+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree214Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Okay, I know I am way behind on current adult books, but I read children's books for my job so don't branch out much. I painted my bedroom yesterday and listened to "Eat, Pray, Love" while I toiled away. As my room transformed I traveled the world with Liz... it was a very pleasant way to spend 10 hours in my room. I am now ready to watch the movie when it opens at the end of the month.

Gosh, I feel like I've been reading the same book for weeks! I'm still reading Richard Russo's That Old Cape Magic and am enjoying it but, for some reason, it's been slow going. I've had company in from out of town, so not much time to read. I'm looking forward to finishing this one and moving on to my next adventure!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3992911;
    Gosh, I feel like I've been reading the same book for weeks! I'm still reading Richard Russo's That Old Cape Magic and am enjoying it but, for some reason, it's been slow going. I've had company in from out of town, so not much time to read. I'm looking forward to finishing this one and moving on to my next adventure!
    Enjoyable, yet slow going is how I would sum up my experience with reading Richard Russo. Mind you, I've only read Empire Falls. I really liked the writing and characters but for some reason, it took me much longer than usual to finish it. I wonder why that is? Perhaps some novels and authors simply ought to be read that way?
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl;3993177;
    Enjoyable, yet slow going is how I would sum up my experience with reading Richard Russo. Mind you, I've only read Empire Falls. I really liked the writing and characters but for some reason, it took me much longer than usual to finish it. I wonder why that is? Perhaps some novels and authors simply ought to be read that way?
    I think Russo is just a slower read. I read Bridge of Sighs some time last fall and, although it wasn't a fast read, I don't remember it taking this long. Maybe I'm not connecting with the characters as much with this one

I've got an obnoxious amount of books sitting around here waiting for attention, so I guess it bugs me when one of them takes so much longer to read!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007;3981164;
    Death Angel by Linda Howard.
    That's a good one.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Fogey

Anyone read Kay Hooper? I'm reading "Blood Sins," and finding it somewhat strange. If anyone has an opinion on her, please PM me. Thanks!!

Just finished 2 excellent ones:

Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

The Help, Kathryn Stockett

OMG - just got to the big "twist" in 13th Tale which I didn't see coming at all. I soooooo recommend this book. Not sure if it's old or new, but I'm listening to it on audio book and took a long drive today just to listen to it and enjoy my car's air conditioning.
    Count your blessings!

[U]The Shack[U] by Wm Paul Young

Very thought provoking!

I FINALLY finished That Old Cape Magic and actually ended up enjoying it. The second half was much better than the first half, imo. Russo seems to enjoy meditating on the dynamics of a long marriage and I'm sure that's the part of his stories that reflects his own life. I'm glad I hung in there and finished it, but I didn't love this one. I thought Bridge of Sighs was better.

Today I read Through the Heart by Kate Morgenroth and really liked it. The story is told from the points of view of two characters - a man and a woman who fall in love. At the beginning of the book, one of them is possibly a murder victim, but you don't find out which one it is until the last 20 pages of the book. Not a typical thriller. In fact, it really didn't read like a thriller at all. Very intriguing. Also, I just love being able to sit down and read a whole book with no interruptions!

Now I'm reading Madewell Brown by Rick Collignon, which one reviewer described as a combination of Comac McCarthy and Tony Hillerman. It's a fast read, which is nice, but I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. It doesn't feel like the kind of book that will stick with me for very long. Still, it's one of my trade show books and I'm determined to get through as many of them as possible before this year's show rolls around!
    Last edited by Critical; 07-25-2010 at 03:04 AM.

+ Reply to Thread