+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree254Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clarke (Young adult fantasy)

Liked it very much. This is the first of a trilogy that is a prequel to the authors "The Immortal Instruments" trilogy. It is set in Victorian, England and the author manages to convey the feeling of the era very well.

Beast Behaving Badly by Shelly Larenston (Adult Urban Fantasy)

This is one funny book. The author has one incredible sense of humour which when it flows it works wonderfully. This is book can be read as a stand alone of part of a loosely based series about shape shifters. There is sexual content in this book that goes beyond the normal romance boundaries. The author started her career in e books so be warned. Still who could not love a story about an OCD hockey player who can turn into polar bear/lion hybrid and his potential love interest who is part wolf and wild dog. Its hockey vs roller derby.

(Adult SciFi/Fantasy)
    I started reading Robin Owens when she published Hear Mate and read the next 4 books in the series but she is slow writer and for some reason switched to beeing published in a large book format and I refuse to pay $15.00 for a paperback book. Anyway I got a good deal on Amazon.com and read Heart Fate, Heart Change and Heart Journey. I enjoyed the books so much that I pulled out the first 5 in the series and reread them. Sometimes the author does not put enough conflict in the books but over all I really like her world of Celta, flair and sentient houses and spaceships and lets not forget Fams.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I just finished Russian Winter by Daphne Kalotay about a Bolshoi prima ballerina under Stalin. Talk about counting your blessings! I don't know if it helped or hindered that I saw Black Swan as I was starting the book.

Now I'm starting An Object of Beauty by Steve Miller.

Both books were recommended here. Thank you FORTers for a year of good books!
    Count your blessings!

Likes Scottish Vikings! talldede's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;4136382;
    I just finished Russian Winter by Daphne Kalotay about a Bolshoi prima ballerina under Stalin. Talk about counting your blessings! I don't know if it helped or hindered that I saw Black Swan as I was starting the book.

Now I'm starting An Object of Beauty by Steve Miller.

Both books were recommended here. Thank you FORTers for a year of good books!
    Gutmutter - I was just coming here to mention Russian Winter. I'm only on Chapter 5 but I'm so impressed with Kalotay's writing. I feel the desperation and the fear of the people in Stalinist Russia in the 40's. I also have hope that the situation will get better, she is 80 and in America now. What a book and the intrigue, it's quite mysterious thus far. I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;4134899;
    Best book of 2010 in my opinion. I would say, "Enjoy", JavaJo, but that's not quite the right term for this book. It will stay with you.
    I have a habit of skipping to the last page and reading it when I'm about halfway through the book I'm reading. I can't do that with Kindle and if there is a way...don't tell me! I'm about 65% through this book and I'm still riveted. I would really like a chapter from the mother's point of view, though. That might clear up a couple of questions I have.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

talldede - I thought I had the ending all figured out, but I was wrong. This is really one of those books that makes you look at your own life with new appreciation.
    Count your blessings!

I really think Room gave me a "book hangover"! Since I read it, I've hardly been able to concentrate on another book.

I did read The Monuments Men for my book club. It's about the men who, during WWII were charged with protecting and saving great works of art in Europe. Many of them were considerably older than the average soldier - most were in their early 40's - and many were academics and one was even a well known sculptor. I started The Venus Fixers, which is about the group trying to save art works in Italy during WWII, but it's not nearly as well written.

Now I'm reading the fun and fluffyIf Books Could Kill by Kate Carlisle. It's the second in a mystery series with an book restorer as the heroine.

I saw Russian Winter at the trade show in October, but the rep didn't have any extra copies. I think I'll email him and see if he can send me a copy....
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I finished Room late last night. Wow. I don't even know what to really say. I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. Maybe I'll be back in a few days with my thoughts on it. I'm still just kind of shell shocked. But I did really like the book. It really made me wonder just how many abducted children and adults are actually living like that right now. It also made me think about Elizabeth Smart and Jaycee Dugard.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.

If you do a google search on the topic it will make you cry. I also had a "book hangover" (love that!) after reading it. I couldn't start another book right away. My mom started reading it at my suggestion and is about 3/4 through and is just going to go on to another book because she doesn't think it's very interesting. I guess that says a lot about my upbringing. le sigh
    Count your blessings!

I had to start another book right away. I chose a romantic comedy with shapeshifters, vampires and witches. I needed something to lift the fog. My mood the past couple of days definitely reflected the mood of that book.

Caught, Harlan Coben's latest.
    Hard to put it down, as it's a real page turner.
    Surprised, though, that it's gotten some pretty mixed reviews on Amazon.
    Has anyoe read this? Am I in for a letdown??
    To Thine Own Self Be True

+ Reply to Thread