+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree247Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin;4089014;
    I'm finishing up Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin and I LOVE IT!! It's pure fantasy with so many twists and turns, most of which I didn't see coming. I'm embarrassed to say I've had this book for over 13 years and it took a commercial on HBO touting the new show for me to remember I had it and read it.

There's something about having a 750+ page book that sucks you in and doesn't want to let you go that I just love. Best part is the second book was delivered today and it's another big book. I know already I'm going to be sad when this series ends. I hope the TV series does it justice (and since the author is fully on board, I'm hoping it will!)
    Make sure to read the rest of the series! It's so, so good! And the tv series is going to go through all of the books.

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;4088147;
    Almost finished with "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies". That I would love to see them make a movie starring Kiera Knightly of course or Gemma Atherton or both.
    Being made soon and set (tentatively) for release next year. Last I heard Natalie Portman was going to play Elizabeth (IMDB doesn't have much info); but I don't think that they are finished with casting yet.

Quote Originally Posted by WrigleyDogA2;4089033;
    Being made soon and set (tentatively) for release next year. Last I heard Natalie Portman was going to play Elizabeth (IMDB doesn't have much info); but I don't think that they are finished with casting yet.
    I think Natalie Portman is out now, but I'm not sure. It's a fun gimmick, but I seriously doubt the movie would be any good. I don't know why Hollywood thinks every book should be made into a movie.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I'm reading Half Asleep in Frog Pajamas for the second time. I loaned the book out after reading it originally and never got it back. Now it's on my Kindle so that won't happen again. Any other Tom Robbins fans out there? What's your favorite book of his?
    Count your blessings!

Bram Stoker's Dracula. I've seen the Keanu Reeves/Gary Oldman movie a few times and it put me off reading the book (speaking of books that don't have to be made into movies!). The book is excellent, very suspenseful (oh, and the character of Van Helsing is NOTHING like Hugh Jackman ). Absolutely recommend it.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;4089590;
    Bram Stoker's Dracula. I've seen the Keanu Reeves/Gary Oldman movie a few times and it put me off reading the book (speaking of books that don't have to be made into movies!). The book is excellent, very suspenseful (oh, and the character of Van Helsing is NOTHING like Hugh Jackman ). Absolutely recommend it.
    I LOVE that book! I went through a phase of reading lots of classics, including all the "monster" books - Dracula, Dr. Jeckell and Mr. Hyde, Frankenstein and a few others. They're all better than any movie version.

I put down Pete Dexter for a few days to read Tim Gunn's new book, Gunn's Golden Rules. I absolutely adore Tim and reading this book only makes me love him more. I'm really enjoying how he takes various celebs (and non-celebs) to task for their bad behavior. He also writes about how he isn't always wearing a suit and that makes me think even more that I actually DID see him in MoMA a few years back (the more casual clothing threw me off)....and it makes me wish I'd taken the chance and talked to him! Anyway, I'd definitely recommend it for Tim Gunn fans... or fans of good manners!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4089042;
    I think Natalie Portman is out now, but I'm not sure. It's a fun gimmick, but I seriously doubt the movie would be any good. I don't know why Hollywood thinks every book should be made into a movie.
    Me either. I'm currently reading Andy McDermott's Pyramid of Doom. Now that's a book series I wouldn't mind seeing on the screens. Same goes for Matthew Reilly's Jack West Jr series.

Most movies are based on books, comic books or manga. Mainly because they are great stories and can be translated into film. As for Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, I would think that this movie has a built in fan base of horror film buffs and Jane Austen fans. That is a huge built in fan base. No movie studio is going to ignore that.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

elk

Started The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory a couple of days ago and am almost finished. I can't believe how interesting and fun this book is! I have The Constant Princess and The Boleyn Inheritance now waiting in the wings.

Has anyone else read any of Ms Gregory's novels? I can hardly wait to get back to this book!!!!

A few posts back, we were talking about Let the Right One In, which I finished recently. Yes, this book is the basis for the foriegn flim and the newer Hollywood version. I thought it was really well written and very eerie.
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

Funny, I loved The Other Boleyn Girl but couldn't seem to get through a couple of her other historical novels. I'm reading Mini Shopaholic since I've read all the other books in the series and it's such a funny and light read. But man, Rebecca makes me want to reach into the book and *smack* her sometimes! Love the descriptions of little Minnie though, and all the "mine doll! Miiiiinnnnnee!!!" I remember what it was like to have a 2 year old in the house, though mine didn't wear designer boots or know how to say "Starbucks" and "visa." like little Minnie.

+ Reply to Thread