+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl;4019390;
    Sorry for the double post, but I just saw this:

The Woman in Black is one of those stories that comes back to haunt the reader long after the last page has been turned. The ending scared me senseless. Must admit that I'm a bit sceptical to the Daniel Radcliffe casting - he strikes me as too young, but if he wants to find a new mature audience, I can see why this would be the way to go - but I am very excited about it being filmed again.
    After reading the book, I found the original BBC series on YouTube and watched it yesterday. Interesting trivia - the guy who played Arthur on the BBC series is the same guy who played James in the Harry Potter movies. Like "father," like "son."
    Warning . . . I have a black belt in Facebook, and I'm not afraid to use it!

FORT Fogey

I'm reading The Passage on my new Sony eReader. I know, I caved. But I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by SpringMaiden27;4024662;
    I'm reading The Passage on my new Sony eReader. I know, I caved. But I love it!
    REALLY curious about The Passage after having heard several people rave about it (including Stephen King). Must check it out!

Has anyone read Still Alice by Lisa Genova? I read it the other day and nearly cried my eyes out. It is a remarkably well-written and poignant novel about a 50 year old Harvard professor, Alice, who is diagnosed with early-onset Alzheimers. I can't recommend it enough; I imagine it would be a particularly good choice for book clubs.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl;4025011;
    REALLY curious about The Passage after having heard several people rave about it (including Stephen King). Must check it out!

Has anyone read Still Alice by Lisa Genova? I read it the other day and nearly cried my eyes out. It is a remarkably well-written and poignant novel about a 50 year old Harvard professor, Alice, who is diagnosed with early-onset Alzheimers. I can't recommend it enough; I imagine it would be a particularly good choice for book clubs.
    I read Still Alice and had the same reaction you did, geek. It was so good, but SO gut-wrenching. I don't have any experience with Alzheimer's in my own family, but it felt so authentic to me. It was really hard to read, but very worthwhile.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

My grandmother passed from the disease so I don't dare read Still Alice. I want to, but fear I won't be able to make it through the whole thing. To live with that disease is gut wrenching. Especially if it's someone very close to you. I just don't think I could read the book.

I'm reading Bloodline by Maggie Shayne. It's vampire fluff, but so far, it's really good.

Has anyone read any inspirational fiction by Teresa Slack. I'm curious as to what you think of her if you have.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didn’t hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

I dug up my post about Still Alice from last September:
    Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3700791;
    I finished it last night. I can't say I LOVED it, because it's not the kind of book that I want to read again and again. I did think it was very well written and, based on the author's background, probably very accurate. I found it completely heartbreaking, but I couldn't put it down. I think it should probably be required reading for anyone who has a loved one with Alzheimer's
    I can definitely understand why you wouldn't want to read it, JavaJo. It was hard for me to read and I haven't lost a loved one to the disease. This book is even more heartbreaking because the character has early onset Alzheimer's, so she's in her 50s when the disease strikes.

Right now, I'm reading Broken Glass Park by Alina Bronsky. It's translated from Russian, so I instantly was interested: I'm such a Russophile. Here's the write up from Booklist:
    Growing up in a rough city neighborhood in Germany, Sacha, 17, is a brilliant student, the only Russian immigrant in her elite Catholic high school. But everything is on hold when her brutal stepfather murders her mother. Sacha’s obsession is to kill him, in prison or out, even as she nurtures her little brother and sister in the violent projects. A lot happens in this first novel, but more than the fast plot, it is the striking narrative voice that will grab readers. Translated from the German, the present-tense narrative nails the contemporary teen voice—wry, furious, hilarious, heartbreaking, “wired but wrecked at the same time.” Rooted in the immigrant experience (struggling with a new language, forgetting the old one), the coming-of-age story is universal. When a guy threatens to make Sacha’s life a living hell, she says, “Too late; it already is.” Yes, she hates men, and maybe she hates women, too. Her anger makes you laugh and cry.
    It's really not as deadly depressing as it sounds. The narrator's voice and story are so compelling, I just can't stop reading.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

My grandmother started showing signs in her early 70's and she passed at age 94. It was tough. Oddly enough, at the very end, she couldn't speak but you could see recognition in her eyes. She KNEW us and I think that was worse because she couldn't communicate to us. But we were all there, able to say goodbye and for that I'll always be grateful.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didn’t hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

I just finished Henry James's Washington Square. It was awesome. His books can be so flowery, almost soapy, but I like that he brings depth to the narrator's insights, and the characters.

Now I'm rereading Mansfield Park (I know everyone hates it, but it's my favorite Austen), and I'm starting Small Island; I checked it out because I thoroughly loved the PBS miniseries last spring, but I'm kind of afraid because it might not be as good as the adaptation. The reviews I read were mixed.

I LOVE Mansfield Park! It's my third favorite Austen after Persuasion and Pride and Prejudice. I'm really not a big fan of Northanger Abbey. As a character in Jane Austen Book Club said, "It's like 'Nightmare on Northanger Abbey Street.'"

I read Washington Square a while back and really liked it. I tend toward English authors like Austen and Hardy, but I really like James' style too.

I finished Faithful Place by Tana French today. It wasn't as interesting as her first two books, but I still enjoyed it. I felt the characters were drawn a little too black/white this time around, but that may have been just the way the protagonist sees them.

+ Reply to Thread