+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Just finished Room. Intense. But I was very relieved
    Click to see Spoiler:
    it was a reasonably happy ending - I thought for sure "Ma" was going to die from her suicide or that something would happen to Jack
    . I find myself worrying about what will become of Jack, even though he's just a character in a book.

I was lucky to get Room at the library - for the past while, my library has had a "best-seller shelf" where you can get actual current releases without languishing on a wait list, because they are week-long rentals only with a $2.50/day late fee charge - so I put The Corrections on hold and now I'm going to try out Lionel Shriver's A Perfectly Good Family.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I agree, Jane, I wonder what happened after the book. I'd love for her to do a sequel. Perhaps with Jack as a teen.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;4152274;
    Trying to think of what to read next. Has anyone read Juliet by Anne Fortier?
    I read Juliet on my nook, and yes, I enjoyed it very much -- it was a fun read. Not "great literature", but very entertaining and different from anything I'd read before.

I just read the reviews on Amazon for Juliet and they're all over the board. Just as many loved it as hated it and were lukewarm about it. That sort of makes me want to read it more!
    Count your blessings!

I finished reading The wolves of Andover by Kathleen Kent. It was really good. It is set in Puritan New England, and tells the beginning story of Martha Carrier, who was later accused of witchcraft.
    Kent's first book, The Heretic's Daughter is about the same characters, but told by Martha's daughter.
    Last edited by inthegarden; 01-22-2011 at 12:38 PM.

Just finished "Three Cups of Tea" and am reading the follow-up, "Stones into Schools." Not terribly well written, but really interesting to read the story of building schools for girls in Pakistan and Afghanistan.

I'm in the middleof This Time Together by Carol Burnett. Its light and quite funny at times. Anyone who loves Carol will get something out of this book.
    Carol Burnett's 'This Time Together' has rich, diverse cast - USATODAY.com

Smash Cut and Tough Customer by Sandra Brown.
    These two books can be considered part 1 and part 2 but can be read as stand alone stories. Typical Sandra Brown romances with a murder mystery/stalker feature. Ms. Brown tends to be a real stickler for over proper language and tends to be a tad morality upright. I like that she actually has a character who uses bad language in both books. For this author it is really a departure.

Frostfire by Lynn Viehl
    The next in her Kyndred series. Sometimes authors who have multiple book story arcs tend to be like Star trek or James Bond movies, every other one sucks but on the other hand every other one is great. I didn't like that this book had larger font because it indicates that this is a shorter story and that the publisher wanted the same amount of money so made it appear longer by making the font size larger. That being said the author introduces a new species in this book that have been affected by her "vampires". She also introduces some characters we have met before in previous books so this story feels apart of the over all Darkyn and Kyndred world. I still don't get how the hero "Walker Kimball" was transformed from being a Darkyn?? I was under the impression his "dead" body was found and being shipped back to the States and kept in a freezer truck...when had any experimenting happened??? Still an excellent series.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Someone just recommended a series to me at the gym and I downloaded the first one onto my Kindle, but I'm in the middle of Steve Martin's Shop Girl. The other one is called Princess, and is about a real woman in one of the Middle East oil countries where women are despised and men can do anything they want. Has anyone read it?
    Count your blessings!

CCL

I read a book called Princess (by Jean Sasson) a long time ago. It might be the same one as I looked on Amazon and it was published in 2001. I don't recall all the details, but I remember it being an interesting read.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

+ Reply to Thread