+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;4076482;
    Reading The Hunger Games and I'm obsessed with it. So addictive. I already have books 2 & 3 on hand for when I finish the first!
    I loved those books! The last one was disappointing to a lot of people, but I actually still loved it! It just seemed so realistic to me how the characters were responding to the things they'd been through. Hope you enjoy them!

Over the weekend I read The Journal Keeper by Phyllis Theroux and The Unnamed by Joshua Ferris. The first is the authors annotated journals over a period of time and is mainly just musings on life and meaning. Really nice, but slightly depressing because her elderly mother dies during the course of the book. Still, it was well written and definitely gave me an inferiority complex about any journal I've ever kept! The Unnamed is about a married couple whose marriage is undone by the husband's bizarre illness that even doctor's can't figure out. So yeah, not really an uplifting one either although also well written.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by tamelaine;4077932;
    I loved those books! The last one was disappointing to a lot of people, but I actually still loved it! It just seemed so realistic to me how the characters were responding to the things they'd been through. Hope you enjoy them!
    I'm three-quarters through the second one (Catching Fire). I don't love it as much as the first one, but it is still quite good. Looking forward to seeing how everything turns out.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;4078166;
    I'm three-quarters through the second one (Catching Fire). I don't love it as much as the first one, but it is still quite good. Looking forward to seeing how everything turns out.
    There's going to be a movie, not surprisingly. It's not cast yet but it's set for 2013. I absolutely loved this series. Katniss is a fabulous heroine. I don't know if anyone has been to a major bookstore lately, but there's a pile of HG merch out - tshirts, Mockingjay pins (my daughter is pining for one), keychains, bookmarks, and a board game that might be fun. My daughter already asked for a pin and a game for Christmas.

Well, I'm actually enjoying a Wally Lamb novel for the first time, The Hour I First Believed. Does anyone know - is Lamb using actual quotes from the Columbine tapes?
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;4079914;
    Well, I'm actually enjoying a Wally Lamb novel for the first time, The Hour I First Believed. Does anyone know - is Lamb using actual quotes from the Columbine tapes?
    I wondered that myself when I was reading it, but I never did find out. I think I was planning on searching around online, but never got around to it. He definitely does a good job putting you right there in the middle of it and it does feel like they could be direct quotes. Some of those scenes are really upsetting. Lamb has a way of writing about horrible things in a really compelling way. I liked too how he slipped in a little reference to I Know This Much is True. Talk about a book I couldn't put down!

I just started Pete Dexter's Spooner last night. This may be the last book from last year's trade show that I'm able to read before this year's trade show. So far, it's a good one. I love Dexter's quirky little observations about everyday things. I heard Richard Russo talk about this book, so I'm excited to really get into it.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;4079914;
    There's going to be a movie, not surprisingly. It's not cast yet but it's set for 2013. I absolutely loved this series. Katniss is a fabulous heroine. I don't know if anyone has been to a major bookstore lately, but there's a pile of HG merch out - tshirts, Mockingjay pins (my daughter is pining for one), keychains, bookmarks, and a board game that might be fun. My daughter already asked for a pin and a game for Christmas.
    Yes, I saw The Hunger Games table yesterday with all of the above. They also had tote bags.
    I wonder why the movie is not coming out until 2013. Seems a long time away.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

The "Nikki Heat" novels, supposedly written by TV's Castle (that is, the novelist lead character in the Castle series). I've been commenting about them under the Castle thread under non-reality TV. Decent mystery, but helped by being a Castle show fan.

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

I'm rereading the Dragonrider of Pern books that I've had for eons. Haven't read them since I was in high school, so it's been really nice rediscovering Pern and all that happens there. An added bonus was that there were a couple of books written after I left for college that continues the story with the characters I love, so I've been able to delve even further.

It's interesting to note that 20 years later, I still love these books as much as I did then. I guess I thought my taste would change over the years. Guess not. The best part is that my 7-yo DD saw the covers and wants to read them with me. Can't wait to share this with her.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin;4080284;
    I'm rereading the Dragonrider of Pern books that I've had for eons. Haven't read them since I was in high school, so it's been really nice rediscovering Pern and all that happens there. An added bonus was that there were a couple of books written after I left for college that continues the story with the characters I love, so I've been able to delve even further.

It's interesting to note that 20 years later, I still love these books as much as I did then. I guess I thought my taste would change over the years. Guess not. The best part is that my 7-yo DD saw the covers and wants to read them with me. Can't wait to share this with her.
    I read The Starbeast (Heinlein) to my kids when they were about that age---set up a lifetime love of science fiction which we still share, recommending books to each other.

Quote Originally Posted by chitex3;4072516;
    This was the book I just finished. Really enjoyed it. Getting ready to get Terri McMillian's new book, Getting to Happy.
    I am getting ready to ready Getting to Happy for my book club. I just ordered it on amazon.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

+ Reply to Thread