+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree247Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

You're quite welcome.
    I actually liked this one better than the last. However, I do think she needs an editor / proofreader, etc.
    If you're going to keep your characters in the 60's and the 80's, then you nreed to research what actually went on during that time.
    She's got way too many errors in these books that don't fit in with the timeframe.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

CCL

I'm reading One Day by David Nicholls. I would liken it to a British "When Harry Met Sally"....it starts with a couple spending the night together and then they drift into friendship...not sure yet how it will turn out in the end. Each chapter is set a year apart. It starts when they are around 22; I'm not sure how old they will be when it ends. I'm thoroughly enjoying it- a good read.

I've bought the latest Stephanie Plum book - Sizzling Sixteen - more out of habit than anything. I haven't been than enamoured with the last few books but hopefully this one is better.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I finished reading The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society last week. The letter format was interesting and it was a good story, but honestly I was expecting it to be even better based on the reviews I read.

I also finished The Girl Who Played with Fire over the weekend. It was just as good as the first book in the series. There was one scene near the end that I had a hard time reading (one of those situations that just gets under my skin), but it was short. Now I'm gonna have to go pick up the last one! (Re. the Hollywood version of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, there is some early casting info on IMDB. We talked briefly about it in one of the movie threads recently. What Films Did You Watch Today?)

I am now reading The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. Although the beginning is rather morbid, it is geared toward younger readers so I think it will be a pretty quick read.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;3978338;
    I'm reading One Day by David Nicholls. I would liken it to a British "When Harry Met Sally"....it starts with a couple spending the night together and then they drift into friendship...not sure yet how it will turn out in the end. Each chapter is set a year apart. It starts when they are around 22; I'm not sure how old they will be when it ends. I'm thoroughly enjoying it- a good read.

I've bought the latest Stephanie Plum book - Sizzling Sixteen - more out of habit than anything. I haven't been than enamoured with the last few books but hopefully this one is better.
    I LOVED One Day, CCL! Loved the concept (it felt a bit like getting a long lovely letter from a dearly missed friend once every year) and it's been a while since I felt so invested in two fictional characters. Let me know how you liked the ending! Oh, and did you know there's a movie adaptation in the making? Apparently, Anne Hathaway will play Emma, which just feels wrong but hey, she surprised me big time with Rachel Getting Married so who knows? I am, however, genuinely curious to see whether she'll pull off the Northern accent.

Started The Poison Tree by Erin Kelly last night and my god, talk about love at first read! It reads like a British The Secret History with a bit of Barbara Vine's Fatal Inversion added to the mix. Incredibly atmospheric and well written. Here's the Amazon page: Amazon.com: The Poison Tree (9781444701043): Erin Kelly: Books

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3978789;
    I finished reading The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society last week. The letter format was interesting and it was a good story, but honestly I was expecting it to be even better based on the reviews I read.
    I liked it for what it was: a light, fun, heartfelt read. I'm kinda with you, though - based on the reviews, I can see why you would expect something more. I picked it up from the library knowing next to nothing about it and ended up enjoying it. It's all about expectations, isn't it?
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Death Angel by Linda Howard.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

I'm halfway through Faithful Place by Tana French... very true to form. If you liked the first two books, you'll like this one.
    ClosetRTWatcher - the third "Girl Who..." book is like part two of the second one. It picks right up where the second one left off.
    Count your blessings!

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl;3980995;
    I LOVED One Day, CCL! Loved the concept (it felt a bit like getting a long lovely letter from a dearly missed friend once every year) and it's been a while since I felt so invested in two fictional characters. Let me know how you liked the ending! Oh, and did you know there's a movie adaptation in the making? Apparently, Anne Hathaway will play Emma, which just feels wrong but hey, she surprised me big time with Rachel Getting Married so who knows? I am, however, genuinely curious to see whether she'll pull off the Northern accent.
    I know what you mean regarding the concept, geek the girl. I had better like the ending (I'm about 2/3 through); I'll be peeved if I don't. They've started filming the movie with Anne Hathaway and Jim Sturgess, neither of which match the picture I have of Emma and Dexter, but we'll see how they do (and, in the words of Suki Meadows, Jim Sturgess...wahey! ).
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Just started A Fatal Inversion by Barbara Vine (aka Ruth Rendell). I adore anything Rendell, particularly the novels of psychological suspense she writes as Vine, and this one's rumoured to be a bit of a classic. It is fairly obvious that Erin Kelly, who wrote the book I just finished, The Poison Tree, has read it; they are strikingly similar in terms of theme. So far, it is trademark Barbara Vine.

Any other Rendell/Vine fans here btw? I prefer her standalones to the Wexford mysteries, but she's always on top of her game. Truly the queen of crime IMHO.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Has anyone read Perdido Street Station by China Mieville? It was recommended to me, but the reviews on Amazon are a little strange. Is it the first book of the series? I hate to start a series further than the first book.
    Count your blessings!

I just started Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella (who wrote the Shopaholic series). It's her usual funny and fast paced fare and a great/light summer read.

Synopsis from back of book:

Lara Lington has always had an overactive imagination, but suddenly that imagination seems to be in overdrive. Normal professional twenty-something young women don’t get visited by ghosts. Or do they?

When the spirit of Lara’s great-aunt Sadie–a feisty, demanding girl with firm ideas about fashion, love, and the right way to dance–mysteriously appears, she has one last request: Lara must find a missing necklace that had been in Sadie’s possession for more than seventy-five years, and Sadie cannot rest without it. Lara, on the other hand, has a number of ongoing distractions. Her best friend and business partner has run off to Goa, her start-up company is floundering, and she’s just been dumped by the “perfect” man.

Sadie, however, could care less.

Lara and Sadie make a hilarious sparring duo, and at first it seems as though they have nothing in common. But as the mission to find Sadie’s necklace leads to...
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

+ Reply to Thread