+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

a jumble of useless facts gracie's Avatar

Re: What are you reading?

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson. The first two were pretty good and this one is living up to expectations so far.
    There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. -Ken Olsen

While on vacation, I read The Sweet Potato Queens 1st Big Ass Novel by Jill Conner Browne. If you like American humor, you'll love this one. I laughed my ass off all the way through it. Of course, I grew up romping through Louisiana and Mississippi so I could relate to so many of the one-liners, the dialect, and the ton of the book. I just picked up a few others in the Sweet Potato series.

On deck, I have The Help by Kathryn Stockett. It deals with civil rights and racial issues in Mississippi in the 60's where it was acceptable for black women to raise the children of white families.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by lildago;4036167;
    On deck, I have The Help by Kathryn Stockett. It deals with civil rights and racial issues in Mississippi in the 60's where it was acceptable for black women to raise the children of white families.
    This is an awesome read. Lots of us here loved it.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by lildago;4036167;
    While on vacation, I read The Sweet Potato Queens 1st Big Ass Novel by Jill Conner Browne. If you like American humor, you'll love this one. I laughed my ass off all the way through it. Of course, I grew up romping through Louisiana and Mississippi so I could relate to so many of the one-liners, the dialect, and the ton of the book. I just picked up a few others in the Sweet Potato series.

Then you have got to read her earlier books, The Sweet Potato Queens' Book Of Love, God Save the Sweet Potato Queens', The Big-Ass Cookbook (and Financial Planner), The Sweet Potato Queens' Field Guide to Men.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3986683;
    I'm listening to The Thirteenth Tale... and really enjoying it. I've been striking it lucky with good reads this summer.
    Just finished reading The Thirteenth Tale, based on recommendations in this thread. A really nice spooky story with lots of interesting twists.

Here's my favorite quote from the book:
    "How long did I sit on the stairs after reading the letter? I don't know. For I was spellbound. There is something about words. In expert hands, manipulated deftly, they take you prisoner. Wind themselves around your limbs like spider silk, and when you are so enthralled you cannot move, they pierce your skin, enter your blood, numb your thoughts. Inside you they work their magic."
    I loved that!!! It's so descriptive of what happens to those of us who are avid readers. Thanks for recommending the book!
    Warning . . . I have a black belt in Facebook, and I'm not afraid to use it!

You're welcome! I love it when I recommend a book I've enjoyed and learn that someone else has liked it, too.
    Count your blessings!

My Fair Lazy by Jen Lancaster: One Reality Television Addict's Attempt to Discover If Not Being A Dumb A** Is the New Black; Or, A Culture-Up Manifesto by Jen Lancaster.

This is a funny book that I believe a lot of Forters can relate to. Jen decided to expand her horizons beyond pop culture and into high-brow culture. But there is still a lot of funny asides about reality shows that I enjoyed. The "shame rattle" is one of my favorites. Jen's writing style is very sarcastic and little bitter, so if that isn't your cup of tea I wouldn't recommend this book.

I downloaded Beautiful Lies by Lisa Unger on my eReader because it was very cheap ($2). Has anybody read it? Although the story seems interesting, I do not like the writer's style. It's written in the main character's point of view and she does lots of asides to the reader.
    I don't know if I want to keep going, but I don't want to miss out on a good story.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3730524;
    I just finished The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood. If you ever read Oryx and Crake, she is revisiting this tale from another angle. It's the same event, the same world/time setting and some of the same characters. But the main characters in this one were minor characters in the other and vice versa.
    I'm reading it now, finally. I meant to re-read Oryx & Crake first but I ended up diving right into this. Very good so far. The older female protagonist, Toby, reminds me a lot of Toni, one of the characters in The Robber Bride, one of my Atwood favourites.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Ooooh... let me know how you like it. I went back and read Oryx and Crake AFTER I finished it.
    I just saw Eat, Pray, Love... probably the worst book to movie transition ever. The women behind us couldn't follow it at all. I was able to enjoy it since I read the book, but they left out a lot of the key concepts, especially in India.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread