+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    I'm thinking of reading A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness next. It's gotten some good reviews. It is about a scholar who is descended from witches (though she does not practice herself) who finds a magical book and is soon beset upon by magical creatures. I believe she falls in love with a vampire to boot (but doesn't everyone these days? ).
    That one's in my pile of books too. I'm deciding on my next read right now and that one sounds intriguing. about the vampires - true enough!

I finished Feed a few minutes ago and WOW. I probably plowed through about 400 pages yesterday and finished the last 75 or so as soon as I got home from work. I was SO bummed I had to work today! Total page turner! Definitely Book two of the (planned) trilogy comes out in a few months. I think it will be going into my Amazon cart tonight!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

The Discovery of Witches is up after I finish the series I am reading right now. Currently reading through Rachel Caine's Morganville Vampire series. It is a YA series. I picked up the first one from the library and within a few chapters was immediately hooked. In a week, I have plowed through the first 6 in the series. Three more to go. I am skeptical because the BIG plot that has been woven throughout the previous books came to a head at the end of this past book. Reading the summary of the next 3 books makes them look a little more standalone, so hoping that this is not one of those cases of mediocre plots and author churning out books just to make a profit.

I actually went for a butch spy novel for the weekend. I'm reading Steven Gore's Absolute Risk. Lots of financial and political intrigue and I should finish it later today. I needed to cleanse the palate before I start something else, I guess. Discovery of Witches might be next
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

FORT Fogey

Has anyone here read The Hunger Games? It's technically young adult fiction, but still phenomenal.

My daughters have both read them and are bugging me to read them.
    Count your blessings!

CCL

Read them Gutmutter - they are ace.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain View Post
    Has anyone here read The Hunger Games? It's technically young adult fiction, but still phenomenal.
    My daughter and I are huge fans of the series and we're now waiting anxiously for the movie. IMO this series blows the rest of the popular young adult fiction series out of the water - just in a different league altogether. The writing is definitely good enough to satisfy an adult reader. I can't recommend them enough - give them a go, Gut.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain View Post
    I'm glad I found this thread. My daughter (35 yrs old) begged me to read this. I'm about 1/3 into it and I'm still not getting why it's so popular.

Yes, it's written very well but first, I had a problem with killing children. ( I know, strange, but somehow that bothers me. )

so I'm trying to get past that but I'm still unsure what's so good about it.
    what am I missing? I'll finish it but I'm just not that into it.
    Help?? Anyone???

Has anyone else started A Discovery of Witches? I'm about 130 pages in and I LOVE it! Right now, it still feels like it's only just starting and I already know the ending is going to come too quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    I'm glad I found this thread. My daughter (35 yrs old) begged me to read this. I'm about 1/3 into it and I'm still not getting why it's so popular. Yes, it's written very well but first, I had a problem with killing children. ( I know, strange, but somehow that bothers me. ) so I'm trying to get past that but I'm still unsure what's so good about it. what am I missing? I'll finish it but I'm just not that into it. Help?? Anyone???
    The violence in the book, to me, is more Lord of the Flies than The Running Man (which is similar in theme...I also thought of A Handmaid's Tale). If you look at it as an alternate reality, maybe the violence would be more palatable? It's a kind of fantasy fiction, and an imagined future is always quite bloody.

I liked it for many reasons. The writing is top-notch for this kind of novel. The heroine is strong, driven, talented, clever, and loyal - a great fictional role model for a young female reader (though the subject matter would definitely intrigue boys as well). Katniss is light-years removed from the majority of the young-adult heroines in current literature, and as a reader, I cared about what happened to her - a rebel with a cause. The supporting characters are well thought-out and the relationships are bittersweet enough to be realistic. The author doesn't try to dumb down the hardships and tragedy of Katniss' world for her younger readers, and I appreciated that she didn't pander to any politically-correct notion that kids can't handle unhappy or difficult themes. Most of all, though, the story is edge-of-your-seat exciting - I could not put the books down. Once I can pry it out of my daughter's hands, I can't wait to re-read them.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread