+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

  1. #5271
    Best Buddies Gutmutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Nap Time
    Posts
    13,238

    Re: What are you reading?

    I'm listening to The Thirteenth Tale... and really enjoying it. I've been striking it lucky with good reads this summer.
    Count your blessings!

  2. #5272
    Culture slut geek the girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    The deep, dark woods
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,932

    Re: What are you reading?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3986683;
    I'm listening to The Thirteenth Tale... and really enjoying it. I've been striking it lucky with good reads this summer.
    It IS a great read, isn't it? I loved the atmosphere, although it does strike me as more of an autumn read than a summer one for some reason.

    Oh, and Harmony2000, I definitely need to pick up Twenties Girl. Sophie Kinsella is my idea of the perfect beach read, especially when she's at top of her game. So far, I've preferred her standalone novels to the Shopaholic ones. Guess I'm not much of a shopaholic (books don't count, right?).
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

  3. #5273
    Best Buddies Gutmutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Nap Time
    Posts
    13,238

    Re: What are you reading?

    I'm listening to it as I sew on my new fabric piece. I find it a good combination... spinning a tale/sewing a picture.
    Count your blessings!

  4. #5274
    Crazy Shutterbug Harmony2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,163

    Re: What are you reading?

    Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl;3987288;
    Oh, and Harmony2000, I definitely need to pick up Twenties Girl. Sophie Kinsella is my idea of the perfect beach read, especially when she's at top of her game. So far, I've preferred her standalone novels to the Shopaholic ones. Guess I'm not much of a shopaholic (books don't count, right?).
    I loved the first one of that series but the rest, I kept thinking "Will ya grow up already and learn some financial responsibility?" I lost patience with the heroine and her destroying her credit because of shoes or whatever. I like the authors writing though, it's fast paced right from the very beginning. I can't stand novels that take a few pages to build up, they bore me so I never finish them.

    They did a great job adapting this to a movie though, loved it.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

  5. #5275
    FORT Fogey brunette trixie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,440

    Re: What are you reading?

    Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl;3985436;
    Just started A Fatal Inversion by Barbara Vine (aka Ruth Rendell). I adore anything Rendell, particularly the novels of psychological suspense she writes as Vine, and this one's rumoured to be a bit of a classic. It is fairly obvious that Erin Kelly, who wrote the book I just finished, The Poison Tree, has read it; they are strikingly similar in terms of theme. So far, it is trademark Barbara Vine.

    Any other Rendell/Vine fans here btw? I prefer her standalones to the Wexford mysteries, but she's always on top of her game. Truly the queen of crime IMHO.

    I am a huge Rendell/Vine fan. I know that I have read all of the Vine books (A Dark Adapted Eye is my favorite) and I've read most of the Rendell books. I think Simisola or A Sight for Sore Eyes would be my favorite Rendell book.

    Did you know she is 80 years old? I hope she keeps writing and publishing books until she is well over 100!

  6. #5276
    FORT Biscuit VeronicaBelle27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Doing a lap before I commit to a location
    Posts
    792

    Re: What are you reading?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;3987525;
    I loved the first one of that series but the rest, I kept thinking "Will ya grow up already and learn some financial responsibility?" I lost patience with the heroine and her destroying her credit because of shoes or whatever. I like the authors writing though, it's fast paced right from the very beginning. I can't stand novels that take a few pages to build up, they bore me so I never finish them.

    They did a great job adapting this to a movie though, loved it.
    I finished "Twenties Girl" and really liked it.. I, too, was a bit put-off by the heroine midway through the Shopaholic series.

    Coincidentally, the next book on the pile was "Wedding Girl" by Madeline Wickham/Sophie Kinsella, and I just finished that one up yesterday, also pretty good.
    Could does not mean should

  7. #5277
    Culture slut geek the girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    The deep, dark woods
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,932

    Re: What are you reading?

    Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;3987684;
    I am a huge Rendell/Vine fan. I know that I have read all of the Vine books (A Dark Adapted Eye is my favorite) and I've read most of the Rendell books. I think Simisola or A Sight for Sore Eyes would be my favorite Rendell book.

    Did you know she is 80 years old? I hope she keeps writing and publishing books until she is well over 100!
    I know, it's incredible that at 80, she outshines pretty much all her competition! The same can be said for PD James, who I think is pushing 90. Ruth Rendell has a new psychologial thriller out in August. It's called Tigerlily's Orchids and sounds like another winner. I really enjoyed Portobello, which was published last summer as I recall. It's amazing how Rendell can make something as innocent as sugar-free candy seem evil.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

  8. #5278
    Anarchist AJane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Charming
    Posts
    9,355

    Re: What are you reading?

    Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. Very entertaining and amusing - love how Austen's dialogue is twisted to suit the "horror" theme. I like that Darcy disses Miss Bingley right to her face - about time he got to tell her what her really thinks of her. The humour would be lost on a reader not familiar with the original P&P, though.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

  9. #5279
    FORT Fogey brunette trixie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,440

    Re: What are you reading?

    Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl;3990834;
    I know, it's incredible that at 80, she outshines pretty much all her competition! The same can be said for PD James, who I think is pushing 90. Ruth Rendell has a new psychologial thriller out in August. It's called Tigerlily's Orchids and sounds like another winner. I really enjoyed Portobello, which was published last summer as I recall. It's amazing how Rendell can make something as innocent as sugar-free candy seem evil.
    You Swedes are so lucky! Portobello doesn't come out until Sept 7th here in the U.S., and Tigerlily's Orchids won't be out until December. hrrrmmpph!

  10. #5280
    Culture slut geek the girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    The deep, dark woods
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,932

    Re: What are you reading?

    Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;3991943;
    You Swedes are so lucky! Portobello doesn't come out until Sept 7th here in the U.S., and Tigerlily's Orchids won't be out until December. hrrrmmpph!
    Really? Wow, I can't believe the release dates differ so much. Poor you, but you're in for a treat! I should probably clarify that it's the British editions I'm reading; the Swedish translations are waaaay behind. I think the last Rendell to be translated into Swedish was The Water's Lovely. Good thing I'm fluent in English!

    In the meantime, check out the book I was gushing about a few pages back, The Poison Tree by Erin Kelly. It's reminiscent of Barbara Vine in a very, very good way. (Is there any other way...?)

    Oh, and Gutmutter? I'm about 110 pages into Faithful Place and love it so far. I'm kinda bummed there's STILL no Rob, though; he was by far my fave character in Into the Woods.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.