+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree214Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Ok...help me out. I've read enough fluff for a bit. I need something meaty. I downloaded The Shack and The Glass Castle. Which should I read first?
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

I haven't read The Shack, but I really liked The Glass Castle
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Finished Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter and would recommend it. Not a lot of big twists that you didn't see coming but a gentle look at a southern town in the recent past. I'm going to go back to one of the other Steve Martin books I downloaded. I like the idea of listening to the Hobbit/Rings trilogy in the car.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4150141;
    I haven't read The Shack, but I really liked The Glass Castle
    The Glass Castle is the one I'm leaning towards. Thanks for your input.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.

I am currently reading The Historian and not enjoying it at all. I'm finding it to be tedious and I keep reading a dreary combination of Henry James and Lovecraft, neither of whom I care for. Per usual, I went to read the negative reviews on Amazon before I bought it because the quality of the negative reviews tends to give me a bit clearer picture than the positive ones. The negatives for this book tended along the lines of "it's boring" and "it sucks", so I thought, excellent, not approved of by the simple-minded or venal - I shall buy it. As it turns out, I am more simple-minded and venal than I thought, because it's boring and, yes, it sucks, though not in the vampiric way it should be sucking. It's a shame, too, since Vlad Tepes is such a fascinating subject.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I did not enjoy the Historian either. Really long and the ending just made me tired.
    Glass Castle gets my vote over Shack.
    Intended to start another Steve Martin, but somehow ended up starting The Girl of the Limberlost, instead. Free on Kindle. I read it as a young teen. Loving the old fashioned feel and morals.
    Count your blessings!

CCL

Ditto on the anti-Historian posts. Mind you, I thought the original Dracula sucked (and not in the good way) too so maybe I have an anti-Dracula thing going on.
    Trying to think of what to read next. Has anyone read Juliet by Anne Fortier?
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Looks like I'll be starting Glass Castle first. Thanks for the input!

Woodsprite Air Blobs Easy Champion inthegarden's Avatar

I'm enjoying The Wolves of Andover by Kathleen Kent.
    Next, Russian Winter.

Can't wait to hear how you like Russian Winter. The Girl of the Limberlost got tedious after a while. Very moralistic, which I guess was the whole point.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread