+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree214Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I have read them both. I agree with you about the prose. I read "Corrections" first and it took me a bit to get into it, but by the end I really enjoyed it. I read "Freedom" right afterward and really liked it. I just finished reading "The Help" (great book) and am now reading "Motorcycles and Sweetgrass".

I just finished reading Lionel Shriver's Checker and the Derailleurs and it's the first book I've read by her that I wasn't completely engrossed by. It wasn't bad, but it smacked of the work of a clever but pretentious teenager - a rather thin story utilizing a trite New Testament theme couched in overly descriptive phraseology designed to show off her skills with a metaphor (I'm not a huge fan of the excessive use of metaphor). I'm also discovering that, much as I enjoy her work, I cannot read either opinion pieces or interviews with Ms. Shriver as I find her completely unbearable as a human being and I don't want to lose my taste for her books.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

CCL

Matched by Allie Condie. I appear to be on some sort of YA kick of late, having just reread the Hunger Games trilogy. Perhaps I'm trying to recapture my youth or something. Anyways, Matched is set in the future, where The Society dictates your entire life, from the meals you eat every day (delivered to your house), to what you learn in school (they've gotten rid of all literature except for a hundred poems that they deemed worthy to save, same with paintings etc)., to your job, to who you marry (ie who you are matched with). The heroine is matched with someone seemingly ideal, but then she falls for someone else and begins to question everything Society has taught her. I'm about 2/3 of the way through. It is okay - my sister said the premise was better than the actual book and I'd have to agree with that thus far.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I've just finshed reading Lost Sould by Dean Koontz. Very good, cant wait for the next book in this series.

I'm reading a series by Tracy Madison on my Kindle right now. There are four books and they are about women who inherit magic. One can cast spells while baking, one can see the past and the future through her artwork and I'm not to the part yet where it tells how the third one manifests hers. But the grandmother who passed it on to them gets hers through writing. They are fluffy love stories but the characters are adorable and it's light reading. I'm on book 3 right now.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Just finished reading Blood Challenge, the seventh book in the World of the Lupi series by Eileen Wilks. I would classify this series as urban fantasy, very well thought out and adult. You can read this book as a stand alone although it is the seventh in the series.

In Eileen Wilks world there have always been shape shifters or werewolves and you can know that their is along history of trying to kill them all vs giving them full rights as citizens. But all this time the lupi have been unknown guardians of the human race. Protecting them from the monsters that do exist in the night. This world is an interesting blend of magic and technology co-existing with each other.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I got my desk copy of Russian Winter in the mail today! I can't wait to start it. I'm still reading and really enjoying Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter....although enjoying is a weird word to use. It's just beautifully written. It's tragic in many ways, but very compelling.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Enjoy Russian Winter... it's been staying with me. I'm currently enjoying Steve Martin's An Object of Beauty recommended by someone up-thread.
    Count your blessings!

While I am waiting for my Kindle to arrive, I am re-reading The Collected Autobiographies of Maya Angelou. I read them individually many years ago, and more recently picked up a volume which includes all of them because I lost track of the individual books over the years. She is an amazing woman and her life story is a joy and an inspiration to read!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;4144869;
    Enjoy Russian Winter... it's been staying with me. I'm currently enjoying Steve Martin's An Object of Beauty recommended by someone up-thread.
    Thanks! When I saw it at the trade show in October, I really wanted to ask for a copy, but got shy about it. I shouldn't have been so silly about it because the publishing rep had this copy sent to me in about a week. My focus in college with Russian/Eastern European history and I took ballet until I was about 17, so it's right up my alley.

I hope you enjoy An Object of Beauty! I really liked it. That Steve Martin, he's a renaissance man! He also wrote a children's book this year called Late For School that comes with a CD of him singing the song that is the book. My advance copy didn't come with the CD, but the book is utterly charming.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread