+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree244Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

The friend I'm staying with just started The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and got confused, so I started re-reading it to help explain things to her, and I may be hooked back in again. I think it was this time last year that I read it for the first time, which boggles my mind because that seems like a decade ago, so much has happened this year.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4047074;
    I finished Serena yesterday and man, it got SO dark at the end. Still, it was one of those books I couldn't put down. Then I read Joyce Carol Oates' A Fair Maiden, which was just okay and actually was pretty disturbing. Think Lolita without the tender love story (sarcasm). It's the story of a 16 year old girl who spends the summer working as a nanny for an affluent couple. One day she meets a charming, enigmatic children's book author/illustrator who is 68. The two begin a strange relationship that turns more and more destructive. I'm hot and cold on Oates (sorry, geek the girl - I know you love her!) - some I like and some I don't. The writing was okay, but I just couldn't get past the subject matter....and I didn't feel that way about Lolita
    No worries, Critical, I am acutely aware of JCO's notorious unevenness as a writer. She's very much a hit and miss type of writer; when she's good, she's phenomenal, but you have to get through a couple of lacklustre performances if you want to read it all. (I know, I'm sick.) I actually didn't care that much for A Fair Maiden, either. I re-read Lolita shortly before picking this up - entirely by accident! - and I did find myself comparing them, with Oates coming up second. I liked the menacing feel of the story, but the writing was much too repetitive. Not a good thing in such a short, brief novel. How many times do you have to comment on Katya's flat, nasal south Jersey accent, anyway? I swear, I was deeply tempted to come up with my very own drinking game and take a big swig whenever she brought up the accent.

Much as if pains me to say this, Joyce Carol Oates has been more miss than hit lately. I loved The Gravedigger's Daughter, but after that it's been nothing but maybes and disappointments. I keep hoping that her next one will be on par with Blonde. Perhaps I should stop hoping...
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Just recently finished The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shafer and Annie Burrows. It is written primarily in letters back and forth between the residents of the Guernsey Islands (between France and England) and an author in London. The Guernsey Islands were occupied by the Germans during WWII and they cut off communication between the island residents and the rest of the world during the war.

Reading the book told through letters reminded me of a couple of books I read as a kid / pre-teen called Daddy Long Legs and Dear Enemy, both by Jean Webster. I downloaded both to my Kindle and finished them in record time.

I'm waiting for the paperback version of Half-Broke Horses to be shipped soon. Until then, I'm reading Switch, a more business-type book.
    Last edited by moflan; 08-25-2010 at 08:32 PM. Reason: formatting, spelling

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

I'm currently reading The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. I love the writing but can't seem to get into the story. I'm plugging away and am about 1/3 of the way through but...
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

I had to put aside Velva Jean Learns to Drive because my book club meets a week from tomorrow and I haven't read the book yet.

SO, I'm now reading The Cheese Monkeys: A Novel in Two Semesters by Chip Kidd. It's set at a state college in the Pacific Northwest in the late 50s. I'm only about 30 pages in and I've already laughed out loud more than once. Here's the opening to the second chapter:
    On the first day of class, the Visual Arts building reclined before me like an old brick whore, egging me on to show her one, last, good time. I doubted I was up to the task, but regardless, I entered it from the rear, just to give myself the slightest mental edge.
    The last book we read was pretty dense and serious, so I'm glad we've got a fun one to "cleanse the palate!"
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fanatic

Just finished reading "The Postcard Killers" - awesome:-)

Just started Mockingjay - my daughter conveniently bought in and finished it in two days. Can't wait to see how the series ends.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Fogey

Two upcoming biographies I've added to my list, due for release in the fall:
    Washington: A Life, by Ron Chernow and Colonel Roosevelt, by Edmund Morris.

Chernow is the author of probably my all-time favorite biography, Titan: The Life of John D. Rockefeller. And Colonel Roosevelt is the third in a triology of Morris' biography of Theodore Roosevelt. Great company for a fireside read on a chilly fall day!

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin;4048348;
    I'm currently reading The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. I love the writing but can't seem to get into the story. I'm plugging away and am about 1/3 of the way through but...
    I have to take this post back. I just finished The Book Thief this morning and absolutely loved it! Naturally, after posting the above, the story picked up and I had a hard time putting it down every night. This is a book that will stick with me for a while...
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;4053626;
    Just started Mockingjay - my daughter conveniently bought in and finished it in two days. Can't wait to see how the series ends.
    My sister just gave me the first book of that series. Probably will be the next book I read.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

+ Reply to Thread