+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree258Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I got When you are engulfed in flames by David Sedaris for Christmas, and I'm really grateful, as it's not the type of book I normally look for, and I ended up really liking it . I'll try looking for other David Sedaris books at the library.

I also read A colourful death: A cornish mystery by Carola Dunn. Nice and cozy and fluffy and just right for this snowy winter.

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

I just started House Rules by Jodi Picoult. I've never read anything by her before; but my mom really enjoys her books.

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin;4134688;
    Just finished the fourth book in the Game of Thrones series and now am stuck twiddling my thumbs until the next one is released. Since it was 5 years since he published this last book and the next doesn't look to be released until 2012, I think I'm going to wait to read it until if/when he finishes the series. Because the series was fantastic and it's one of the best set of fantasy books I've read but I hate that it just ends...so I don't want to get myself sucked in, only to have to wait another 5 years for the completion of the series.
    I started that series when the fourth book was just released and the 5th (and at that time final) book was planned for the next year - thinking that I was being smart because I wouldn't have to wait for the end of the series. Ha ha...joke's on me.

I hadn't heard the 2012 time line for the next book, so thank you for that information. Although I think that the series has been extended to 6 books, so it's still not going to be over.

Quote Originally Posted by swingkat;4140641;
    I got When you are engulfed in flames by David Sedaris for Christmas, and I'm really grateful, as it's not the type of book I normally look for, and I ended up really liking it . I'll try looking for other David Sedaris books at the library.
    There are some of his essays in Naked and Me Talk Pretty One Day that still make me laugh until I cry and I've read them MANY times. LOVE Sedaris!

I may be over my book hangover. I needed something totally light to get over it. I read Kate Carlisle's If Books Could Kill and The Lies That Bind. This series is sort of in the vein of Janet Evanovich, with a kooky heroine and lots of hot men. Plus, they're set mainly in San Francisco and I love reading books set in cities I know well.

Now I'm reading Tom Franklin's Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter, which is a total change of pace and not at all fluffy. Here's the little write up on Amazon:
    Edgar Award-winning author Tom Franklin returns with his most accomplished and resonant novel so far—an atmospheric drama set in rural Mississippi. In the late 1970s, Larry Ott and Silas "32" Jones were boyhood pals. Their worlds were as different as night and day: Larry, the child of lower-middle-class white parents, and Silas, the son of a poor, single black mother. Yet for a few months the boys stepped outside of their circumstances and shared a special bond. But then tragedy struck: Larry took a girl on a date to a drive-in movie, and she was never heard from again. She was never found and Larry never confessed, but all eyes rested on him as the culprit. The incident shook the county—and perhaps Silas most of all. His friendship with Larry was broken, and then Silas left town.

More than twenty years have passed. Larry, a mechanic, lives a solitary existence, never able to rise above the whispers of suspicion. Silas has returned as a constable. He and Larry have no reason to cross paths until another girl disappears and Larry is blamed again. And now the two men who once called each other friend are forced to confront the past they've buried and ignored for decades.
    I'm only about 60 pages in, but it's really good. I have a feeling this will be another one that I think about for a long time.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I'm reading Absolute Certainty by Rose Connors for my book club and it's very timely considering the release of Cornelius Dupree Jr. in Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by WrigleyDogA2;4140922;
    I just started House Rules by Jodi Picoult. I've never read anything by her before; but my mom really enjoys her books.
    I love her books. The one that gripped me was Nineteen Minutes. It's about a school shooting and it's riveting. My Sisters Keeper is probably her most well known book and it was heartbreaking. The Pact is another really good read.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didn’t hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo;4142032;
    I love her books. The one that gripped me was Nineteen Minutes. It's about a school shooting and it's riveting. My Sisters Keeper is probably her most well known book and it was heartbreaking. The Pact is another really good read.
    Thanks for the recommendations. I am really enjoying House Rules so far, although it's about a boy with Asperger's and it's kind of frustrating because both my mom and I work with special ed kids. I'm having a little problem with patience to read a story that revolves around a special ed. boy and working with them during the day. So it's probably not the best retreat-for-real-life book for me. But it's very well written and very true to Asperger's (although each case is really unique.)

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo;4142032;
    My Sister's Keeper was the first book of hers that I ever read....19 Minutes the second. Both were excellent. I
    l'll have to check out The Pact. I'm a little behind, but I just finished The Help. I loved this book - I didn't want it to end. I'm really looking forward to the movie this year...though I'm not sure why as invariably I'm disappointed when a book makes it to the big screen. But I'll take my chances if it means I get to spend a bit more time with Aibelene, Skeeter and Minny
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

I am reading the Passage by Justin Cronin & so far loving it, but I just finished part 1.
    Phil: Claire likes to say "You can be part of the problem, or part of the solution." But I happen to believe you can be both. Modern Family

I was scared off from reading Jonathan Franzen's Freedom from some negative reviews here, but I found a copy of his book The Corrections on the bargain shelf and picked it up over the holidays. As it happens, I'm enjoying it very much (although the prose is definitely on the pretentious side). Has anyone read this as well as Freedom? If I like this book am I likely to enjoy Freedom?
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread