+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree269Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Sorry, geek. No doubt a big part of it was just not what I expected from Lehane.

I'm about to start Stephen King's Just After Sunset. I noticed with great interest that he has a new collection of 4 novellas, called Full Dark, No Stars (GREAT title). I think I'll have to add that one to my Christmas list.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I just finished reading Towers of Midnight by Robert Jordan with help from Brandon Sanderson. Robert Jordan died a couple of years ago. Its the second to last book in the series and I wish Robert Jordan was still alive to see it completed.

I am in the middle of The Christmas Cookie Club by Ann Pearlman. LORI'S READING CORNER: The Christmas Cookie Club by Ann Pearlman (ARC)
    Its slow going but an ok story.

Ad Astra Per Aspera homeontherange's Avatar

I just finished Dancing at the Rascal Fair by Ivan Doig which I thoroughly enjoyed. Its a story about immigrants settling in Montana during the late 1800s and early 1900s with the focus on 2 friends who come from Scotland.

I just started The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls. My brother raved about it when his book club read it, but somehow I got the idea it was about someone in an insane asylum for some reason and was putting off reading it, but I'm loving it.
    Count your blessings!

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

I'm about to start the original Starship Troopers. I got it last year as a Christmas gift and am just getting to it now.

I'm halfway through Neigborhood Watch by Cammie McGovern, which kept showing up among my Amazon recommendations. So far, I'm liking it: it is a murder mystery/tale of redemption set in a closely knit suburban community. Think Desperate Housewives meets Jodi Picoult with a slightly more literary feel. Good characterization and language, likeable protagonist, although I for one find the concept (librarian confesses to murdering her neighbor based on a) bloody nightgown found in her hamper and b) a tendency towards sleepwalking, then goes to prison for twelve years until DNA proves she didn’t do it) a tad incredible. Hopefully, I’ll gain some more insight into the protagonist’s reasoning a bit further in. McGovern's previous novel, Eye Contact, comes highly praised by the likes of Curtis Sittenfeld and Lionel Shriver (aka two of my literary gurus) and deals with autism. I read Jodi Picoult’s latest novel House Rules over the summer and it left me wanting to explore the theme further, so I’m very keen to read this one. Has anyone here read anything by Cammie McGovern? I like Neigborhood Watch just fine, but I have even higher hopes Eye Contact and her debut novel The Art of Seeing. You know that feeling when you’ve stumbled upon a new writer and like what you read but have the distinct feeling that this isn’t their best work? That’s me and Cammie McGovern right now.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

elk

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl;4123114;
    I'm halfway through Neigborhood Watch by Cammie McGovern, which kept showing up among my Amazon recommendations. So far, I'm liking it: it is a murder mystery/tale of redemption set in a closely knit suburban community. Think Desperate Housewives meets Jodi Picoult with a slightly more literary feel. Good characterization and language, likeable protagonist, although I for one find the concept (librarian confesses to murdering her neighbor based on a) bloody nightgown found in her hamper and b) a tendency towards sleepwalking, then goes to prison for twelve years until DNA proves she didnít do it) a tad incredible. Hopefully, Iíll gain some more insight into the protagonistís reasoning a bit further in. McGovern's previous novel, Eye Contact, comes highly praised by the likes of Curtis Sittenfeld and Lionel Shriver (aka two of my literary gurus) and deals with autism. I read Jodi Picoultís latest novel House Rules over the summer and it left me wanting to explore the theme further, so Iím very keen to read this one. Has anyone here read anything by Cammie McGovern? I like Neigborhood Watch just fine, but I have even higher hopes Eye Contact and her debut novel The Art of Seeing. You know that feeling when youíve stumbled upon a new writer and like what you read but have the distinct feeling that this isnít their best work? Thatís me and Cammie McGovern right now.
    I read Eye Contact - I tend to read just about anything dealing with autism or Asperger Syndrome to see how realistic they are. I don't remember details of this novel, but I do remember liking it. I also read House Rules and was touched by the portrayal of this family.

If you are looking for some good fiction along this line, The Speed of Dark by Elizabeth Moon had a very different take on autism. I highly recommend that one! Probably my favorite in this vein is The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime.

Geek, if you (or anyone else here) would like to read more, let me know and I'd be happy to share my reading list.
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

Quote Originally Posted by elk;4123462;
    I read Eye Contact - I tend to read just about anything dealing with autism or Asperger Syndrome to see how realistic they are. I don't remember details of this novel, but I do remember liking it. I also read House Rules and was touched by the portrayal of this family.

If you are looking for some good fiction along this line, The Speed of Dark by Elizabeth Moon had a very different take on autism. I highly recommend that one! Probably my favorite in this vein is The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime.

Geek, if you (or anyone else here) would like to read more, let me know and I'd be happy to share my reading list.
    Thanks for the suggestions, elk. I don't have personal experience with autism or Asperger syndrome but have been very moved by the novels I've read dealing with the subject. LOVED The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime - so funny and touching, and well-written too. I'll most definitely look up The Speed of Dark and have already ordered Eye Contact online. I just might take you up on your offer.

Yes, House Rules was a wonderful read, wasn't it? Jodi Picoult has been so-so in her last couple books IMHO, but she really returned to form here. There's a new novel coming out in, I think, January or February called Sing You Home which reportedly deals with the osterization of gay teenagers in American schools. This subject is very close to home for me as gay rights have always been close to my heart (we've come SO much further here in Sweden but still have a long way to go!) so I'll pick it up straight off the shelf. Can't wait.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Just finished reading So Much for That by Lionel Shriver, about a man who is prepared to leave his family for Africa when he finds out his wife has cancer and needs him to keep his job for the medical insurance. Probably not a good choice considering I'm about to head in for cancer surgery, but a riveting book nonetheless. It also made me exceedly glad that I live in a country with universal healthcare. I have yet to read anything of Shriver's that I didn't like. Am just about finished the second novella in Stephen King's Full Dark No Stars and I have to say that I am ecstatic. It is pretty much a can't-put-down book (except for those cursed hours I spend trapped in my cubicle) which is a real relief after a number of, what were to me, disappointing efforts by Mr. King.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

+ Reply to Thread