerouac's On the Road yesterday at the library... read by Matt Dillon. Haven't read that since college. When I googled it, I discovered it was published the year I was born... so that's going back a ways.
    I liked the intensity of Freedom but despised the ending. It turned out, though, that I preferred it to The Corrections. By a hair.

    So you're listening to On The Road? That would be great experience - the prose is fabulous.

    I googled and found my favourite passage...I think I would like to hear Matt Dillon read this:

    "...the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones that never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn..."
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

  10. #5700
    Best Buddies Gutmutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Nap Time
    Posts
    13,461

    Re: What are you reading?

    That sums it all up rather nicely. You do know they're making a movie of it, right?
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.