+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree269Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

elk

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden;4058809;
    I've been on the Library waiting list for these books since May

I started reading The Passage last night.
    Today I start part II.
    Sara Gruen, Water for Elephants has a new book called Ape House.
    Inthegarden, you will find the second part of the passage so different from the first that it feels like a different book. Stick with it, though and I promise you'll enjoy it! Please feel free to let me know your feelings on it...you, Geek and I can have a little book discussion...(in spoiler tags, of course!).

Geek, the new King collection of short stories is on my wish list at Chapters/Indigo...looking forward to it and The Dome.

Just purchased The Room, which is touted as the book to read this fall. Also a very cool-sounding YA novel called Black Heart Sun (I may have the title slightly wrong, lol) which I had no business getting. Both join the pile beside my bed.

...Oh, and with the new tv season starting, when will I ever have the time to care for my family...laundry? what laundry? lol
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl;4057335;

Has anyone read anything by Gillian Flynn? I recently read Sharp Objects and Dark Places back to back and am absolutely enthralled. Both novels are dark, gritty, bleak, unnerving and incredibly well written. Methinks I've found a new favourite author. (I like 'em bleak...)
    I really like both of Gillian Flynn's books. They both have an almost gothic quality I really enjoyed. I thought Dark Places was a smidge better. It looks like she has a new book coming out in 2011, Gone Girl.

I've just started The God of the Hive. It's a Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes book, I think it's the 10th of the series. I love the original Holmes novels, and this is my favorite reimagining of his character.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4047074;
    Then I read Joyce Carol Oates' A Fair Maiden, which was just okay and actually was pretty disturbing.
    I read this. I thought Katya was a beautifully written character, but wasted in this particular story. Overall, the book was a disappointment.

Now I'm re-reading Margaret Atwood's The Blind Assassin, just because it's been quite a while since I've read it. As it happens, I had put The Girls on hold at the library after reading a synopsis of it somewhere - can't wait until I get my copy.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Fogey

I'm so excited about all of the folks reading "The Passage." I just finished it, and now everything I pick up pales in comparison. Glad to hear that the story will continue, but I was actually ok with the ending. I've been making up my own continuing story!

Finished Every Last One by Anna Quindlen.
    One of the best books I've read in a long while.
    Ms. Quindlen is such an excellent writer who tackles a very difficult subject in this novel in an honest manner. She gives no easy or pat answers; just a realistic portrayal of the aftermath of tragedy on survivors.
    I highly recommend it.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

elk

Has anyone here read Let The Right One In? I am curious about it.

I am really enjoying The Count of Monte Cristo. Some of the scenes are quite surprising and funny. Thanks for recommending it, Crit, it certainly is worth reading!
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

Quote Originally Posted by elk;4062450;
    Has anyone here read Let The Right One In? I am curious about it.

I am really enjoying The Count of Monte Cristo. Some of the scenes are quite surprising and funny. Thanks for recommending it, Crit, it certainly is worth reading!
    I'm so glad you're enjoying it! I loved it. I keep thinking I'm going to buy an unabridged version of it (the one I read was about 1200 pages) because I want to read the WHOLE story! Dumas was a wonderful storyteller! In a lot of cases, there's a reason books are called classics and I think a lot of people would be surprised at how wonderful and relatable the stories still are. I don't think any author has made me gasp in shock the way Thomas Hardy has.

I just started reading a memoir by Peter Birkenhead called Gonville. It's well written and enjoyable, but I can't seem to get very far. I have a lot of other stuff going on, so I haven't really had the time to devote to it, but I plan on spending part of the weekend with it.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Just caught Emily Stone on Leno pushing her new movie and she mentioned that she's been in Mississippi filming "The Help"!!! Has anyone heard about this? Love that book!
    Count your blessings!

Wow! There is going to be a movie based on The Help!!'The Help,' Kathryn Stockett's Debut Bestseller, To Be Made Into A Movie

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Wow... I didn't realize there were sequels to The Passage! Fantastic! Huge fan of "apolcalyptic" novels, and I just finished The Passage last week.

But I digress. I just stopped in to recommend some light fluff---a "detective" series that begins with Her Royal Spyness (and is known as the Spyness series), where the detective is a poor member of the British royal family (34th in line to the throne) during the Depression. Very limited by her royal relations and maintaining the proper image in what she can do to earn money. The mysteries aren't the most interesting part of the books...but a good recreation (I'd guess) of "our kind" during that era. Traces of the Jeeves books. Author is Rhys Bowen. There are 4 books in the series so far, and I'd recommend reading them in order or you may be "spoiled" by references to previous books. Lots of references to Prince Edward and Mrs. Simpson.

+ Reply to Thread