+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

MRD

Re: What are you reading?

Just read The Help. Excellant book. Several of my old childhood friends just recently discussed this. We were all "raised" by help. Our mothers all had domestic help, but I don't remember a single one of them wearing a uniform. Much of the book was so real to me that I really had a hard time with it. The woman that helped my mother was like another mother to me and she died when I was 9 and it crushed me. But one friend asked her mother how much she paid their help and her mother didn't want to tell her and finally did. She paid the woman $15 a week and she worked 5 days a week and was expected to pick the girls up from school as well as keep house. This was the late 60's and early 70's.

After spending hours today polishing the family silver for my daughter's wedding, I have new respect for these women that worked in other people's homes, raised other people's children and were paid low wages.

But quite honestly, that book was so real life as to be uncomfortable. I'm glad I read it though.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I finally finished Dexter's Spooner. I feel like doing a victory lap or something! I have no idea why it took me so long to read it. It wasn't great, but Dexter's got such a way with a turn of phrase that I enjoy his writing anyway. His main characters generally aren't very sympathetic, so it's hard to root for them.

Now I'm reading R.A. Scott's Basilica:The Splendor and the Scandal: Building St. Peter's. It's for my book club, which meets this Thursday. I'm trying to really plow through it so I'm not skimming the last 50 pages on Thursday afternoon...not that I ever do that

MRD - I still have to read The Help. My mom is reading it for one of her book clubs and then she's going to send it to me. My father grew up with an African American maid who he loved like a second mother. As the youngest - and only boy - he often ended up banished to the kitchen to eat dinner with Mary, which I guess my grandparents thought was a punishment. He never saw it that way - he loved her.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

elk

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea;4094892;
    Funny, I loved The Other Boleyn Girl but couldn't seem to get through a couple of her other historical novels.
    Funny you should say that! I am about halfway through The Constant Princess but am finding I have to skip all the areas where Katherine speaks in first person. I also skipped all the stories she tells Arthur. It felt almost as if the author used these areas to make the book thicker, lol.

The rest of the book, I am enjoying. Next is The Boleyn Inheritance by Philippa Gregory (again). I have heard very good things about this installment.
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

I am reading FAithful Place by Tana French. This is her third book and I am enjoying it as much as the author's first two books..
    Faithful Place [Book]

Just read The Hungry Games triology. Loved it! Couldn't put it down!

Has anyone read The Maze Runner or Graceling or Ender's Game? They have all gotten good reviews, not sure which I want to read next.

I loved all three of those books--Graceling, Ender's Game and The Maze Runner though I have to say that Ender's Game is by far the best. In fact, it is one of my all time favorite books. It's the book that got me started loving fantasy and science fiction. I would definitely go with that one first.

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tamelaine;4096670;
    I loved all three of those books--Graceling, Ender's Game and The Maze Runner though I have to say that Ender's Game is by far the best. In fact, it is one of my all time favorite books. It's the book that got me started loving fantasy and science fiction. I would definitely go with that one first.
    I second this! I loved all three but think Enders Game is the best.

Quote Originally Posted by WrigleyDogA2;4096907;
    I second this! I loved all three but think Enders Game is the best.
    I'll third it! Enders Game is fantastic!

Some of you may remember a few years ago when a young poster started a thread in this forum under the guise of a sort of Cliffs Notes for other members. What he really wanted is for people to give him the plot of Enders Game and explain it to him. It was his summer reading and he hadn't done it and thought the book was boring. He really didn't get the help he needed - just a lot of lectures on doing his homework and not whining about it I would have been overjoyed to get a book like that assigned to me in high school!
    Last edited by Critical; 11-03-2010 at 05:56 PM. Reason: spelling, jeez.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Don't know if anyone has read (and liked) "Up From the Blue" by Susan Henderson. The reviews were off the charts positive but I found it the most depressing book I've read since reading Sylvia Plath's "The Bell Jar" in high school.

elk

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4096923;
    I'll third it! Enders Game is fantastic!

Some of you may remember a few years ago when I young poster started a thread in this forum under the guise of a sort of Cliffs Notes for other members. What he really wanted is for people to give him the plot of Enders Game and explain it to him. It was his summer reading and he hadn't done it and thought the book was boring. He really didn't get the help he needed - just a lot of lectures on doing his homework and not whining about it I would have been overjoyed to get a book like that assigned to me in high school!
    Count me in, too. Even though I read Ender's Game decades ago, I still remember how fresh it was. I enjoyed it so much. The Maze Runner was a good novel, although I was slightly disapointed with its direction. Apparantly it is first in a trilogy. Does anyone else notice a plethora of trilogies these days? lol.

Crit, I'm pretty sure I remember that poster, too!
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

+ Reply to Thread