+ Reply to Thread
Page 55 of 718 FirstFirst ... 5454647484950515253545556575859606162636465105155555 ... LastLast
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

I just bought You Have To Kiss A Lot Of Frogs and I am 90 pages into it. So far it is very funny and insghtful.

FORT Fogey
    who wrote that book erin?

Has anyone else come across "The Eyre Affair" by Jasper Fforde? I've been wanting to recommend it and its sequels -- it's the first of a series -- but have been trying to figure out how to explain it. Because it's weird. I finally just had to copy a description off Amazon.com. Which doesn't really do the series justice; it's really quite funny and inventive, and I'd recommend it.

Book Description
    In Jasper Fforde's Great Britain, circa 1985, time travel is routine, cloning is a reality (dodos are the resurrected pet of choice), and literature is taken very, very seriously. England is a virtual police state where an aunt can get lost (literally) in a Wordsworth poem and forging Byronic verse is a punishable offense. All this is business as usual for Thursday Next, renowned Special Operative in literary detection. But when someone begins kidnapping characters from works of literature and plucks Jane Eyre from the pages of Brontė's novel, Thursday is faced with the challenge of her career.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Laurie Graff

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    Has anyone else come across "The Eyre Affair" by Jasper Fforde? I've been wanting to recommend it and its sequels -- it's the first of a series -- but have been trying to figure out how to explain it. Because it's weird. I finally just had to copy a description off Amazon.com. Which doesn't really do the series justice; it's really quite funny and inventive, and I'd recommend it.
    Wow! This looks interesting. When did it come out, and how many books are in the series so far?
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

There are three so far, Dinahann, and another due out this fall. So I guess it came out a couple of years ago, but I just found it two weeks ago.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

I loved American Gods. It explains many things seen on roadtrips, like that VW bug that's been made into a big steel spider out in Nevada.

Finished a Jonathan Kellerman novel while camping this weekend, A Cold Heart. Pretty solid thriller/mystery.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    I just started Mystic River. So far, it's very good.

Okay, I've been convinced. There have been so many references to American Gods, and Lucy has highly recommended The Eyre Affair , so I've just ordered both from my book club. I'll be reading them after the new Janet Evanovich.

Oh, and I love Jonathan Kellerman's character Alex Delaware. I've read all of his books.. loved A Cold Heart. I also enjoyed Mystic River, but I have some other Dennis Lehane books and I haven't really been able to get interested in them. Does anyone else like his other stuff?
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    I loved American Gods. It explains many things seen on roadtrips, like that VW bug that's been made into a big steel spider out in Nevada.
    OMG! I just finished reading that part! How cool to see a picture of it! Thanks, hep!
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread