+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I didn't make it far my first go round but I had just finished another book and had been reading for hours when I started Witches. I did read some more today and I'm heading to bed in a few and that's where I do my serious reading... I work full time and have three boys, my youngest being eight, so I can't always just sit and lose myself in a book. Although, I really enjoy it when I get the chance.

And there's nothing wrong with Chick Lit. I like mysteries and suspense with lots of murder and mayhem. When I've read too much without a break, I start having freaky dreams...lol. That's when I know it's time to switch to something light and fluffy. Chick Lit is my go to "break" reading.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

I couldn't find the Hunger Games series, so called my daughter. She lent them out to a friend (reason #583 why I love my Kindle - my other daughter and I share an account) but will get them back when she's home for spring break. I quit on a novel called Anthill. I almost never quit on a book, but this was ridiculous. I have a car appointment today, so will have to choose something new. Serious or light? That's what I need to decide. I've got lots of both waiting to be read. I tend toward novels, but my Kindle daughter likes books like 3 Cups of Tea and Princess (Egypt/women).
    Count your blessings!

FORT Fogey

Three Cups of Tea, actually, is set in Afghanistan, and I did not like it. I know it's supposed to be a fantastic book, but I just didn't love the writing. It's a beautiful, inspiring story though. Another good one, about women in the Middle East, is A Thousand Splendid Suns, although it's quite emotionally draining.

I'm glad others enjoyed The Hunger Games!! DragonLady the violence is upsetting, but also effective to tell the story and really involve you in this awful, corrupt world that Katniss lives in. And, I promise you, none of it is gratuitous or simply for shock value.

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by tamelaine View Post
    Me too! Can't wait for the movie, though I'm a bit disappointed by who they cast as Peeta. He was my favorite and I was hoping to at least get a hot guy to drool over, as well as see an awesome movie, but the guy just isn't cute for me! And on top of that, he has dark hair! WAsn't Peeta supposed to be blonde?
    Who did they cast? I did a search and I don't see anything about who was cast? I'm hoping they cast Alex Pettyfer.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Well, I said I was quitting Anthill, but I took my Kindle with me to my car appointment and put the type at the smallest size and practiced my speed reading. I would slow down when things got interesting. The car couldn't be fixed today, so I'm driving a loaner, but I finished the book.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by talldede View Post
    Just finished The Tea Rose and The Winter Rose by Jennifer Donnelly am now reading her YA book, Revolution, which is a complete departure from historical fiction, and very good.
    I agree that Revolution is excellent -- I didn't realize it was a YA book until well after I began it.

Quote Originally Posted by elk View Post
    For something light, yet sad, try One Day (sorry the author escapes me right now). I loved the characters and although it seems very When Harry Met Sally in the beginning, it changes and blossoms into something quite special. Also finished The Radleys by Matt Haigh. This was funny and a quick read - very enjoyable!
    I have bought and read both of those books (one in print, one for the nook) and agree that both were well-written and enjoyable -- and the best thing of all is that they are different enough from the usual "chick-lit" and "vampire lit" fare that you don't feel like you're reading the same story for the fifth or sixth time.

I use the terms "chick-lit" and "vampire lit" with affection -- not denigrating either one.

CCL

I'm on chapter 14 of A Discovery of Witches. So far underwhelmed. I find the romance juvenile -more apropos to the teen set of Twilight than suiting a pair of mature, thirty-something academics (Well, one much older than that, in truth). And I could do without the long talks about wine and the yoga scenes. The science is interesting -I wish they woul concentrate more on that and on the Ashmole book.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    Juliet by Anne Fortier was really good. It's about a descendant of Juliet (yes, that Juliet) who goes to Italy to uncover her family's secret past and look for a treasure connected to said history. The book goes back-and-forth between the current Juliet's (aka Julie's) search and the story of the original Juliet, re-set in the city of Siena. A blend of mystery/romance/adventure...a gripping read. I really enjoyed it (and I'm not a huge fan of Shakespeare's Romeo & Juliet. While I like elements of the play, and the language is lovely, of course, I never really believed Romeo's transformation from a playboy to an ardent lover. I actually preferred the Romeo & Juliet story in this novel).
    I'm thinking of reading A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness next. It's gotten some good reviews. It is about a scholar who is descended from witches (though she does not practice herself) who finds a magical book and is soon beset upon by magical creatures. I believe she falls in love with a vampire to boot (but doesn't everyone these days? ).
    After having read and loved Russian Winter, I was hoping for another good book to read. I was glad I read Juliet. Great book.

I changed pace... I am now reading the new book, The Sentry by Robert Crais.
    I had to find out what wrong Joe Pike and Elvis Cole are righting and what evil person is getting their rear end kicked.
    So far, I haven't been disapointed.

I've been reading Steve Martin's The Pleasure of my Company - a laugh out loud book!!! I'm afraid it might be the slightest bit politically incorrect, but I haven't laughed out loud while reading a book in a long time. This is the third book of his I've read and they've all been totally different. I love the way he plays with words.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread