+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2;4099426;
    Gathering of Crows by Brian Keene. He is my favorite horror author. Anyone who can have an ex-Amishman demon fighter is and make it believable and not silly is good in my book! His books are SCARY and GORY, but also pretty smart.
    Oh good, I'm always looking for new horror writers. I'm going to check out his books.

I'm reading Laura Lippman's I'd Know You Anywhere. This book hits home for very personal reasons so it's a little unsettling for me, but there's hints of a twist coming up so I need to find out how it turns out.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4099330;
    I'm reading Room too! I was just coming in here to post about it! I just started it last night, so I'm not reading anything anyone wrote because I don't want to know what happens. It's one of the most unique books I've ever read. I thought it would be grating to read a whole book narrated by a 5 year old, but it's really absorbing.
    You and Gutmutter have to write about your thoughts when you are done. Without revealing anything, I can say that it really hit me to read it in the speech of a 5 year old , since my son is that age. The other really excelled at putting the 5 year old mind into words.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose;4099899;
    You and Gutmutter have to write about your thoughts when you are done. Without revealing anything, I can say that it really hit me to read it in the speech of a 5 year old , since my son is that age. The other really excelled at putting the 5 year old mind into words.
    I just finished it a few minutes ago. I picked it up this morning on page 50-something and read right through. I could not put it down. I have to say, it's one of those books that I know is going to stay with me. I read Donoghue's Slammerkin a few years ago and I never would have thought this was the same author. What a talent! I can't recommend it highly enough. Like I said in my previous post, I thought reading an entire book narrated by a 5 year old would be grating, but it absolutely wasn't. While the situation was horrifying, it was made less so by Jack's innocence.

When I was getting ready to go to the trade show this year, I knew I wanted to pick this one up, but when I got there, I totally forgot all about it. I actually didn't realize I'd ended up with a copy until I got home and saw it in the pile! I was so happy I picked it up. I guess I was in a trance or something
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Glad you liked it Critical The quote that stays with me still is when little Jack says after meeting with the Dr., (paraphrasing)
    Click to see Spoiler:
    He says I have nightmares because I'm getting rid of all the scary from Room, but it's Outside that is scary.
    It really puts everything in perspective for me. You can't miss something you don't have.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Just discovered Carolyn Haines' Mississippi Delta mystery series.

Only on book #2, but I'm already hooked.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

I just started Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall. This is historical fiction focusing on Henry VIII and Thomas Cromwell so, TOTALLY different from Room. The publishing rep recommended it above practically everything else in her booth at the trade show, so it has a lot to live up to. Historical fiction is probably my favorite genre, so it really has a lot to live up to. I'm only about 20 pages in, but so far, so good

DesertRose - I feel almost strange saying I loved the book, because the subject matter is so difficult, but I really did LOVE that book. ITA about the line about Room vs. Outside and being scared. I found the ending so poignant, but the whole book was affecting. It's definitely a tough act to follow for whatever book I was going to read next, that's why I picked something completely different.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I'm reading Betrayal of the Blood Lily and I have Mischief of the Mistletoe too. I love my Kobo reader, I was able to buy the books at 2am hehehe. I miss the spy thriller with a romance of the first Pink Carnation novel, I'm finding each subsequent novel more of a romance with some spy stuff thrown in. Still good stories. Lauren Willig is the author of the Pink Carnation series
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;4099397;
    Just finished reading The Harry Potter series again before the new movie comes out. Had myself a good cry this morning during the ending.
    Thanks for admitting this . . . I'm also re-reading all the books (while wearing my Harry Potter Experience t-shirt) in preparation for DH1. Not going to a midnight show, but will be at the first showing on Friday morning, 11/19!
    Warning . . . I have a black belt in Facebook, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian;4101690;
    Thanks for admitting this . . . I'm also re-reading all the books (while wearing my Harry Potter Experience t-shirt) in preparation for DH1. Not going to a midnight show, but will be at the first showing on Friday morning, 11/19!
    I have a "date" with my 10-year-old son to go see DH1, but we will probably wait a week-or-so and then hit an early showing on a weekday. But this conversation reminds me that I should quickly re-read the book before it's too late!!

elk

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;4099186;
    Thank you for posting about Room. I just downloaded it to my Kindle. I'm eager to read it after I finish the book I'm on (The Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber). I've been too busy to read much lately, but I'm looking forward to a long winter of reading. When I was sick 2 weeks ago I spent some time organizing my Kindle table of contents so that I have all 3 pages of unread books at the top and 3 more pages of free samples after that. I also have a collection of 14 Russel Hoban 3-D books a friend sent me when I mentioned liking Riddley Walker. It's like having money in the bank or a bomb shelter full of non-perishable food.
    I also have Room in my 'to be read' pile, but I wanted to comment on The Crimson Petal and the White. I loved this book! It was an unusual style of naration and the story was really juicy. I was sorry when I finished it! How did you like it, Gutmutter?

Crit, I also have Wolf Hall in my pile. Looking forward to that one since I am in a(n) Historical Fic craze right now!
    Last edited by elk; 11-12-2010 at 05:55 PM. Reason: added note for Crit
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

+ Reply to Thread