+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree214Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Anyone reading Pride and Prejudice and Zombies? It is quite funny.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I've read nine books in the past three weeks and have been disappointed with about 75% of them. The one that I enjoyed the most and would give a % star review for (if this was Amazon) is the most recent book in S. J. Rozan's Bill Smith/Lydia Chin series, entitled "On the Line". I love this author, I love the style of her writing and her characters. I want another to read in this series - now!

Amazing how reading one really good book, can make me forget about the other boring, dragging eight books I was plodding through.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;4083904;
    Anyone reading Pride and Prejudice and Zombies? It is quite funny.
    I've read it, and really enjoyed it. The humour would be lost on anyone who hasn't read Austen, but as someone who has practically memorized the original story, I thought the zombie twist was hysterical. Loved the fight scene between Darcy & Elizabeth.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Just visiting this planet nanaslbkp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by straycat80;4067232;
    I just read two fantastic books by Linda Castillo. Sworn to Silence and Pray for Silence. They are murder/mystery books and they were so good I literally could not put them down. I highly recommend this author.
    straycat...I love this author also, but cannot find any others she has written. I guess I'll keep looking and hope for the best! Another great new author I found is Cody McFadyen. His books are riveting and his protagonist, Smoky, is one hell of a character.
    The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hand of man.

elk

Quote Originally Posted by nanaslbkp;4085322;
    straycat...I love this author also, but cannot find any others she has written. I guess I'll keep looking and hope for the best! Another great new author I found is Cody McFadyen. His books are riveting and his protagonist, Smoky, is one hell of a character.
    I have really enjoyed the Smoky books, straycat, the character is so unique.

I had to put down The Count of Monte Cristo for a little while but have read some great stuff in the interim.

Never Let Me Go - for those of you who are staying away because you think it is a Sci-Fi/dystopian future-type novel, don't because it isn't. This book is a wonderful character study; the character of Ruth actually gave me chills because I knew someone like her years ago and she scared me! A very sad book.

Let the Right One In - Yes, a vampire book, but much more old-school where the vamps are creepy and not in the least the sex symbols of recent fiction. This is a seriously scary book, but so well-written and intriguing.

Dexter is Delicious - More than halfway through and am really enjoying it. This is a series that sings with sharp wit and great characterizations.

Coming up: Mocking Jay, the latest in the trilogy written by Del Toro/Hogan (more vampires!), Blindness, Watership Down and The Other Boleyn Sister.
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

Almost finished with "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies". That I would love to see them make a movie starring Kiera Knightly of course or Gemma Atherton or both.

"Wicked Appetite" by Janet Evanovich, this is Diesel's story. Same quirky humor as in the Stephanie Plum series and Carl the Monkey is a supporting character.

"Bullet", the 19th book in the Anita Blake series by Laurell K. Hamilton. What a surprise, I actually liked it. Why? Because it moved along, it didn't seen as if 100 pages of dialog were used to describe dust motes. Richard was behaving like a reasonable, rational being instead of his usual pouting pretty boy. I still think it is incredible stupid for the people in power to discuss their intimate moments and how they plan to deal with their fellow "monsters" in front of their guards, but I guess the author likes to have people watch. One of the best part of the book was the lack of using the phrase "my body", the author can use this phrase in 3 or 4 variations in one sentence and endlessly in a novel. In fact it is the most over used phrase in the entire series. Obviously, someone kicked the author in the butt, about how unhappy her fans were and not to antagonize them. Congratulations to the editor, agent or whom ever that was able to do that. A definite improvement in the series.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by elk;4085695;
    Let the Right One In - Yes, a vampire book, but much more old-school where the vamps are creepy and not in the least the sex symbols of recent fiction. This is a seriously scary book, but so well-written and intriguing.

Dexter is Delicious - More than halfway through and am really enjoying it. This is a series that sings with sharp wit and great characterizations.

[/I]
    WTH!!!! I missed the release of a new Dexter book? It was nowhere to be found on my last bookstore visit, will have to go back and check.

The vampire book - elk, is it about a child vampire? It has the same title as the Swedish film that was recently remade as Let Me In, which I saw a couple weeks ago.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;4088307;
    The vampire book - elk, is it about a child vampire? It has the same title as the Swedish film that was recently remade as Let Me In, which I saw a couple weeks ago.
    I just saw the book in CostCo yesterday and read the back cover - it's the book the movie was based on. I really wanted to get it, but I'm overloaded with books at the moment. I'm sure I'll break down and get it sooner or later, especially in light of the good reviews I've been reading!

I've had company in from out of town, so not much time to read. I'm still reading and really enjoying Pete Dexter's Spooner. A good friend of mine knew Dexter pretty well and, apparently, he was a big jerk to her, but I still love his writing.

This past weekend was the annual trade show I got to, so I came home with dozens of new books. I'm so excited to get started reading them all!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

I'm finishing up Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin and I LOVE IT!! It's pure fantasy with so many twists and turns, most of which I didn't see coming. I'm embarrassed to say I've had this book for over 13 years and it took a commercial on HBO touting the new show for me to remember I had it and read it.

There's something about having a 750+ page book that sucks you in and doesn't want to let you go that I just love. Best part is the second book was delivered today and it's another big book. I know already I'm going to be sad when this series ends. I hope the TV series does it justice (and since the author is fully on board, I'm hoping it will!)
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin;4089014;
    I'm finishing up Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin and I LOVE IT!! It's pure fantasy with so many twists and turns, most of which I didn't see coming. I'm embarrassed to say I've had this book for over 13 years and it took a commercial on HBO touting the new show for me to remember I had it and read it.

There's something about having a 750+ page book that sucks you in and doesn't want to let you go that I just love. Best part is the second book was delivered today and it's another big book. I know already I'm going to be sad when this series ends. I hope the TV series does it justice (and since the author is fully on board, I'm hoping it will!)
    The commercials for the series made me want to read the books too! I may have to pick them up. I was the same way with The Pillars of the Earth - I had the book on my nightstand for at least 10 years and only read it when I heard Follett was writing a sequel! Of course, I still haven't read the second book ....

I love getting lost in those super long books, although I think it's even harder when I finally finish it. It's like leaving an old friend.

Even though I have all these new books sitting here taunting me (I stacked them behind the sofa so I didn't have to look at them! ), I'm determined to finish Spooner. Once that's done though, look out! I'll be plowing through tons of new releases. Stay tuned for reviews
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread