+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree269Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

  1. #5251
    FORT Fogey cablejockey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    ontario canada
    Posts
    1,845

    Re: What are you reading?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3964321;
    Just pre-ordered the new Tana French: Faithful Place due out in a little over a week (on my Kindle, so no waiting for it to be shipped!). I'm so excited! I loved her first two books... In the Woods, and The Likeness. The reviewer said this one was even better.
    What happened to the "I'm so lazy..." thread? I'm so lazy I realized when I started reading the Eat, Pray, Love book, that it was two hard to read a book with two hands. (the Kindle only takes one, turning the pages with a press of the thumb on the hand holding the book).
    Thanks for the info on the new Tana French book! I too really enjoyed reading her two previous books. This one sounds like it will be a very good read too.

  2. #5252
    FORT Fogey cablejockey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    ontario canada
    Posts
    1,845

    Re: What are you reading?

    I have just finished The Syndrome by John Case, which was a good thriller. I think it would make an excellent movie. The Syndrome by John Case Detailed Book Review

  3. #5253
    FORT Fogey brunette trixie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,440

    Re: What are you reading?

    I just finished Women, Food, and God by Geneen Roth. It was pretty informative. It's one of those books that spells out a lot of common sense ideas about a really emotional issue. I would recommend it for anyone who has food "issues". Which is just about everyone isn't it?

  4. #5254
    PWS
    PWS is offline
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    15,844

    Re: What are you reading?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3964321;
    Just pre-ordered the new Tana French: Faithful Place due out in a little over a week (on my Kindle, so no waiting for it to be shipped!). I'm so excited! I loved her first two books... In the Woods, and The Likeness. The reviewer said this one was even better.
    What happened to the "I'm so lazy..." thread? I'm so lazy I realized when I started reading the Eat, Pray, Love book, that it was two hard to read a book with two hands. (the Kindle only takes one, turning the pages with a press of the thumb on the hand holding the book).
    Half the time I'm reading on my Kindle it's no hands! I prop it against my big heavy ice tea glass while I eat, just occasionally having to press the page turn button.
    I'm working my way through the Karin Slaughter Grant County series. I've read them all out of order, and it was annoying not being able to figure out which came first--especially since she wrote some of them "out of order" so I couldn't even use the publication dates. Good crime series although a few too many rapes for my taste---sooner or later every female and some male characters seem to get raped. Usually fairly horrifically. On the plus side they don't just "get over it" by the next book.

  5. #5255
    Anarchist AJane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Charming
    Posts
    9,357

    Re: What are you reading?

    Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy;3963648;
    I am thisclose to getting a kindle or a kobo reader. The thing is, last night when I was on Chapters.com the kindle version was $14.99 and the paper book was $6.95, and much like Critical I love holding a book. I'm going to hold off on ebooks for now... maybe until I get an Itouch/Iphone and download the ap for free
    One of the big reasons I wanted an iPad was for the ebook capabilities. I was thinking how handy it would be, especially for travelling, if I could have a computer and collection of ebooks all in one.

    Dux, if you go to Chapters now they have a buy 3 - get the 4th book free. With that offer, my discount card, and the 30% off selected new hardcovers, I got the last book in the Salander trilogy - The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets' Nest - for $9. Am 2/3 of the way through it - so far, the 2nd book has been the best, but I'm hoping for an explosive finish to the series by the end of this one. I'm waiting patiently for a copy of the movie.

    I heard that there is also going to be a Hollywood version of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. No cast decisions yet but lots of big names are interested.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

  6. #5256
    FORT Fogey brunette trixie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,440

    Re: What are you reading?

    I have a question for anyone who has read U is for Undertow by Sue Grafton. I just finished the book and there is a huge plot hole that is bothering me.

    Click to see Spoiler:
    How could Michael (Kinsey's client) have seen the murderers digging a grave when his sister had pictures of him at Disneyland on that day. If the book explained it I missed it.


    I've started rereading I, Claudius by Robert Graves. It's one of my all time favorites, and is excellent reading for anyone who thinks ancient Rome is "boring".

  7. #5257
    Bitten Critical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Fangtasia - The Bar With Bite
    Age
    46
    Posts
    17,122

    Re: What are you reading?

    I LOVE I Claudius and Claudius the God! Such great writing and, of course, great material. And, you're right, definitely not boring!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

  8. #5258
    Culture slut geek the girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    The deep, dark woods
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,932

    Re: What are you reading?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3964321;
    Just pre-ordered the new Tana French: Faithful Place due out in a little over a week (on my Kindle, so no waiting for it to be shipped!). I'm so excited! I loved her first two books... In the Woods, and The Likeness. The reviewer said this one was even better.
    What happened to the "I'm so lazy..." thread? I'm so lazy I realized when I started reading the Eat, Pray, Love book, that it was two hard to read a book with two hands. (the Kindle only takes one, turning the pages with a press of the thumb on the hand holding the book).
    Oooh, I've pre-ordered it too! Can't wait to read it, seeing how much I liked her first two novels. Based on the recommendation from a fellow bookworm who also likes Tana French, I picked up The Poison Tree by Erin Kelly as well. It is a debut novel that's drawn comparisons to the likes of Tana French, Donna Tartt (The Secret History) and Barbara Vine and if it's even half as good as any of them, I'm bound to love it.

    Just finished the latest Jodi Picoult, House Rules. Liked it a lot - her latest efforts have been a bit so-so, but this one I thoroughly enjoyed. It was fairly obvious where she was going with the "crime novel" part of the story, but then again, she hardly writes crime fiction, does she? Anyone else read it?
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

  9. #5259
    FORT Fogey norealityhere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,148

    Re: What are you reading?

    Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;3967580;
    I have a question for anyone who has read U is for Undertow by Sue Grafton. I just finished the book and there is a huge plot hole that is bothering me.

    Click to see Spoiler:
    How could Michael (Kinsey's client) have seen the murderers digging a grave when his sister had pictures of him at Disneyland on that day. If the book explained it I missed it.

    I've started rereading I, Claudius by Robert Graves. It's one of my all time favorites, and is excellent reading for anyone who thinks ancient Rome is "boring".
    Brunette,

    Click to see Spoiler:
    I read it a while ago. The Disneyland thing was never explained. It was one of several threads she had not tied up at the end. At the time, I checked on Amazon and there were numerous people who felut the same way. You're not alone.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

  10. #5260
    FORT Fogey brunette trixie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,440

    Re: What are you reading?

    Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3976922;
    Brunette,

    Click to see Spoiler:
    I read it a while ago. The Disneyland thing was never explained. It was one of several threads she had not tied up at the end. At the time, I checked on Amazon and there were numerous people who felut the same way. You're not alone.
    Thanks, norealityhere! I'm glad to know I didn't miss something.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.