+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;4143999;
    I have read them both. I agree with you about the prose. I read "Corrections" first and it took me a bit to get into it, but by the end I really enjoyed it. I read "Freedom" right afterward and really liked it. I just finished reading "The Help" (great book) and am now reading "Motorcycles and Sweetgrass".
    TY...I will give Freedom a shot, then.

Rattus reminded me with her posts to pick up some more Lionel Shriver titles...after the Franzen I'm going to start on The Post-Birthday World.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

"The Help" is so revealing. I always wondered what Traditional Southern Woman meant, and after asking a born-and-bred-in-the-south friend, and being told that's code for racist, I didn't quite know it meant way more. Now I know, and it's so good we're putting the past behind us - or that we appear to be in some areas.

Being an African American woman- especially - or being a white woman from the 1930s through 1960s was darned hard. This is really a great book!
    "Not my circus. Not my monkeys"
    ~~ Old Polish Proverb ~~

Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out. Carl Sagan.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4141095;
    Now I'm reading Tom Franklin's Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter, which is a total change of pace and not at all fluffy. I'm only about 60 pages in, but it's really good. I have a feeling this will be another one that I think about for a long time.
    I loved Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter and have recommended it to several people. You are right that it will stick with you for awhile after you have finished...

I finally finished Pride and Prejudice and Zombies after having to put it down for a while (not the book's fault). Incredibly fun to read, and I heard that a movie based on the book is in the works. Hopefully they can do it justice.

Since I picked up Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter at the same time, I've started on that next. I'm 30 pages in, and it looks promising so far. But I need to stop looking in this thread and adding to my want-to-read list! So many good suggestions here...
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

FORT Regular

I just finished my last "Book" I will ever read now that I have an eReader. It was called "The Card House" by Antonio Francesca. It was a really good book and a quick read!

Now on my eReader Im currently reading "The Lost Symbol" by Dan Brown. I cant put this one down. Dan Brown has to be the best current writer. His books make you feel like you are there listening in on whats going on. Its as if you can visualize everything he is writing!

edit: I guess I will have to read a "book" again if it doesnt come in epub (kindle or nook) or pdf! But I bet most if not all will be in some sort of eReader form?!
    Last edited by Snacks; 01-14-2011 at 08:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd;4148104;
    I finally finished Pride and Prejudice and Zombies after having to put it down for a while (not the book's fault). Incredibly fun to read, and I heard that a movie based on the book is in the works. Hopefully they can do it justice.

Since I picked up Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter at the same time, I've started on that next. I'm 30 pages in, and it looks promising so far. But I need to stop looking in this thread and adding to my want-to-read list! So many good suggestions here...
    Confession: I didn't get through P&P&Z. But someone gave me the Abraham Lincoln one and I really enjoyed it. He put a lot more effort into it and I thought he did a great job of finding a way to make Lincoln's secret life weave into the real events of his life.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

I finished An Object of Beauty by Steve Martin. I loved his writing style, but the ending was a disappointment to me. It just kind of fizzled out. Now I'm starting Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter. I love the recommendations here. Thanks!
    Count your blessings!

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WrigleyDogA2;4140924;
    I hadn't heard the 2012 time line for the next book, so thank you for that information. Although I think that the series has been extended to 6 books, so it's still not going to be over.
    I'd heard people were receiving emails from Amazon with the new release date of Dec. 25, 2012 but Amazon hasn't updated the release date on the actual book's page, so now I'm not sure.

-------------

I have been reading the House of Night series and am liking them. They're light and fun and quick reads. I made the decision to take the entire series out from the library last weekend and am thanking my lucky stars I did b/c I've been reading them steadily while we've been stuck at home due to the ice storm and lack of plows.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

I finally was able to start The Russian Winter and am really enjoying it. My "to do" list is pretty long, so I don't have too much time to read, but I hope I can carve out some more time over the next week.

I'm also listening to Tolkein while I drive. I started on The Hobbit when I drove down to SoCal for the holidays and, because I finished it before I got back home, I started on The Fellowship of the Ring. I find it makes the drive go faster than music. I'm to the point in the book where they have reached Bree, but I still can't get Tom Bombadil's songs out of my head! The man who reads all four books - Rob Inglis - does a great job. This is the third time I've listened to the series (all 56 or so disks!) and I love them. Still, I wish I could get that singing out of my head!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Prism;4146384;
    "The Help" is so revealing. I always wondered what Traditional Southern Woman meant, and after asking a born-and-bred-in-the-south friend, and being told that's code for racist, I didn't quite know it meant way more. Now I know, and it's so good we're putting the past behind us - or that we appear to be in some areas.

Being an African American woman- especially - or being a white woman from the 1930s through 1960s was darned hard. This is really a great book!
    Just down loaded this tonight, and have read about 70 pages so far, and I'm really enjoying it. Thanks to all that recommended this book.!
    RIP....Kevin 11-29-09

+ Reply to Thread