+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

elk

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;4040480;
    I'm reading it now, finally. I meant to re-read Oryx & Crake first but I ended up diving right into this. Very good so far. The older female protagonist, Toby, reminds me a lot of Toni, one of the characters in The Robber Bride, one of my Atwood favourites.
    I loved both Oryx & Crake and The Year of the Flood. I am on a run of post-apocalyptic novels at the moment and those two fit the bill nicely.

I am slowly savouring The Passage by Justin Cronin. I can't tell you how much I love this book. As an avid book worm for 50+ years, I can tell you it will be amongst my all-time top ten! I've also read several really good Scott Sigler books recently and am eagerly awaiting Mocking Jay on August 24!

Next, I think I'd like to tackle The Count of Monte Cristo. Does anyone have any words of wisdom about it?
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

Quote Originally Posted by elk;4040700;
    Next, I think I'd like to tackle The Count of Monte Cristo. Does anyone have any words of wisdom about it?
    I read it pretty recently and LOVED it. I thought I'd found the original version, but found out it was still abridged, even though it was at least 800 pages long. One of these days, I'll hunt down the unabridged version, because I felt like I was missing things.

I found a character list online that showed all the relationships and who everyone was and then printed it out and kept it in the book, since my book didn't have that. It helped a lot since there are a lot of characters to keep track of. Actually, I just looked it up and this is it: File:Countofmontecristorelatio ns.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Beware that there are some plot points revealed in there, so if you don't want to know, don't look at it! I never did find a basic list that had just the character name and who they were, but that diagram helped.

Long story short - I thought it was a fantastic story and well worth the time

I finished Rosemary and Rue last night and highly recommend it for fans of fantasy. The blend of fantasy and detective story was done really well.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I'm reading The Heights by Peter Hedges. Basically, it's the story of a married couple and what happens when a new neighbor - a glamorous, rich and beautiful woman - moves into the neighborhood and sort of "adopts" the couple. The story is told mainly from the point of view of the husband and wife, although other characters get their say as well. It's really quite good - a story about normal people that, if it were your life, you'd think was boring, but it's not.

The author also wrote What's Eating Gilbert Grape? as well as the screenplays for Dan in Real Life and About a Boy (which he adapted from the book, obviously!). I just started it last night and I'm only about 100 pages from finishing it. I've sort of been ignoring the real world to read it, which means it's a good book!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

That sounds like a book I'd like. I'm going to go see if it's available on Kindle.
    I'm reading a fun book called Herb 'n' Lorna about a guy who finds out at his grandmother's funeral that his grandparents had a secret business all their lives of making and selling "course goods" - erotic jewelry. Right now it's telling the background of each of the grandparents and how they met, but it's still early in the book.
    Count your blessings!

I just finished Crush by Alan Jacobson. Pretty standard thriller, but I enjoyed it and I DIDN'T guess the killer way before the end. The main character is an FBI profiler on vacation with her boyfriend in Napa when a body is discovered at the winery they're touring. Since I know that area pretty well, it was fun to read - the touring part, not the serial killer part Of course, the author left a fairly big plot point unfinished, so now I'll have to read the next book in the series, darnit!

Now I'm reading Geneen Roth's Women, Food and God. I rarely read self-help books (mainly because I think they're mostly full of crap), but I've read good reviews on this one. In a nutshell, it's about the issues women have with food and why their "hunger" rarely has anything to do with food. So far, it's interesting, although I don't know if it will have any effect on me.

FORT Fogey

Although I didn't set out to choose books with a WWII storyline, I somehow managed to read 3 this summer, and loved all of them. The Piano Teacher, Not Me, and The Madonnas of Leningrad. It would be hard to choose a favorite, I thought they were all wonderful, well-written stories, and highly recommend them.

Quote Originally Posted by MizDaisy;4044937;
    Although I didn't set out to choose books with a WWII storyline, I somehow managed to read 3 this summer, and loved all of them. The Piano Teacher, Not Me, and The Madonnas of Leningrad. It would be hard to choose a favorite, I thought they were all wonderful, well-written stories, and highly recommend them.
    I haven't read Not Me, but read and loved the other two. I think The Madonnas of Leningrad is probably my favorite of the two, but I loved them both.

In light of the fact that I have a half-eaten pizza in my fridge, I've put Women, Food and God on hold for a few days so I don't feel bad about myself.

