+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree265Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;4124075;
    Just finished reading So Much for That by Lionel Shriver, about a man who is prepared to leave his family for Africa when he finds out his wife has cancer and needs him to keep his job for the medical insurance. Probably not a good choice considering I'm about to head in for cancer surgery, but a riveting book nonetheless. It also made me exceedly glad that I live in a country with universal healthcare. I have yet to read anything of Shriver's that I didn't like. Am just about finished the second novella in Stephen King's Full Dark No Stars and I have to say that I am ecstatic. It is pretty much a can't-put-down book (except for those cursed hours I spend trapped in my cubicle) which is a real relief after a number of, what were to me, disappointing efforts by Mr. King.
    Rattus, so very, very sorry to hear about your illness and upcoming surgery. I'm one of those people who tend to approach difficult things via literature, though, so for me, reading So Much For That under your circumstances make absolute sense. I actually had the privilege of eating dinner with Lionel Shriver (glasses of wine were consumed too, as I vaguely recall...) when she was visiting Sweden doing PR for The Post-Birthday World a couple of years ago. I've been a fan of her work ever since I read and was positively gutted by We Need to Talk About Kevin; I am now a fan of the lady herself. So funny, so wry, so articulate, so utterly cool! I'm totally Lionel Shriver's fan girl and secretly hope that she'll look me up the next time she's in town... but I digress. Oddly enough, I haven't read So Much For That yet. Bought it, yes, but for some unknown reason it's been gathering dust on the shelf ever since I picked it up in, ooh, must have been early this year. Will most definitely read it soon.

Speaking of books I've bought but have yet to read (do I detect a pattern?), I plan to read Full Dark No Stars over Christmas. Good to hear about the can't-put-down factor! I quite liked Under the Dome and one of the short stories in the otherwise so-so collection Just After Sunset, "N", but even so, it's been a while since I was truly awed by Mr King. This just might be it.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

I just finished A Perfectly Good Family by Lionel Shriver. It was a good, interesting read, but not as intense as We Need to Talk About Kevin. Which was probably a good thing.

My favorite part of the book takes place when they are clearing out their Mom's refrigerator and freezer after she passes away. Their mom was a bit of a food hoarder, and the descriptions of ancient food stuffs are pretty hilarious.

"Folly Beach" by Karen White, am enjoying it very much....... moves between WW2 and the present. Intriguing, thought provoking, I am anxious to know how it ends, but am enjoying the story unfold. (I will frequently look to the end of a book before buying it even - I know scandalous! But, it has never diminished my enjoyment.) White's books are usually the exception, I enjoy her style of writing so much that I am content to just let it unfold. I had never heard of a "bottle tree", so I looked them up on Google - interesting.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

FORT Fogey

During the Christmas break I read Snow Flower and the Secret Fan . I loved it! Superb storytelling, I couldn't put it down. Highly recommend it!

Barnes and Noble offered "Carved in Bone" by Jefferson Bass last week, so I read it over the weekend. And then bought the next three books in the series :-) If you like Patricia Cornwall, you'll like this series...it's about the scientist who runs the Body Farm.

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Just finished the fourth book in the Game of Thrones series and now am stuck twiddling my thumbs until the next one is released. Since it was 5 years since he published this last book and the next doesn't look to be released until 2012, I think I'm going to wait to read it until if/when he finishes the series. Because the series was fantastic and it's one of the best set of fantasy books I've read but I hate that it just ends...so I don't want to get myself sucked in, only to have to wait another 5 years for the completion of the series.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

I started Room tonight. Not very far....still on day one....Jack's 5th birthday, I stopped at the part where she
    Click to see Spoiler:
    measures his growth
    . But wow. I'm already buried in the story. I had to take a break because I've been reading for about 5 hours straight. I finished the book I was reading so I could hurry up and start this one. I can't leave one book to start another or read more than one at a time. Anyhoo...WOW. It's a shame I have to work tomorrow or I could see myself staying up ALL night to read this book. Heck, it's already after 3!
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didn’t hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Best book of 2010 in my opinion. I would say, "Enjoy", JavaJo, but that's not quite the right term for this book. It will stay with you.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;4134899;
    Best book of 2010 in my opinion. I would say, "Enjoy", JavaJo, but that's not quite the right term for this book. It will stay with you.
    Definitely the one that stays with you the longest
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;4124075;
    Am just about finished the second novella in Stephen King's Full Dark No Stars and I have to say that I am ecstatic. It is pretty much a can't-put-down book (except for those cursed hours I spend trapped in my cubicle) which is a real relief after a number of, what were to me, disappointing efforts by Mr. King.
    I second this review...I'm at the exact same point in this book and it's far and away the best thing he's done for years. It may also be the book I've liked the most since Different Seasons.

I also finished Dexter Is Delicious, the most recent in the series. Hysterically funny and a super gross-out as usual.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread