+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I read Freedom in a week. My head is throbbing. I liked it, to my surprise, but hated, hated, hated the ending (schmaltzy after the intensity of the story).
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Yeah, I didn't like the ending either. I was waiting to see what you thought In fact, I'm sure I slammed it shut and hurumphed at my hubby.

They closed 1 of the last independent bookstores in the area last night. It's been losing money for a long time.
    They had a big party last night. Since the bookstore was devoted to Mysteries, there were several prominent authors there. Michael Connelly, Robert Crais, Christopher Rice ( Anne's son), etc.
    One woman had traveled more than 125 miles, just so she could get her picture taken with the authors.
    Yes, times are changing, as are buying habits. It's just so sad to see how many businesses are folding as a result...
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Which store closed, noreality? I always hate to hear that kind of news.

I belong to an association of independent booksellers and it is a pretty dire situation. At the association's annual meeting, there are always lots of authors there and they ALL express their gratitude for independent booksellers - they're the ones who SELL the books and know about them, not the big chains or online sellers. Even in Northern California, indies are suffering. It's heartbreaking, 'cause we've got some really wonderful, iconic stores.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Prism;4146384;
    "The Help" is so revealing. I always wondered what Traditional Southern Woman meant, and after asking a born-and-bred-in-the-south friend, and being told that's code for racist, I didn't quite know it meant way more. Now I know, and it's so good we're putting the past behind us - or that we appear to be in some areas.

Being an African American woman- especially - or being a white woman from the 1930s through 1960s was darned hard. This is really a great book!
    I've never been on this sight before, but since I have marched through life with an open book in one hand, this won't by the last visit. It's great to see the different books people are reading. Aren't we all looking for another good book?

Would like to comment on the "Traditional Southern Woman" thing. I have always lived in the South--Arkansas, Tennesse, Mississippi, and Texas. I don't know why the southern woman you mentioned told you traditional meant racist. It doesn't mean that to me. I think of a traditional southern woman as one who is polite, devoted to her family, probably goes to church, and is most likely a Democrat. (I am independent.) She probably is well-read, most likely attended college, and is an avid college football fan. And she knows how to cook fried food, corn bread, and fresh vegetables right out of the garden.

Most of us baby-boomers are not racists at all. I am a veteran teacher and have taught students of many varied ethnicities. As Dr. King said, you should judge people based on the content of their character. Most of us listened and understood what he meant.

If you enjoy books about a circle of women friends and you would like to find out what traditional southern women are really like, try The Red Hat Club by Haywood Smith. There are 2 sequels to it. Also, Ann Ross has a series of books about Miss Julia that are pretty good. And nobody writes about the South better than Jan Karon in her Mitford series. And if nothing else, watch Designing Women.

I'm finally going to finish The Russian Winter! I don't know why it's taken me so long, because I love it. Maybe I just want it to last! I've also had lots of other things going on and not a lot of time to devote to reading. It definitely makes me want to work on my Russian, which has gotten so bad. You really DO lose it if you don't use it!

Not sure what's up next. Lots of great things to choose from! I might pick some short books so I feel like I'm making a dent in the big piles of books around here!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I reserved both Michael Connelly's and Dennis Lehane's latest.

My luck - both came in my queue together.

Has anybody read either?
    Can they recommend which to read first?
    Both authors are my faves and I can't decide.

TIA

I read Moonlight Mile and enjoyed it. It was a little bittersweet though.

I just finished The Help and I'm glad to say it lived up to the hype. I so enjoyed it. And if anyone deserved 2 helpings of Minny's "terrible, awful" pie, it was definitely Miss Hilly.

I read Cleopatra's Daughter by Michelle Moran a few weeks ago. It tells the story of Selene daughter of Mark Antony and Cleopatra while she is living in Rome after the death of her parents. I liked it a lot. I hope she writes a sequel about her life after she is married.

Brunette Trixie, thanks for the recommendation on Lehane's latest.
    I pretty much enjoy all his books.

+ Reply to Thread