+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I just finished reading The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley and I loved it . Perfect summer read, IMO. I was happy to find out that there will be more Flavia de Luce mysteries to come.

I also reread all of Beverly Clearly's Ramona Quimby stories. These were among my favourite books growing up and hearing about the movie just made me feel like remembering the stories. I loved them every bit as much as I did as a child . I'm planning to give them to my 6 year old niece. I hope she loves them too.

Next up, In the Woods by Tana French. I read a review of this book in an airplane magazine . But I have big hopes for it.

I finished The Disappeared last night and I really cannot recommend it more highly. It was definitely not easy to read, not in that it took a long time, but the subject matter - the Vietnamese occupation of Cambodia - was difficult. I know I'll be thinking about this book for a long time. It was so beautiful and haunting and really heartbreaking. Definitely a

Now I'm reading Tell Me Something True by Leila Cobo. It's about a young woman who visits her dead mother's family in Colombia for the summer (which she does every year) and falls in love with what her grandmother deems to be an inappropriate man. She also finds her mother's diary through which she learns that a lot of what she thought about her mother was not true. It's a pretty quick read and I'm enjoying it a lot.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Ad Astra Per Aspera homeontherange's Avatar

I'm working my way through Nevada Barr's Anna Pigeon mystery series which I am enjoying immensely. I read other books in between for variety.
    Currently on Jamestown, The Bured Truth by William Kelso ...a little dry but still an interesting read about the Jamestown colony.
    I recently finished Desperate Passage by Ethan Rarick about the Donner Party which was excellent. I found that I knew very little about the Donner Party and the events that lead to their tragedy.

Bright Shiny Morning by James Frey, and finding it hard to put down. The style is somewhat toned down since A Million Little Pieces - a good thing, IMO, makes it easier to read - but the story is just as compelling.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I'm finally reading Sizzling Sixteen by Janet Evanovich. So far, I'm enjoying it.

I'm waiting for The Glass Castle. There is a waiting list at my library. I've heard it's really good. I might have to break down and buy it...lol
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo;4016593;
    I'm finally reading Sizzling Sixteen by Janet Evanovich. So far, I'm enjoying it.

I'm waiting for The Glass Castle. There is a waiting list at my library. I've heard it's really good. I might have to break down and buy it...lol
    I liked it also. I am headed out to the airport to catch a flight to Miami so I have two Sharon Sala books to read on the flight and for my layover.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Likes Scottish Vikings! talldede's Avatar

Just finished the mammoth last book in The Bronze Horseman trilogy, The Summer Garden by Paullina Simons. I adore the characters of Tatiana and Alexander and I'm sad to let them go.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Harry Potter geek that I am (by the way, today - July 31st - is Harry's birthday), I heard that Daniel Radcliffe's next role will be in the movie adaptation of "The Woman in Black" by Susan Hill. I got it from the local library. It's only 160 pages, so it was a quick read.

Scared the living daylights out of me. About 3 pages from the end, you know what's coming, but you can't stop reading. This will NOT be a movie for young Harry Potter fans - it's definitely for grownups . . . who will still sleep with a light on after seeing it.

ETA: Based on recommendations here, I've just put "The Thirteenth Tale" on hold at the library!
    Last edited by AZChristian; 08-01-2010 at 01:03 AM.
    Warning . . . I have a black belt in Facebook, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;4016388;
    Bright Shiny Morning by James Frey, and finding it hard to put down. The style is somewhat toned down since A Million Little Pieces - a good thing, IMO, makes it easier to read - but the story is just as compelling.
    Bright Shiny Morning is James Frey's best book to date. I thoroughly enjoyed it and spent half a summer immersing myself in L.A. novels. (Janet Fitch's White Oleander and Paint it Black as well as Bret Easton Ellis' Less Than Zero and Nathanael West's Day of the Locust, which inspired David Lynch to make Mulholland Drive are a few other really good novels dealing with the City of Angels and the people, hopes, dreams, and personal catastrophies inside it.)
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Sorry for the double post, but I just saw this:

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian;4017409;
    Harry Potter geek that I am (by the way, today - July 31st - is Harry's birthday), I heard that Daniel Radcliffe's next role will be in the movie adaptation of "The Woman in Black" by Susan Hill. I got it from the local library. It's only 160 pages, so it was a quick read.

Scared the living daylights out of me. About 3 pages from the end, you know what's coming, but you can't stop reading. This will NOT be a movie for young Harry Potter fans - it's definitely for grownups . . . who will still sleep with a light on after seeing it.

ETA: Based on recommendations here, I've just put "The Thirteenth Tale" on hold at the library!
    The Woman in Black is one of those stories that comes back to haunt the reader long after the last page has been turned. The ending scared me senseless. Must admit that I'm a bit sceptical to the Daniel Radcliffe casting - he strikes me as too young, but if he wants to find a new mature audience, I can see why this would be the way to go - but I am very excited about it being filmed again.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

+ Reply to Thread