+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree254Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    Who did they cast? I did a search and I don't see anything about who was cast? I'm hoping they cast Alex Pettyfer.
    I don't know! It was up briefly on IMDB but they pulled it. I can't remember his name now, and though he has been in quite a few things, I'd never heard of him.
    Rumor has it they are casting Jennifer Lawrence for Katniss.

I just finished reading the Hunger Games trilogy and I have to say I was hooked from the first couple of pages!

I'm reading a course book, Arts with the Brain in Mind by Eric Jensen about incorporating arts into your curriculum and the brain science that supports the arts as a major enhancer of all subjects, but also should be required in their own rights. Strong arguments and I'm only 3 chapters in. I love to highlight coursebook texts. It feels so sacreligious!
    Count your blessings!

I'm reading a book called Victims by Dorothy Uhnak.
    I picked it up when the bookstore went out of business.
    It's a pretty old book - written about 25 years ago.
    Set in NYC, it's a take off on the Kitty Genovese murder where nobody came to the aid of the woman when she was being attacked, though many witnessed it from their homes.
    It's fascinating.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Just finished The Help for my book club. What a compelling read, or listen in my case as I listened to the audio. The auditors all spoke with a southern accent and that really added to the story IMO. I think you all discussed this earlier this year, so I'll try to go find those posts.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by justCoz View Post
    Just finished The Help for my book club. What a compelling read, or listen in my case as I listened to the audio. The auditors all spoke with a southern accent and that really added to the story IMO. I think you all discussed this earlier this year, so I'll try to go find those posts.
    We did, and it was one of my favs. I'm sure with the audio it was even better!
    RIP....Kevin 11-29-09

I've currently got The Girl Who Played with Fire (paperback) and Lionel Shriver's A Perfectly Good Family (Kobo) on the go. The Girl Who Played with Fire is okay, but not quite as engrossing as The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Nonetheless, I will pick up The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest when it comes out in paperback. And per almost usual, I am thoroughly engrossed in the Lionel Shriver book even though, per absolute usual, I despise each and every one of her characters.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by chitex3 View Post
    We did, and it was one of my favs. I'm sure with the audio it was even better!
    It was great with the audio since I didn't have to think the accent in my head, the readers said it that way. A couple people at book club last night who actually read the book said they had to read it thinking of the accent to really get into it. There were 4 readers too, which I always like in an audio book. One voice for each of the main characters and a 4th for the benefit dinner. Each reader would read the whole section of a characters first point of view. It was a bit odd sometimes when the other people suddenly sounded different but overall I tremendously enjoyed it - and that was just the reading of it, not to mention the book itself.

I almost always enjoy historical fiction and being about 5-6 years behind this era it was fascinating. I liked how she threw in what major events were happening, even down to the pill, and the surgeon general talking about smoking, along with some major news stories of the days. Again, all this was incidental to the actual story but added so much to my enjoyment. And as I type this I realize enjoyment isn't even a great word, because while that's true it was also a book that made me stop and consider things.

I have downloaded The Postmistress based on recommendations on this site, but I have to admit that 60 pages in I'm still having trouble getting into the story. I feel like the author has introduced to many characters quickly in 2 countries and I'm still having trouble trying to remember them or getting them straight. I usually agree with the recommendations, so I will stick with it, but did anyone feel the same way when reading it?

I tried to read The Postmistress too, because it sounded so good! But try as I may, I couldnt get into it! So I never finished it.

+ Reply to Thread