I'm now reading Serena by Ron Rash. It's set in North Carolina in the 1930s and focuses on (so far, at least) the owner of a timber company and his ruthless new wife (Serena). I'm just getting hints of a looming battle with environmentalists over the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. It's not a fast read, but the writing is lovely. I haven't read anything about the book other than the copy on the back cover, so I have no idea where this is going, but I'm enjoying the ride. The back cover copy describes it as "a gothic tale of greed, corruption, and revenge" so I'm sure it's going to get juicy!

Do any of you use GoodReads.com? I don't have anyone to "friend" there (my user name is Pixie). It's a good place to find synopses of books, among many other useful features.

Just got done with Huckleberry Finn for the vintage juvenile fiction discussion group. The all-county "big read" this year was Tom Sawyer, so we decided we might as well read Huck Finn, too.

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;4038744;
    My Fair Lazy by Jen Lancaster: One Reality Television Addict's Attempt to Discover If Not Being A Dumb A** Is the New Black; Or, A Culture-Up Manifesto by Jen Lancaster.

This is a funny book that I believe a lot of Forters can relate to. Jen decided to expand her horizons beyond pop culture and into high-brow culture. But there is still a lot of funny asides about reality shows that I enjoyed. The "shame rattle" is one of my favorites. Jen's writing style is very sarcastic and little bitter, so if that isn't your cup of tea I wouldn't recommend this book.
    Thank you - I had not heard of this before - now it is on my hold queue at the library!

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian;4037796;
    Just finished reading The Thirteenth Tale, based on recommendations in this thread.
    I read this for my library's (general) book discussion group. Very good!

Quote Originally Posted by MizDaisy;4044937;
    Our book discussion group just did Madonnas of Leningrad. The master list we are allowed to choose from is always very heavy on WWII - I think it shows up in one way or another in at least 90% of our choices! Usually we don't even know it ahead of time, but then, there it is.
    Last edited by Harvest; 08-23-2010 at 09:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4041874;
    I'm reading The Heights by Peter Hedges. Basically, it's the story of a married couple and what happens when a new neighbor - a glamorous, rich and beautiful woman - moves into the neighborhood and sort of "adopts" the couple. The story is told mainly from the point of view of the husband and wife, although other characters get their say as well. It's really quite good - a story about normal people that, if it were your life, you'd think was boring, but it's not.

The author also wrote What's Eating Gilbert Grape? as well as the screenplays for Dan in Real Life and About a Boy (which he adapted from the book, obviously!). I just started it last night and I'm only about 100 pages from finishing it. I've sort of been ignoring the real world to read it, which means it's a good book!
    REALLY happy to hear Peter Hedges is back! He's one of those writers I've missed reading without realizing it, if that makes sense. Will definitely check it out asap. Also very curious to find out whether Jonathan Franzen's Freedom lives up to the borderline ridiculous media hype. I really enjoyed The Corrections, although the whole refusing to be on Oprah thing didn't give him any extra points in my book. (He remains, correct me if I'm wrong here, the only living writer whose works have been Oprah's book club picks who hasn't been on the show.)

As for me, I just finished the new Jennifer Weiner, Fly Away Home. Really liked it: it is trademark Weiner (witty, laugh-out-loud funny, poignant, great female characters) but strikes me as slightly more mature, serious even than her back catalogue. The premises remind me a bit of American Wife by Curtis Sittenfeld, which is kind of funny since Sittenfeld was one of Weiner's first readers (found out in the thank you notes). Also started I Think I Love You by Alison Pearson, the author of I Don't Know How She Does It. Another great pick if you're interested in a light yet substantial read (if that makes sense). I especially like the 1970's segments.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

I finished Serena yesterday and man, it got SO dark at the end. Still, it was one of those books I couldn't put down. Then I read Joyce Carol Oates' A Fair Maiden, which was just okay and actually was pretty disturbing. Think Lolita without the tender love story (sarcasm). It's the story of a 16 year old girl who spends the summer working as a nanny for an affluent couple. One day she meets a charming, enigmatic children's book author/illustrator who is 68. The two begin a strange relationship that turns more and more destructive. I'm hot and cold on Oates (sorry, geek the girl - I know you love her!) - some I like and some I don't. The writing was okay, but I just couldn't get past the subject matter....and I didn't feel that way about Lolita

Next up is Velva Jean Learns to Drive by Jennifer Niven. I'm hoping it's more uplifting than the last two books I've read. Fingers crossed!

+ Reply to Thread