+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Dang, you read a lot, Critical! Usually that's what people tell ME. Good to know you liked The Wife's Tale. I picked up another novel by Lori Lansen, The Girls, when I was pregnant with my daughters but couldn't get past the incredibly graphic and disturbing depiction of a poor, poor woman giving birth to conjoined twins. The horror! Will try again soon, with twins safe and sound and running around outside the womb, and make sure to put The Wife's Tale on my to read list. Sounds like a good read.

Has anyone read anything by Gillian Flynn? I recently read Sharp Objects and Dark Places back to back and am absolutely enthralled. Both novels are dark, gritty, bleak, unnerving and incredibly well written. Methinks I've found a new favourite author. (I like 'em bleak...)

elk, glad to hear you enjoyed The Passage! I bought it the other day; it will be my next book as soon as I finish my current read, Freedom by Jonathan Franzen. Is anyone reading that one? It sure has gotten massive coverage. I find it very well-written in that epic, sweeping Dickensian/Balzacian (hmm, is that a word?) way. However, my initial reaction to mass hypes is to be the sceptic. We'll see how it goes; haven't read that much yet.
    Last edited by geek the girl; 09-09-2010 at 08:57 AM.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

I just started re-reading what may be my all-time favorite science fiction book, Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein. I haven't read it in years and I've had two copies that I lent out mysteriously disappear, but I just got hold of the original uncut version that his wife released after his death. My husband, who was then my fiance, introduced me to science fiction by giving me that book. First published, in 1961, it became THE book for the "love generation," and I find many of its themes very relevant in today's society. Plus, it's a great read! Anybody grok?
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I grok!!!! That book has stayed with me for decades! I re-read it a few years ago. I'll have to see if it's available on Kindle. That's one you want in your library for keeps.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl;4057335;
    Dang, you read a lot, Critical! Usually that's what people tell ME. Good to know you liked The Wife's Tale. I picked up another novel by Lori Lansen, The Girls, when I was pregnant with my daughters but couldn't get past the incredibly graphic and disturbing depiction of a poor, poor woman giving birth to conjoined twins. The horror! Will try again soon, with twins safe and sound and running around outside the womb, and make sure to put The Wife's Tale on my to read list. Sounds like a good read.
    I've been plowing through all the books I got at last year's trade show because this year's event is coming soon and I still have a big pile of them that are still unread. If I don't read them, I feel guilty and greedy. I finally put them all in a spreadsheet and started marking them "read" after I finish them. Makes me feel like I'm getting something done! Luckily, there have been very few stinkers in the bunch.

I haven't read The Girls and I can imagine that wouldn't be good reading when you're pregnant with twins. Yikes. Kind of like when I, unthinkingly, brought Jack and Sarah over to my pregnant cousin's house for movie night....and the mother dies in the first few minutes of the movie. At least it wasn't Rosemary's Baby, right?

I finished The Hole We're In last night and, although it wasn't very uplifting, I still recommend it.

Now I'm reading Girl on Legare Street by Karen White. It's kind of a supernatural mystery, with the lead character as a realtor who can see and speak to ghosts. It's not quite as cheesy as it sounds and I'm not sure I'll be able to read it at night. There's a really menacing presence in the book and, when I was reading it last night, I kept flinching at every little noise!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;4057657;
    I grok!!!! That book has stayed with me for decades! I re-read it a few years ago. I'll have to see if it's available on Kindle. That's one you want in your library for keeps.
    Gutmutter, I looked on Amazon.com and it says the kindle edition is NOT available for United States readers. I don't know about other countries.

I got mine at the Quality Paperback Book Club, New Paperback Books, Bestselling Fiction - Quality Paperback Book Club and I was pleasantly surprised when it came and it was a hardcover edition. That's one of those book clubs, but I joined to get 4 books for $4.00 plus shipping and handling plus 1 more at $4.99. I joined to get this book. So I got 5 books worth 132.00 for $23.00 and the only further obligation is buy 1 more during the year. Worth it to me.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

LOVE QPB, Florimel! I join every few years. It's great to do a little Christmas shopping! Depending on the offer you get, sometimes you don't even need to buy any books....or maybe they've changed it since the last time I joined. It's even better since they now let you get notifications through email instead. I usually join through My Points, so I get a great deal on books and, depending on the deal they have, I can get at least 1,000 points too.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

elk

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl;4057335;

elk, glad to hear you enjoyed The Passage! I bought it the other day; it will be my next book as soon as I finish my current read, Freedom by Jonathan Franzen. Is anyone reading that one? It sure has gotten massive coverage. I find it very well-written in that epic, sweeping Dickensian/Balzacian (hmm, is that a word?) way. However, my initial reaction to mass hypes is to be the sceptic. We'll see how it goes; haven't read that much yet.
    Geek, as a fellow S. King fan, I think you'll love The Passage. It reminded me somewhat of The Stand (my favorite novel of all time) and The Strain (another one I recommend). There is a little bit of The Road thrown in there. I recently found out that it is the first of a trilogy (what's with all the trilogies these days, anyway?) which makes me very, very happy! Please keep me posted as to your opinion?

I am a couple of hundred pages (out of about 1200 total) into The Count of Monte Cristo and am liking it much more than the last time I posted.

Next up: Mockingjay, The Rapture, Beautiful Creatures and Under the Dome. There are many more books on my wish list, though, lol~
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

Quote Originally Posted by elk;4058213;
    Geek, as a fellow S. King fan, I think you'll love The Passage. It reminded me somewhat of The Stand (my favorite novel of all time) and The Strain (another one I recommend). There is a little bit of The Road thrown in there. I recently found out that it is the first of a trilogy (what's with all the trilogies these days, anyway?) which makes me very, very happy! Please keep me posted as to your opinion?
    Will do! Oh, and you're in for a treat with Under the Dome. I never quite "got" the concept of the book, it felt a bit under-researched/imagined for me, but I honestly didn't care since King's grasp on the characters and the town itself was so stellar. Did you know he's got a short story collection coming out in November? It's called Full Dark, No Stars; here's the Amazon page: Amazon.com: Full Dark, No Stars (9781439192566): Stephen King: Books Can't wait to read it! His last short story collection before this one, Just After Sunset, was a bit of a letdown for me. One AMAZING story ("N") and a few decent one, but the overall quality left a lot to be desired, in my humble opinion.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

I'm finishing the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series - the second time around. I'm on the 3rd book and since I just read it when it came out this spring, I'm skimming a lot to get to the good parts. There aren't a lot of books I've read twice, but this series is worth it.
    Last edited by Gutmutter; 09-10-2010 at 04:57 PM.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;4058441;
    I'm finishing the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series - the second time around. I'm on the 3rd book and since I just read it when it came out this spring, I'm skimming a lot to get to the good parts. There aren't a lot of books I've read twice, but this series is worth it.
    I've been on the Library waiting list for these books since May

I started reading The Passage last night.
    Today I start part II.
    Sara Gruen, Water for Elephants has a new book called Ape House.

+ Reply to Thread