+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree249Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;4192519;
    My understanding is that he has more than 1 home and divides his time.

As far as Given Day, I never read it. I'm more into the mystery / dark stuff.
    One day, I will pick it up, however, as I have seen good reviews like yours. Thanks
    Any Given Day felt like a bit of a departure for Lehane, although I haven't read all of his books. I thought it was incredibly well written and really a great story.

I finally finished The Russian Winter last night and I totally agree with everyone about wanting just one more chapter! Still, I really loved it!

For a complete change of pace, I picked up Feed by Mira Grant. It's a zombie apocalypse/thriller set in the Santa Cruz area. How much further away from Stalinist Russia/the Boston art world could I have gotten? We're going to have LOTS of rain tomorrow, so I'm planning on staying in and reading all day!

ETA: tante suzie - I have Cleopatra in my pile and have heard good things about it too. When I finally get around to reading it, I'll report back
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Cleopatra is also on my want list, I've read so many good reviews about it. Abe Lincoln: Vampire Hunter was a blast to read (and hepcat was right, it was done with more care than Zombies) - now I want to read more about Abe and the Civil War.

But I picked up In Defense of Food after seeing it on Amazon's bargain list. Very interesting read so far...
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Likes Scottish Vikings! talldede's Avatar

Hi - I've not been here for weeks. Glad to see Russian Winter was enjoyed, I truly loved it! What gorgeous writing, I was immersed from page one.

Just finished The Tea Rose and The Winter Rose by Jennifer Donnelly am now reading her YA book, Revolution, which is a complete departure from historical fiction, and very good.

Just finished Shadowfever by Karen Marie Moning.

Shadowfever is the fifth of a five part story, in order the books are:

1. Darkfever
    2. Bloodfever
    3. Faefever
    4. Dreamfever
    5. Shadowfever

The author is a romance author who also has a paranormal romance set with Druids, the Fae and humans. There are many urban fantasy series where there are worlds that always had the fae in it but are now revealed and the books show how people deal with it. The big reveal has already happened. This is the first series I have read where the heroine is in place before the reveal and is there when the reveal occurs and sees the chaos that occurs when fae meets human kind. Basically one third of the world's population is killed...3 billion people gone.

What I like about this series is that while it is a wonderful playground with many of the authors previous characters meeting and interacting with each other, there are many comic pieces where there are too many alpha males in the room and nothing gets accomplished. I like the worldview and how many lose ends are tied up but as in real life not everything is perfect and it is even noted that it is not always a good idea for godlike creatures to pack away everything neat and tidy. It can actually cause more complications down the road.

I do like this series and the author has a very interesting world and world view, sometimes fun and sometimes very dark. The sex can be a be a bit brass and raunchy but it is also fun.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Now that I'm a few hundred pages into Mira Grant's Feed, I have a clearer picture of what it's about. The two main characters are adopted siblings who, along with their tech person, a girl nicknamed Buffy, travel around and document the undead and blog about it. The zombie situation arose as a result of biomedical research on cancer and the common cold and, because the mainstream media was slow to pick up on the story, bloggers became the trusted news sources.

The story starts out in the Bay Area - the main characters live in Berkeley - but it heads east after a few chapters. According to the back cover, they'll come across evidence about who's really to blame for the zombies.

I was surprised to find that Mira Grant writes horror under her name, but also writes fantasy as Seanan McGuire, who I also really like! I was thinking, before I found that out, that she has a pretty incredible imagination and I thought the same thing when I was reading McGuire. Anyway, I recommend both authors
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Just finished reading James Patterson's Swimsuit. What a horrid story. I don't mean the book wasn't a good read but it was just the subject material was pretty creepy. A killer is on the loose in Hawaii and ends up at a photo shoot for super models on the beach in Maui. I was looking for a good beach read as I was heading to Maui with my husband for our anniversary. Thought it would be fun to read on the long 12 hour flight and be a good beach read with lots of good information about the area as a side benefit. It was a little disappointing that there was not more local flavor added to the story since that is where I was headed. Sometimes that is what I love best in books is feeling like you learned a lot about a place within the story line. Not so much. If you like murder mysteries with a very scary lead you will like this book with it's twists and turns.
    Last edited by Tobi; 02-17-2011 at 08:55 PM.

MRD

I quit reading Patterson a few years ago. He and his collaborators have watered down his talent to the point where his books are mere shadows of what they were.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    I quit reading Patterson a few years ago. He and his collaborators have watered down his talent to the point where his books are mere shadows of what they were.
    I agree. Years ago, Danielle Steele...I read her books and loved them. Then she started pumping out several books each year and the more she wrote, the worse they got. I hate waiting a year for a new novel by my favorite authors to come out, but I know when they do...they are going to be good. They lose their magic quality when they rush through them.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

FORT Fanatic

Agree, MRD hadn't read Steele in years for those same reasons, but just read Southern Night, so so.
    RIP....Kevin 11-29-09

CCL

Juliet by Anne Fortier was really good. It's about a descendant of Juliet (yes, that Juliet) who goes to Italy to uncover her family's secret past and look for a treasure connected to said history. The book goes back-and-forth between the current Juliet's (aka Julie's) search and the story of the original Juliet, re-set in the city of Siena. A blend of mystery/romance/adventure...a gripping read. I really enjoyed it (and I'm not a huge fan of Shakespeare's Romeo & Juliet. While I like elements of the play, and the language is lovely, of course, I never really believed Romeo's transformation from a playboy to an ardent lover. I actually preferred the Romeo & Juliet story in this novel).
    I'm thinking of reading A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness next. It's gotten some good reviews. It is about a scholar who is descended from witches (though she does not practice herself) who finds a magical book and is soon beset upon by magical creatures. I believe she falls in love with a vampire to boot (but doesn't everyone these days? ).
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

+ Reply to Thread