+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree262Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

FORT Regular

Re: What are you reading?

Just finished The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake (I think that's right!). Very interesting fiction although you get to a section that's a little like the Time Traveler's Wife and then it's hard to really grasp.

My hubby bought Room so I'm going to be tackling that soon. He didn't love it as much as the person who recommended it. . . but I'm glad to hear someone here really enjoyed it.

I also read The Zookeeper's Wife for my book group. . . I think we're going to take a break from WWII books for awhile.

To all of you who loved The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls, and I know there were many, the same author came out with Half broke horses, a story about her grandma, who was a pionneer. The book is as engrossing as Glass Castle was and it made me want to reread Glass Castle to get a different perspective on the grandma and the mother. I highly reccommend it.

Thanks for the recommendation, DR! I really enjoyed The Glass Castle. I'll put her new one on my list!

I'm still reading Boyle's The Women and, although it's really well written, I'm not making much headway. Like Gut, I think I'm going to blame Room. For some reason, after I've read a really great, absorbing book, it takes a while to get back into another writer's "world."
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by obsession57;4112424;
    My hubby bought Room so I'm going to be tackling that soon. He didn't love it as much as the person who recommended it. . . but I'm glad to hear someone here really enjoyed it.
    That makes me wonder if a woman/mother would have a different perspective on this book than a man. I'd be interested to know how other men reacted to it. I really need to join a book discussion group.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;4113306;
    That makes me wonder if a woman/mother would have a different perspective on this book than a man. I'd be interested to know how other men reacted to it. I really need to join a book discussion group.
    Most book clubs I know about tend to be predominantly female. My book club generally has a few men every month, but not many, although more than most book clubs I know. Sometimes, they make up 1/3 of the group, depending on attendance.

I definitely think a woman would have a different perspective on Room. Even though I'm not a mother, I can understand the protective instinct.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Regular

What's interesting is that another guy recommended Room to my hubby so he went right out and bought it. Hubs loves contemporary, well-written fiction but so many books are geared to women so he sometimes has a hard time finding good stuff. He just finished The Lightening Thief (a WWII book set in Leningrad) and he really liked that.

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

I just finished Moneyball by Michael Lewis (also wrote The Blind Side) for a grad school class and really enjoyed it. I highly recommend it for those who enjoyed The Blind Side. Also, a movie (starring Brad Pitt) of Moneyball is coming out next year, so for those who like the read the book before seeing the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by nanaslbkp;4106034;
    straycat80, I love Lisa Gardner and Linda Castillo also!
    I just finished reading "Full Dark, No Stars" by Stephen King. I don't care for some of his books...such an effort to read...but I have to say that this one along with "Under the Dome" are great. It is 4 short stories (not so short, 100-odd pages each) and the 2 best are Big Driver and A Good Marriage. Classic works by that man with the strangely weird mind!
    Glad to hear you liked Full Dark, No Stars. I picked it up the other day and plan to read it over the weekend. I'm a big Stephen King fan and have enjoyed most of his works, some more than others. Agreed on Under the Dome: one of his finest efforts in some time, IMO.

As for me, I'm currently reading Pretty Monsters, a collection of short stories by Kelly Link, which I'd highly recommend to fans of SF/horror/fantasy. Great, mind-boggling stuff. I particularly loved the third novel which deals with a TV series I wish were real. Anybody else read anything by her?

Oh, and Gutmutter et al: Room is one of the most memorable books I've read in some time. It keeps coming back to haunt me, that one. I was so impressed with the way Donoghue managed to create this wholly unique linguistic world for Jack - and how she, somehow, managed to make the unthinkable touching, funny, and, in some strange way, uplifting. When I heard about the premises of the novel, I instinctively went "oh no, I'm gonna pass on that one!". I'm glad I persisted.
    Last edited by geek the girl; 11-26-2010 at 06:35 AM.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

I did some light research on the case it was inspired by which led to reading about similar cases. Unbelievable.
    Count your blessings!

Oh, and AJane? I actually quite enjoyed Moonlight Mile.

*runs to take cover*

But then again, like norealityhere, I've read and enjoyed all the previous Kenzie/Gennaro novels. If you're looking for something on par with The Given Day or Mystic River, yeah, I can see how you'd be disappointed. The Kenzie/Gennaro books are more light entertainment. As for the credibility issue, I have to agree with AJane here - Amanda didn't exactly strike me as credible, particularly seeing as she's, what, sixteen years old? Still, I gulped down the whole book in less than 36 hours and had fun along the ride.

Anyone else read Moonlight Mile and didn't hate it?
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

+ Reply to Thread