+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Poppy, thanks.

I think your comments are similar to a lot of the reviews I've seen of it.
    I may go ahead and resve it at the library, nevertheless. That way, I won't feel guilty about the money spent if I don't / can't finish it.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Over the last few days I've gotten a lot of reading done! Holly Chamberlain's One Week in December was pleasant enough chick lit. The kind of family drama I could imagine on the Hallmark Channel or Lifetime. Still, a nice, quick read. Then I moved on to A Friend of the Family by Lauren Grodstein. It had kind of an Ice Storm vibe to it. Not a happy book, but really well-written. I couldn't put it down. Next was Belinda Bauer's Blacklands, the story of a young boy who begins a correspondence with the serial killer who, 18 years earlier, abducted and murdered the boy's uncle, in hopes of getting the killer to reveal where the body is buried. Good, but (duh) pretty upsetting.

Now I'm reading Julie Powell's Cleaving. I didn't read Julie and Julia, but I saw the movie (wow, I hardly ever say that! ), so I know the background on her marriage and the Julia thing. In this one, her marriage is in serious trouble due to her long-term affair and she's apprenticed at a butcher's shop. Some of the butchery stuff is a bit hard to read. I'm not a vegetarian, but the descriptions of how to take apart an animal are a bit too much. I do admire her though - she doesn't pull any punches, especially when revealing things about herself. I have to wonder how the people involved, especially her family, felt about the book.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007;4064328;
    "In my Father's House" By E Lynn Harris
    This was the book I just finished. Really enjoyed it. Getting ready to get Terri McMillian's new book, Getting to Happy.
    RIP....Kevin 11-29-09

Ape House by Sara Gruen.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4055693;
    I finished The Wife's Tale by Lori Lansens last night. It's the story of an overweight woman whose husband, on the eve of their 25th anniversary, doesn't come home. Although she's spent most of her life afraid of the world, she sets out to find him and get him back. She ends up in California, where she gets to know her mother-in-law for the first time, makes new friends and finds herself. It's not a new plot, but it was still a lovely read.
    I liked this one better than The Girls. (I could not for the life of me figure out from the writer's description how the girls looked, which I know is creepy but it was driving me nuts...couldn't get why one had to be carried. I actually googled "craniopagus twins" and I did find a story about a set of twins in Canada that seem to match Lansens' fictional set - their names are Krista & Tatiana Hogan, born in 2006.)

Anyway...I'm reading The Other Family, by Joanna Trollope. I gather she's a romance writer which isn't a genre I normally read, but it's okay so far. Next I give Wally Lamb another try - The Hour I First Believed.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;4073062;
    Anyway...I'm reading The Other Family, by Joanna Trollope. I gather she's a romance writer which isn't a genre I normally read, but it's okay so far. Next I give Wally Lamb another try - The Hour I First Believed.
    I'm not a romance fan either and I had never heard of Joanna Trollope, but I actually enjoyed The Other Family. The Hour I First Believed is incredibly well written and absorbing, but it's also gut-wrenching, just because of the subject matter. I've recommended it to people who say they won't read it because of the material. I liked it in spite of that. Lamb has this way of writing about the most awful things in a way that makes you want to keep reading.

I finished Cleaving yesterday and I have mixed feelings. I guess I respect her openness with the issues in her life, but I can't imagine that it didn't really hurt at least several people, including (and especially) her husband. Plus, there were a few graphic descriptions of animals being killed and butchered that I chose to skip. You know, good for her that she likes being a butcher now, but I didn't need that kind of detail.

Anyway, now I'm reading Matthew Flaming's The Kingdom of Ohio, which is really not like anything I've ever read before. It's a little bit historical fiction, with time travel and romance and Thomas Edison thrown in for good measure. Too hard to describe. Here's a blurb from Publishers Weekly:
    Flaming's debut mixes time travel, historical grit and an alternate history of the American frontier in a romance with a fantastic bent. A contemporary antiques dealer, after coming across an old photo, unspools the story of Peter Force, newly arrived in 1900 New York from Idaho, as he joins a crew of laborers toiling in grim conditions to build the subway system. A chance encounter throws Peter into the path of Cheri-Anne Toledo, a troubled woman who claims to have traveled seven years into the future from the Lost Kingdom of Ohio, a small frontier kingdom over which her father reigned. Cheri-Anne's plight, and his feelings for her, drags them into the orbits of a crusty J.P Morgan and of dueling inventors Thomas Edison and Nicola Tesla. As Peter and Cheri-Anne evade the powerful forces invested in Cheri-Anne, the moment when their lives and the contemporary narrator's intersects looms closer and closer, creating palpable suspense. The journey through the seedier side of New York's Gilded Age, with reprisal killings for labor agitators and nights spent in drunken dance halls, is an arresting contrast to classic time-travel themes. This is a real crowd-pleaser.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Just finished reading Solar by Ian McEwan, which is more humorous than his previous efforts but just as well-written and rich in detail. If you're a fan of his, I'd definitely recommend it. The protoganist is a deeply unpleasant yet eerily sympathetic former Nobel prize recipient who has spent the last decades trying to bask in the Nobel glory. He's basically a glutton, a fraud, and a coward, but McEwan does a wonderful job portraying him. There is one scene in the novel featuring the main character, a train, a bag of chips and an unpleasant stranger that is just a pure joy to read. I recently had the pleasure of seeing Ian McEwan in the flesh during an onstage interview here in Stockholm. He is just as darkly funny and intelligent IRL as he is in his novels. *starstruck*

Also recently read Andrew Taylor's new historical novel of suspense, The Anatomy of Ghosts. I found it incredibly atmospheric - I felt like I was right there, in late 18th century Cambridge with all the fog and smells and wigs - but somewhat lacking in the suspense department. It took me several hundred pages to really get into the story. I preferred Bleeding Heart Square and The American Boy but would still recommend it to FORTers who are in the mood for historical fiction.

Right now, I'm reading The Last Child by John Hart. It's early days, just started reading it on the bus this morning, but so far I'm loving it. Impeccably written, atmospheric, nicely paced and absolutely gutwrenching for a parent (particularly a twin parent - why, oh why do I subject myself to all these bleak literary depictions of twin children?). I really liked Hart's previous novel Down River and this one certainly doesn't disappoint. If you like your thrillers literary and on the bleak side, this one's a keeper.

Crit, incredibly jealous of your reading flow over here! I do 99% of my reading time on the bus to and from work. At night, when the girls are tucked in, I'm lucky if I manage two pages before I fall asleep...

Oh, and count me in among the people who have yet to finish Freedom. It's clearly well-written and oh so ambitious but somehow I find myself picking up new books rather than finishing it... In theory, it's a great read, with that epic scope I seem to enjoy so much in novels, so why am I so lukewarm towards it? It could, of course, boil down to my allergy to all things overly hyped (never did get through the Millennium books, despite my Swedishness). I can't help but feel that if I'd picked it up without all the preconceived notions and high praise, I'd enjoy it much more.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;4068559;

I'll muddle through it, but I'm going to treat myself to Sephen King's Under the Dome while I do. The King novel is twice as long, but I'll bet I finish it before Franzen's. But who knows? Maybe my interest will kick in after a few more chapters ::groan::.
    I finished Under the Dome in three days when it was published last fall. Started reading Freedom five weeks ago and have since read just over 100 pages. Meanwhile, I've started AND finished at least four other novels. I'm just sayin'.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

CCL

Reading The Hunger Games and I'm obsessed with it. So addictive. I already have books 2 & 3 on hand for when I finish the first!
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I'm reading World War Z. My book club decided to do a Halloween type of book for this month so zombies was it! I am actually really loving it. It is very well written (which I did not expect for a zombie book) and really interesting as well!

+ Reply to Thread