+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by cablejockey;4063482;
    Wow! There is going to be a movie based on The Help!!'The Help,' Kathryn Stockett's Debut Bestseller, To Be Made Into A Movie
    I hope it makes a good transition. This was a great book, one of the best I have read in a long time.
    Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

"In my Father's House" By E Lynn Harris
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Finished reading The Passage, loved it...
    elk thanks for the recommendation and the info on part 2.

CCL

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. It's about these clones that are raised and groomed to become organ donors when they reach adulthood. It is not very sci fi at all (though it does raise questions about the ethics of cloning); it is mostly about the relationship between three characters (the protagonist, her frenemy and the boy they both love), their years at school and their lives as they start their careers (first as carers for other donors, than as donors themselves). It's a very interesting read. The movie version is coming out in a couple of weeks; I'm eager to see what they did with it.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I'm just finishing Steve Berry's The Paris Vendetta. I usually have to read his books twice (at least)...so many characters and story lines that it takes me at least two readings to get them all straight. But I do like Cotton Malone :-)

FORT Regular

Finished Velva Jean Learns to Drive by Jennifer Niven. I can honestly say that I loved it just as much as The Help. In fact, there are a couple of passages I'm going to copy down before I return it to the library.

Going to read Little Bee next for book group. There's something ominous about this book that no one wants to tell you about.

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

"Under the Dome" by Stephen King. Also, "Freedom: A Novel" by Jonathn Franzen (picked this up because I went to school with him - now he's on Oprah's book club list. Go Jon!)
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

I read 2 interesting books in the last two weeks.

The Things That Keep Us Here by Carla Buckley. This book is about a suburban family dealing with an influenza pandemic. All the schools are closed and people are told to stay home from work. Stores are closed, and people start getting super paranoid. It seemed pretty realistic and I loved the way the family's situation kept getting worse by small increments. The mother does something about halfway through the book that is shocking but also understandable considering the stress she is feeling.

The second book is A Thousand Cuts by Simon Lelic. It explores the aftermath of a school shooting in England. The twist is that the shooter is a teacher, and his motive seems to change with every person the police interview.

Quote Originally Posted by obsession57;4064722;
    Going to read Little Bee next for book group. There's something ominous about this book that no one wants to tell you about.
    Yup, I've read it and there is. Even on the back it says that after reading it you'll want to share the story, but you shouldn't give away details. I always read the back, and I must say it was quite refreshing to read a book without knowing anything. I loved this book, so enjoy your read!

elk

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden;4064429;
    Finished reading The Passage, loved it...
    elk thanks for the recommendation and the info on part 2.
    You are very welcome. We'll look forward to Book 2 together!

Could someone talk to me about Freedom: A Novel? I have seen so many people reading it yet never heard an opinion or a description.

I also like the sound of Never Let Me Go. I'll be looking for that one!

Haven't gotten much farther in The Count of Monte Cristo, Crit; I've had the flu for a few days but plan to get back to it asap. I truly appreciate all your comments!
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

+ Reply to Thread