+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;4188712;
    I reserved both Michael Connelly's and Dennis Lehane's latest.

My luck - both came in my queue together.

Has anybody read either?
    Can they recommend which to read first?
    Both authors are my faves and I can't decide.

TIA
    I read Michael Connelly's latest - and it was pretty good. I enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4188661;
    I'm finally going to finish The Russian Winter! I don't know why it's taken me so long, because I love it. Maybe I just want it to last! I've also had lots of other things going on and not a lot of time to devote to reading. It definitely makes me want to work on my Russian, which has gotten so bad. You really DO lose it if you don't use it!

Not sure what's up next. Lots of great things to choose from! I might pick some short books so I feel like I'm making a dent in the big piles of books around here!
    I loved Russian Winter and as Gutmutter said, It really stays with you. When I got to the last page, I thought... No, It has to have one more chapter. I plan on reading it again.

THanks, Margaritaville, for the heads up.
    I think I'll pick up Connelly first, as I just saw him again at a bookstore closing a couple of weeks ago.
    That'll be my tribute to him - since he always supports local events.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;4190700;
    THanks, Margaritaville, for the heads up.
    I think I'll pick up Connelly first, as I just saw him again at a bookstore closing a couple of weeks ago.
    That'll be my tribute to him - since he always supports local events.
    I haven't read either of their new ones, but I'll always go with Connelly over Lehane. I've never NOT liked a Connelly book and Lehane has been hit and miss for me. MC definitely supports local stores and shows at a lot of book signings. When he lived in SoCal, he would do signings at a store in my hometown and my mom would always go and get a copy signed for me - I have a number if signed 1st ed. from him. I was SO bummed when he moved out of the area.

The first year I went to the annual booksellers convention I attend in October, he was there signing, but I missed him by 5 minutes! I could have killed my then manager, who didn't want to get there too early! I missed out on a signed 1st from him for $1 AND I missed meeting him, which was the bigger deal. I guess I haven't quite forgiven her for that one
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;4190066;
    I just finished The Help and I'm glad to say it lived up to the hype. I so enjoyed it. And if anyone deserved 2 helpings of Minny's "terrible, awful" pie, it was definitely Miss Hilly.
    Amen to that! As Minny would probably say it, "You is so right!" I also just finished reading The Help, and LOVED it.

I remember the early '60s -- I was a little girl then -- but I did not live in the South back then. I do now.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4190959;
    I haven't read either of their new ones, but I'll always go with Connelly over Lehane. I've never NOT liked a Connelly book and Lehane has been hit and miss for me. MC definitely supports local stores and shows at a lot of book signings. When he lived in SoCal, he would do signings at a store in my hometown and my mom would always go and get a copy signed for me - I have a number if signed 1st ed. from him. I was SO bummed when he moved out of the area.

The first year I went to the annual booksellers convention I attend in October, he was there signing, but I missed him by 5 minutes! I could have killed my then manager, who didn't want to get there too early! I missed out on a signed 1st from him for $1 AND I missed meeting him, which was the bigger deal. I guess I haven't quite forgiven her for that one
    He still lives here, Critical. I've seen him at events on a regular basis.
    As far as Lehane, I've loved all his books except for the one that Scorcese made into a movie - Shelter Island.
    For me, he captures the essence of Boston's underbelly.

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;4192002;
    He still lives here, Critical. I've seen him at events on a regular basis.
    As far as Lehane, I've loved all his books except for the one that Scorcese made into a movie - Shelter Island.
    For me, he captures the essence of Boston's underbelly.
    He must have moved back, because I'm almost positive that he moved to Florida a number of years ago. I remember my mom telling me about it after she'd been to a book signing he did.

Okay - I just went and looked it up (just to make sure I wasn't completely mis-remembering!) and he did move back to Florida in 2001, where his and his wife's family still live. Maybe he returned to CA, but I didn't find anything saying when he did....I just checked his site and it says he still lives in FL. Maybe he flies to CA for events a lot.

Of Lehane's books, my favorite is probably The Given Day. Historical fiction is my favorite genre, and he did it really well in that book.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

My understanding is that he has more than 1 home and divides his time.

As far as Given Day, I never read it. I'm more into the mystery / dark stuff.
    One day, I will pick it up, however, as I have seen good reviews like yours. Thanks

FORT Newbie

I read a few books a week and just finished Unbroken and The Warmth of Other Suns. I only read mysteries
    For a long time and they are all the same after a while. I still do read Connelly, Lehan, & Baldacci. I just
    Started to read Jonathan Tropper's books. Even if you are not Jewish, his books are fun to read. Also loved
    Sarah's Key & The Help. I understand that Cleopatra is a good read.

Right now I am in the middle of Deliver Us From Evil by David Baldacci. Its good but I find the torture scenes a bit much.
    DavidBaldacci.com - Deliver Us From Evil by David Baldacci

+ Reply to Thread