+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree266Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I just downloaded The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver. I loved her other novels, but it's been almost a decade since she wrote one! Has anyone read it yet? Amazon reviews are mostely raves.
    Count your blessings!

I've just finished Blackout by Connie Willis. A time travel story about 3 people stuck in London 1940. They went there to study the beginning of WW2 and couldn't get back. The author made me feel as if I was right there! Only problem is the story comes in 2 books, so now I have to find the next one to see howit all comes out!
    SF REVIEWS.NET: Blackout / Connie Willis ☆☆☆☆

I just finished listening to Jonathan Franz's Freedom on CDs in the car (19 CDs!!!). Has this already been discussed? I know it was an Oprah book.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by cablejockey View Post
    I've just finished Blackout by Connie Willis. A time travel story about 3 people stuck in London 1940. They went there to study the beginning of WW2 and couldn't get back. The author made me feel as if I was right there! Only problem is the story comes in 2 books, so now I have to find the next one to see howit all comes out!
    SF REVIEWS.NET: Blackout / Connie Willis ☆☆☆☆
    If you liked that one, try her Doomsday Book. It came out in 1993 and is also about time travel. The time travel is back to the 14th century just as the Black Plague is about to break out. Really good stuff! I'll have to put Blackout on my list. I really like Willis's writing.

I just started Maeve Binchy's new one, Minding Frankie. I wanted to dive in a few days ago, but knew I'd better wait for the weekend or I'd get nothing done! I'll likely spend the rest of the day lolling about reading this book and doing nothing else!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I'm reading a book I picked up when the Mystery Bookstore went out of business. It's the Big Bad City written by Ed McBain aka Evan Hunter. Part of the 87th Precinct series. A really good police story.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Jodi Picoult is more miss than hit with me, but I went ahead and picked up House Rules at the library. This one is definitely a hit and I'd put it up there with Nineteen Minutes. Great story, great plot and a real eye-opener in regards to kids afflicted with autism/Asperger's.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I traded in Freedom for Jack Kerouac's On the Road yesterday at the library... read by Matt Dillon. Haven't read that since college. When I googled it, I discovered it was published the year I was born... so that's going back a ways.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    If you liked that one, try her Doomsday Book. It came out in 1993 and is also about time travel. The time travel is back to the 14th century just as the Black Plague is about to break out. Really good stuff! I'll have to put Blackout on my list. I really like Willis's writing.

I just started Maeve Binchy's new one, Minding Frankie. I wanted to dive in a few days ago, but knew I'd better wait for the weekend or I'd get nothing done! I'll likely spend the rest of the day lolling about reading this book and doing nothing else!
    I will definitely look up the Doomsday book--it sounds interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I traded in Freedom for Jack Kerouac's On the Road yesterday at the library... read by Matt Dillon. Haven't read that since college. When I googled it, I discovered it was published the year I was born... so that's going back a ways.
    I liked the intensity of Freedom but despised the ending. It turned out, though, that I preferred it to The Corrections. By a hair.

So you're listening to On The Road? That would be great experience - the prose is fabulous.

I googled and found my favourite passage...I think I would like to hear Matt Dillon read this:

"...the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones that never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn..."
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

That sums it all up rather nicely. You do know they're making a movie of it, right?
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread