+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Just visiting this planet nanaslbkp's Avatar

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Columbia, MD;3951806;
    Hi, raisin, how goes it? I'm not on these "parts" much any more.

I just finished "The Bone Garden" by Tess Gerritsen. Well written and very suspenseful.
    Columbia! The Bone Garden is on of her best books, IMO.

I have found Linwood Barclay and read 3 of his books, very suspenseful. He is an excellent author!

MsDiva2007....I love Evanovich and waiting on her latest one now...yep, Ranger is a fave of mine too.

hiyaColumbia! The Bone Garden is on of her best books, IMO.

I have found Linwood Barclay and read 3 of his books, very suspenseful. He is an excellent author!

MsDiva2007....I love Evanovich and waiting on her latest one now...yep, Ranger is a fave of mine too.

Thanks to both you and Ms. Diva,
    I just put in my online request at the library.
    I'm # 399........
    I'm hoping there are some fast readers out there.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I just finished watching Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.. it's 1am or I would have been running out the door to get the book, I'll be at the book shop first thing tomorrow!
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Kindle, kindle, kindle...

I'm shameless, Duxxy. I was listening to Eat, Pray, Love on CDs when my car went into the shop for 2 weeks and then I had to return it to the library. My friend loaned me her dead tree copy and within 2 chapters I had to download it onto my Kindle. There is a very cool riff on the origin of the different Romance languages that with my Kindle I can copy and paste from my laptop ap and e-mail to myself at school and use in my classroom. There are passages I want to "bookmark" and passages I want to underline. I have become very spoiled with these features.
    Count your blessings!

I just started That Old Cape Magic by Richard Russo. I heard him speak last fall and I'm a big fan of his writing. It's another title I picked up at the trade show last year. Since this year's event is approaching fast, I figured I'd better get back to reading the books I got last year!

Gut - I know my house would certainly be less cluttered if I bought a Kindle and just got all my books that way, but I still love paper books - the smell, the feel, etc. I don't know that I'll ever go electronic. I'm glad you like yours though!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3963467;
    I just started That Old Cape Magic by Richard Russo. I heard him speak last fall and I'm a big fan of his writing. It's another title I picked up at the trade show last year. Since this year's event is approaching fast, I figured I'd better get back to reading the books I got last year!

Gut - I know my house would certainly be less cluttered if I bought a Kindle and just got all my books that way, but I still love paper books - the smell, the feel, etc. I don't know that I'll ever go electronic. I'm glad you like yours though!
    I felt exactly the same way before I got mine. Within a week or two I was totally Kindled. For starters when I read late at night in bed I don't wake up with sore wrists, thumbs and forearms from holding the page any more.
    I do miss the ability to pass a good book to my Sig. Other (SO has no interest in getting a Kindle and I'm not loaning mine when I could be reading on it!). And I do miss that my grandkids won't be able to stumble on some of the things I'm reading (once I have them that is), and I do still usually find the first book I read in a series via paper... but after that, all Kindle.

It is NOT as easy to thumb back through a book for a clue you missed on Kindle.
    I might be still buying paper books if I had a place to put them, but between my inability to toss a book... or even find it another home...and eventual limitations on space for book shelves... something had to be done.
    OK, this is not the kIndle thread....

I am thisclose to getting a kindle or a kobo reader. The thing is, last night when I was on Chapters.com the kindle version was $14.99 and the paper book was $6.95, and much like Critical I love holding a book. I'm going to hold off on ebooks for now... maybe until I get an Itouch/Iphone and download the ap for free
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

I think I would miss the feeling I get from sitting quietly reading a book and turning the pages. I know it sounds silly,lol. I just enjoy it. It's either get a kindle or buy a larger bookcase,lol.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Just pre-ordered the new Tana French: Faithful Place due out in a little over a week (on my Kindle, so no waiting for it to be shipped!). I'm so excited! I loved her first two books... In the Woods, and The Likeness. The reviewer said this one was even better.
    What happened to the "I'm so lazy..." thread? I'm so lazy I realized when I started reading the Eat, Pray, Love book, that it was two hard to read a book with two hands. (the Kindle only takes one, turning the pages with a press of the thumb on the hand holding the book).
    Last edited by Gutmutter; 07-05-2010 at 11:57 AM.
    Count your blessings!

FORT Fogey

I had sworn off Jonathan Kellerman, but just finished "Deception." I enjoyed it, and somehow it seemed different than some of his other books.

Now reading "The Lilac Bus" by Maeve Binchy -- an old book but I just love her writing style.

+ Reply to Thread