+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

CCL

Re: What are you reading?

Read Sizzling Sixteen, the latest Stephanie Plum book. An easy read - I finished it in a few hours. I liked it because it focussed on some of the minor core characters more (Connie and Vinnie were heavily featured) than in previous books.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3986683;
    I'm listening to The Thirteenth Tale... and really enjoying it. I've been striking it lucky with good reads this summer.
    That is one of my favorite books. Definitely on my Top Ten list. Which is weird because it's not the kind of book I typically read, but I enjoyed it immensely.

I'm reading Shattered by Karen Robards. So far, so good. I'm trying to get through it so I can finally start the latest Janet Evanovich book. Normally, I read 3-4 books a week but since I started working, I just don't have the time.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Today I did nothing but read. It was fabulous! I finished Madewell Brown, which turned out to be much deeper than I thought it was going to be. The Tony Hillerman/Cormac McCarthy description is totally appropriate.

Then I read A Matter of Class by Mary Balogh, which was a totally predictable and fluffy historical semi-romance. I read it in a few hours.

Next came Isis by Douglass Clegg, a sort of Gothic/Victorian story set in Cornwall. Lots of lovely period-looking little ink drawings. When I picked it up, I thought it was a children's story, but it definitely isn't.

Then I read a super-quick little gift book called Yiddish Yoga by Lisa Grunberger. It's the story of a 72 year old Jewish widow who finds herself again after her granddaughter gives her a year membership to a yoga studio. VERY quick read and very sweet. A bit contrived, but cute anyway.

Now I'm reading The Disappeared by Kim Echlin. It's about the relationship between a Cambodian student who fled the Khmer Rouge and white woman in Montreal. I'm only on chapter two, but the writing is beautiful.

I only read about 500 pages today, but they were short books. It felt good to check so many books off my list in a day!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;3991943;
    You Swedes are so lucky! Portobello doesn't come out until Sept 7th here in the U.S., and Tigerlily's Orchids won't be out until December. hrrrmmpph!
    Really?? That's odd. I read Portobello a few months ago, it had been sitting on my to-be-read shelf for a few months before that, and sitting in a Canadian bookstore for a few months before that. It's that different between Canada and the U.S.?
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;4005343;
    Really?? That's odd. I read Portobello a few months ago, it had been sitting on my to-be-read shelf for a few months before that, and sitting in a Canadian bookstore for a few months before that. It's that different between Canada and the U.S.?
    That's what the Amazon and Barnes & Noble websites both say. :stamps foot and shakes fist:

I just finished Storm Front by Jim Butcher. It's the first book in a series and it's about a wizard/private eye in Chicago. The main character was interesting, but all the other characters felt very one dimensional. I'm going to try a few more books in the series, because all the reviews I've read said they author gets much better as the series progresses.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio;4001241;
    Just finished 2 excellent ones:

Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

The Help, Kathryn Stockett
    Both of which are on my "to read" list. I even picked up Remarkable Creaturesa while back, but haven't gotten around to reading it yet. Looking forward to it though!

Finished Faithful Place by Tana French the other day. An altogether brilliant read. Something tells me that the narrator of book number four will be Stephen, the young Murder detective... just a hunch. Right now, I'm reading the brand new Linwood Barclay, Never Look Away. If you like Harlan Coben, you definitely ought to check him out. Great thrillers that keep you at the edge of your seat!
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Oh, I hope you're right (Stephen/next Tana French)! Still flashing back to Faithful Place.
    Count your blessings!

I have almost finished The Eighth Day by John Case. Its action packed rip roaring story of a regular guy swept up into intrigue and evil. This would make an excellent movie!! The Eighth Day by John Case

I'm about half-way through with Kim Echlin's The Disappeared and it is stunning. Basically, it's the story of a young couple - a man who is Cambodian refugee and a young Canadian woman - who fall in love in the late 70's in Montreal. When the borders of Cambodia open up, he leaves and goes back to see if he can find his family. Many years later, when she hasn't heard from him, she follows him to Cambodia to find him. The story is so poignant and sad - there's quite a bit of talk about what happened to people in Cambodia when Pol Pot was in power - and the writing is beautiful and simple. I thought it would be a quick read and, although that's not the case, I don't care. I'm totally absorbed.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Columbia, MD;3995877;
    Anyone read Kay Hooper? I'm reading "Blood Sins," and finding it somewhat strange. If anyone has an opinion on her, please PM me. Thanks!!
    Love her work. She started as a regular romance author and then started this series about psychics that developed into The Special Unit Crimes series which is about an FBI unit and all the agents have some kind of psychic talent. It can be a bit confusing if you are starting in the middle of the series but it is quite good. Blood Sins is the 11th book of the series.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread