+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Re: What are you reading?

I just finished reading "Freedom: A Novel" by Jonathan Franzen. It took me 2 months to read it, which should tell you something about how much I enjoyed it.

I think the story is ill-contrived. It's as if he never knew anyone to base these characters on, so they all come off like totally self-involved navel gazers. It was hard for me to like or identify with any of them. The only one who seemed authentic was the character of Richard, the self-centered rock star. And that may be because I've never personally known an actual rock star.

When I read a good, generational family saga I get immersed in the characters. In this story I felt like an uninvolved, impersonal witness/bystander. The fact that the ending was pure schmaltz didn't help much.

I would not recommend this read unless you are a psychology student/aficionado. I wish I had waited for its paperback publication.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

Quote Originally Posted by elk;4104263;

I also have Room in my 'to be read' pile, but I wanted to comment on The Crimson Petal and the White. I loved this book! It was an unusual style of naration and the story was really juicy. I was sorry when I finished it! How did you like it, Gutmutter?

Crit, I also have Wolf Hall in my pile. Looking forward to that one since I am in a(n) Historical Fic craze right now!
    I am LOVING The Crimson Petal and the White!!! I'm really immersed in it and don't want it to end. I'll tell you what - it's one of those books that really makes me count my blessings!
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;4104624;
    I am LOVING The Crimson Petal and the White!!! I'm really immersed in it and don't want it to end. I'll tell you what - it's one of those books that really makes me count my blessings!
    I would also recommend reading this book too! One of my favorites.
    I am reading books by Linda Gardner now. They are good crime/mystery can't-wait-to-turn-the-page books.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;4104484;
    I just finished reading "Freedom: A Novel" by Jonathan Franzen. It took me 2 months to read it, which should tell you something about how much I enjoyed it.

I think the story is ill-contrived. It's as if he never knew anyone to base these characters on, so they all come off like totally self-involved navel gazers. It was hard for me to like or identify with any of them. The only one who seemed authentic was the character of Richard, the self-centered rock star. And that may be because I've never personally known an actual rock star.

When I read a good, generational family saga I get immersed in the characters. In this story I felt like an uninvolved, impersonal witness/bystander. The fact that the ending was pure schmaltz didn't help much.

I would not recommend this read unless you are a psychology student/aficionado. I wish I had waited for its paperback publication.
    Thanks, Poppy, for posting that.
    I was hoping you would.

When I picked up the Corrections years ago, I felt very similar about it. But, so many had told me how terrific, blah, blah, blah, it was. To me, it came across like a very smug narrative by an author who thought he was above it all. Every page seemed dedicated to advising the reader of how incredibly gifted Franzen was as an author. I just thought it overly arrogant and unnecessary.
    Sounds like the new one is from the same ilk.
    I think I'll pass.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fogey

Speaking of historical fiction, I'm reading my first e-book via Kindle for PC because I was lured by the intriguing description of the story. Kaifeng takes place in 1690, when a Jesuit priest travels to China to find a remote community of Jews and steal its sacred scripture. Ordinarily I'd say it's a page-turner but I guess it's a page-clicker!

Well, some weekends you just have to put everything else aside and read. I wanted to finish Crimson Petal so I could move on to Room. So yesterday I read all day and finished Crimson, but got nothing else done. Then I had great plans to make up for lost time today on my list of things to do, but I thought I'd just start Room over my coffee... well, I guess I can get to that list later this week, because I couldn't put down Room. I've already recommended it to 2 other people. I don't even know how to talk about it without spoiling it for others, but oh my goodness. Thank you DessertRose for recommending it.
    Count your blessings!

Sorry for double-posting, but this morning I went to brush my hair and I had put my hairbrush out of its usual place. I caught myself thinking, "Brush is not where it should be."!!! Those of you who have read Room, will understand.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by straycat80;4104901;
    I would also recommend reading this book too! One of my favorites.
    I am reading books by Linda Gardner now. They are good crime/mystery can't-wait-to-turn-the-page books.
    OOPS! I meant LISA Gardner, not Linda. Linda Castillo is another great author I read too.

Just visiting this planet nanaslbkp's Avatar

straycat80, I love Lisa Gardner and Linda Castillo also!
    I just finished reading "Full Dark, No Stars" by Stephen King. I don't care for some of his books...such an effort to read...but I have to say that this one along with "Under the Dome" are great. It is 4 short stories (not so short, 100-odd pages each) and the 2 best are Big Driver and A Good Marriage. Classic works by that man with the strangely weird mind!
    The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hand of man.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nanaslbkp;4106034;
    straycat80, I love Lisa Gardner and Linda Castillo also!
    I just finished reading "Full Dark, No Stars" by Stephen King. I don't care for some of his books...such an effort to read...but I have to say that this one along with "Under the Dome" are great. It is 4 short stories (not so short, 100-odd pages each) and the 2 best are Big Driver and A Good Marriage. Classic works by that man with the strangely weird mind!
    I just finished Under the Dome, and I loved it! He seemed so relaxed as a story teller in it, and I think he had a lot of fun writing this story!
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

+ Reply to Thread