+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree248Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I am in the middle of The Witch's Daughter by Paula Brackston. So far its a good read. The Witch's Daughter | Paula Brackston | Macmillan

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    Stacy Schiff's Cleopatra-A Life. I picked it up on the week-long shelf at the library but there's no way I could get through it in that short a time, so I think I'll just return it and buy my own copy. I really want to finish it as I'm finding it absolutely fascinating. Beautifully written and painstakingly researched. I also want to pass it on to my older daughter, who shares my interest in ancient Egypt.
    I just picked that one up, too. What an excellent book so far! Not only is the subject fascinating, but Schiff's style of writing is totally absorbing. I wish she'd written my high school history books.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    I just picked that one up, too. What an excellent book so far! Not only is the subject fascinating, but Schiff's style of writing is totally absorbing. I wish she'd written my high school history books.
    I really need to read that book! It's sitting in a giant pile of books behind my couch and I keep meaning to read it....and then I get side-tracked by another book.

Right now, I'm reading Rogues' Gallery by Michael Gross for my book club. It's a history of the Met in NYC and all the men who begged borrowed and stole to make it the museum it is today. A few years ago, we read Museum, which is also about the Met, but was almost a joint effort WITH the Met. Michael Gross did not get any cooperation from the Met on this book, so there's more dirt!

Last week, I read 13 Rue Therese by Elena Mauli Shapiro, which was a bit of a let down. I'd heard so many good things about it, but I just didn't love it. It felt too much like those horrid Griffin and Sabine books (apologies for anyone who liked those books) - cute and gimmicky with little substance.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Love You More by Lisa Gardner, Rainwater by Sandra Brown, Waiting patiently for the new Kristan Hannah Night Roads. Any book by her requires klenex. Linda Castilo Sworn to Silence and Pray For Silence.

I'm reading So Much Pretty by Cara Hoffman. It's a little hard to follow and I'm not enjoying it so far. It's starting to pick up but she rambles a lot.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

It has taken awhile to really pull me in (on my Kindle it was around 61% before I felt like I couldn't put the book down) but now it's gotten kind of interesting. I still don't think I'd recommend it to anyone but it's taken a twist that has surprised me.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

My sister had recommended the author, Sarah Addison Allen for light, magical reading. I ended up reading all 3 available on Kindle rather quickly... Garden Spells, The Sugar Queen, and The Girl Who Chased the Moon. Next up after I write my grad papers are the Hunger Games books I finally got back from my daughter's friend. They are actual books which I haven't read in over a year and a half since I got my Kindle. I wonder if I'll notice a difference.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    My sister had recommended the author, Sarah Addison Allen for light, magical reading. I ended up reading all 3 available on Kindle rather quickly... Garden Spells, The Sugar Queen, and The Girl Who Chased the Moon. Next up after I write my grad papers are the Hunger Games books I finally got back from my daughter's friend. They are actual books which I haven't read in over a year and a half since I got my Kindle. I wonder if I'll notice a difference.
    I love Sarah Addison Allen! And while reading her Southern magical realism books, I totally suspend disbelief.

I bought and read the first two listed above in print form, and bought and read The Girl Who Chased the Moon on my nook. I have just ordered her new one, The Peach Keeper, in print form -- for two reasons. (1) It was more expensive to buy the nookbook from B & N than the print one, with discounts and a coupon. It kills me to pay more for a virtual book than a "real" one, and (2) I have two fellow teachers who are into Sarah Addison Allen I can share a printed book with, and the nook version is not a LendMe book.

After owning the nook, I find when I read a printed book now, I get annoyed if the page is printed too close to the binding, and also that I can easily lose my place. Neither one of those things is a problem when reading an e-book!

I got a really cool bookmark the last time I was at the library. Now I'll be able to use it. I have a small bookmark collection gathering dust since I got the Kindle.
    Is The Peach Keeper out yet? I read the first chapter of it at the end of Girl Who Chased the Moon.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I got a really cool bookmark the last time I was at the library. Now I'll be able to use it. I have a small bookmark collection gathering dust since I got the Kindle.
    Is The Peach Keeper out yet? I read the first chapter of it at the end of Girl Who Chased the Moon.
    Yes, it's out and the Kindle edition is $12.99, same as the nookbook price.

+ Reply to Thread