+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree247Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I was disappointed in the most recent Evanovich book - Sizzlin Sixteen.......maybe it was just me, it felt same ole thing, and I just wasn't into it. I actually thought I was reading one of her first books ever written. For me, the last good Evanovich book was 13.

I am currently reading one of M.C. Beaton's books in the Hamish Macbeth series. I've long been a fan of her Agatha Raisen series, and decided to give Hamish a try. Although I am only in the first 5 pages - I think it will be similar to the Agatha Raisen series (mystery cozies). I also picked up the Jill Churchill book "The Accidental Florist" - have never read anything by this author before, so I have no clue what she is like. But I have a good feeling.

The book I am looking forward to reading as soon as it comes into the library is "You Lost Me There" by Rosecrans Baldwin. I've read good reviews on this one - it isn't often that a first novel scores so highly in the press.
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.
    Christopher Reeve

FORT Fogey

Just finished "Handle with Care" by Jodi Picoult. Well written; I could not put it down.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl;4028900;
    I was disappointed in the most recent Evanovich book - Sizzlin Sixteen.......maybe it was just me, it felt same ole thing, and I just wasn't into it. I actually thought I was reading one of her first books ever written. For me, the last good Evanovich book was 13.

I agree. Sixteen was disappointing. I think she is just putting out words to fulfill a contract. She has her other books to give her attention to.

I was at the library yesterday and received a pleasant surprise. Joan Hess has put out a new book in the Maggody series. Merry Wives of Maggody. Just started it so I am not sure if I will like it but I have yet to be disappointed in either one of her series, Maggody and Claire Malloy. I think it is because she doesn't just churn them out. It is like she takes time to think as she writes.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Doyu Gems Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

The Plague Dogs, by Richard Adams. I've always been a fan of Shardik, didn't care for Watership Down though, and had yet to pick up The Plague Dogs.

I liked it, despite the ending, , I'm a sap for dogs.

I'm reading a good one for fans of fantasy called Rosemary and Rue (author - Seanan McGuire). It's hard to describe, but here's a little write-up from Publisher's Weekly:
    Singer-songwriter McGuire adeptly infuses her debut with hardboiled sensibilities and a wide array of mythological influences, set against a moody San Francisco backdrop. October Toby Daye is half-human, half-faerie, a changeling PI with a foot in both worlds. After spending 14 years as a fish following a botched assignment, she's desperate to avoid magic, but the dying curse of a murdered elven lady forces her to investigate the killing, with the price of failure being Toby's own painful death. Toby struggles with court intrigue, magical mayhem, would-be assassins and her own past, always driven by the need to succeed and survive. Well researched, sharply told, highly atmospheric and as brutal as any pulp detective tale, this promising start to a new urban fantasy series is sure to appeal to fans of Jim Butcher or Kim Harrison.
    I'm not a big fan of this genre, but I'm enjoying the book, probably largely because it's set in a city I know quite well and it's fun to imagine this whole other world there.

This is the first in a series and I think she's up to at least book 3 now. That could be good or bad news since this first book was just published last September. I tend to be a little wary of authors who are this prolific. Three books published in a year seems like a lot. This first book is pretty good - I hope she can maintain the quality.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Dennis Lehane's Any Given Day. Found it in the bargain rack at Indigo for $6.99 - go figure, because it's an entertaining, well-researched read. The setting is Boston, just after the First World War, and it tackles a variety of societal issues - the formation of labour unions, race, police corruption, organized crime, terrorism. Part of the book is told from the viewpoint of Babe Ruth, which at times is pretty comical. It would make a brilliant movie, but the main plotline - the battle to form a labour union for the Boston police force - probably wouldn't be interesting to a lot of people.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;4032182;
    Dennis Lehane's Any Given Day. Found it in the bargain rack at Indigo for $6.99 - go figure, because it's an entertaining, well-researched read. The setting is Boston, just after the First World War, and it tackles a variety of societal issues - the formation of labour unions, race, police corruption, organized crime, terrorism. Part of the book is told from the viewpoint of Babe Ruth, which at times is pretty comical. It would make a brilliant movie, but the main plotline - the battle to form a labour union for the Boston police force - probably wouldn't be interesting to a lot of people.
    You're on a roll with the good books lately! I loved Any Given Day! I've read a few of Lehane's previous books and wasn't sure about this one, but I ended up really enjoying it. I love historical fiction and this one was SO well researched.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

What Looks Like Crazy on an Ordinary Day by Pearl Cleage
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007;4033040;
    What Looks Like Crazy on an Ordinary Day by Pearl Cleage
    It's been a few years since I read this, but I remember this book very fondly. And there was a sequel I Wish I Had a Red Dress that I liked as well. I hope you enjoy it!

FORT Fanatic

It's been awhile for me also reading her books, but she's one of my favorite authors, and you selected a good one to read.
    RIP....Kevin 11-29-09

+ Reply to Thread