+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree249Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    The violence in the book, to me, is more Lord of the Flies than The Running Man (which is similar in theme...I also thought of A Handmaid's Tale). If you look at it as an alternate reality, maybe the violence would be more palatable? It's a kind of fantasy fiction, and an imagined future is always quite bloody.

I liked it for many reasons. The writing is top-notch for this kind of novel. The heroine is strong, driven, talented, clever, and loyal - a great fictional role model for a young female reader (though the subject matter would definitely intrigue boys as well). Katniss is light-years removed from the majority of the young-adult heroines in current literature, and as a reader, I cared about what happened to her - a rebel with a cause. The supporting characters are well thought-out and the relationships are bittersweet enough to be realistic. The author doesn't try to dumb down the hardships and tragedy of Katniss' world for her younger readers, and I appreciated that she didn't pander to any politically-correct notion that kids can't handle unhappy or difficult themes. Most of all, though, the story is edge-of-your-seat exciting - I could not put the books down. Once I can pry it out of my daughter's hands, I can't wait to re-read them.
    Thanks! I'll keep reading. Hate to not finish a book.

elk

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Has anyone else started A Discovery of Witches? I'm about 130 pages in and I LOVE it! Right now, it still feels like it's only just starting and I already know the ending is going to come too quickly.
    Crit, I just bought this last night and am really looking forward to it! In an earlier post, you mentioned Feed. That book is second on my list.

I am just finishing The Boleyn Inheritance by Phillipa Gregory. Although most people seem to prefer The Other Boleyn Girl, I like Inheritance more. I've become fascinated with Anne of Cleves and I find this book very clever.

I have to add my endorsement to The Hunger Games trilogy. It is so nice to have a strong young female as lead character.

For something light, yet sad, try One Day (sorry the author escapes me right now). I loved the characters and although it seems very When Harry Met Sally in the beginning, it changes and blossoms into something quite special. Also finished The Radleys by Matt Haigh. This was funny and a quick read - very enjoyable!
    Last edited by elk; 02-24-2011 at 07:58 AM. Reason: corrected title
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

Has anyone else started A Discovery of Witches? I'm about 130 pages in and I LOVE it! Right now, it still feels like it's only just starting and I already know the ending is going to come too quickly.
    Not yet, but it's next on my list. I'm reading a book a friend lent me on the Kindle right now. Just a fluff supernatural book but it's not bad. I'm excited to start Witches.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

CCL

I haven't started A Discovery of Witches yet as I had to charge my ipad before reading. Which just sounds funny, having to charge a book (or the reading device, anyways) before diving in.
    Quote Originally Posted by elk View Post
    [

For something light, yet sad, try One Day (sorry the author escapes me right now). I loved the characters and although it seems very When Harry Met Sally in the beginning, it changes and blossoms into something quite special. Also finished The Radleys by Matt Haigh. This was funny and a quick read - very enjoyable!
    The author of One Day is David Nicholls. It's an excellent book. It's been made into a film with Anne Hathaway and Jim Sturgess; I believe it is coming out later this year.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I finished A Discovery of Witches this morning. I read until about 3 am and then woke up and started reading again. LOVED it! I won't give anything away, but I will say that the door is open for more books.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

I'm reading Michael Oher's I Beat the Odds. It's a story only he could have told, because most of it is undocumented in The Blind Side. It's inspirational. English and writing is not this young man's forte, but his story is compelling. I highly recommend it. I think it's #6 this week on the NY Times Bestseller list. It's a fast, short and unforgettable read.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

I finished A Discovery of Witches this morning. I read until about 3 am and then woke up and started reading again. LOVED it! I won't give anything away, but I will say that the door is open for more books.
    I started it last night and so far, I like it. I'm not too far into it, just to the part
    Click to see Spoiler:
    where she meets the vampire in the library
    . I didn't want to put it down....ended up falling asleep in the middle of reading. Woke up with the light still on and my kindle on the floor beside my bed..
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    My daughter and I are huge fans of the series and we're now waiting anxiously for the movie. IMO this series blows the rest of the popular young adult fiction series out of the water - just in a different league altogether. The writing is definitely good enough to satisfy an adult reader. I can't recommend them enough - give them a go, Gut.
    Me too! Can't wait for the movie, though I'm a bit disappointed by who they cast as Peeta. He was my favorite and I was hoping to at least get a hot guy to drool over, as well as see an awesome movie, but the guy just isn't cute for me! And on top of that, he has dark hair! WAsn't Peeta supposed to be blonde?

I'm reading Hearts Blood by Juliet Marilier and loving it! In fact, I should be reading now instead of being on here because I know I will stay up far too late reading.
    The next book I have waiting for me is Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter. Anyone read it yet?

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo View Post
    I started it last night and so far, I like it. I'm not too far into it, just to the part
    Click to see Spoiler:
    where she meets the vampire in the library
    . I didn't want to put it down....ended up falling asleep in the middle of reading. Woke up with the light still on and my kindle on the floor beside my bed..
    That's pretty much what happened with me! I read about 400 pages in one sitting and got within 100 pages of the end and just could not finish it that night. I kept falling asleep, which means I was REALLY tired! I woke right back up the next morning and finished it. I really hope she writes at least one more book with these characters. I really enjoyed it and it seems like she could tell so many more stories.

Now I'm reading The Mistress of Nothing by Kate Pullinger, a fictional account of the real lives of a wealthy woman and her maid in Victorian England who travel to Egypt for the lady's health. I'm only a few pages in, so I don't have much of an opinion yet.

Up next is Cathy Lamb's Such a Pretty Face, which seems like slightly literary chick lit. I liked her book Julia's Chocolates and I think this one is along the same lines. It'll be a good read for Sunday when it's supposed to be cold and rainy!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread