+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

FORT Regular

Re: What are you reading?

I too read Hungry and enjoyed it for the most part, especially the memoir aspect. However, when she got preachy about weight issues, not so much. But it's worth the time to read it.

If you want a true story about law enforcement gone wrong, try reading Zeitoun by Dave Eggers. It's basically a story about Hurricane Katrina and its aftermath. . . won't say much more but it's a very engrossing read. All the incoming freshmen at the college I work at are reading this over the summer.

Currently I'm reading Mennonite in a Little Black Dress (another memoir) and Let the Great World Spin, recommended for book groups on IndieBound.

Also read the classic A Tree Grows in Brooklyn for my book group. . . loved it.

old cow

Quote Originally Posted by Columbia, MD;3951806;
    Hi, raisin, how goes it? I'm not on these "parts" much any more.

I just finished "The Bone Garden" by Tess Gerritsen. Well written and very suspenseful.
    Welllllll LAWD JEZUS look at who it is! We miss you on the Bachelorette board! PLEASE COME BACK!

Ive never heard of The Bone Garden. Pretty good, huh? I just started the True Blood books. Im so-so on the tv show but everyone has been telling me that the books are so much better so I picked up the first book Saturday and OMG i LOVE it. Im half way thru the first book, cant wait to read the others.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by raisinthesun;3953619;
    Welllllll LAWD JEZUS look at who it is! We miss you on the Bachelorette board! PLEASE COME BACK!

Ive never heard of The Bone Garden. Pretty good, huh? I just started the True Blood books. Im so-so on the tv show but everyone has been telling me that the books are so much better so I picked up the first book Saturday and OMG i LOVE it. Im half way thru the first book, cant wait to read the others.
    Don't let the TV show confuse you---the books and the show go in VERY different directions! It's like they started with the same set of characters and then wrote entirely different stories about them--everything from who gets killed to who has sex with whom (or fantasizes about it!).
    Note there's a whole Sookie thread here under books.

Quote Originally Posted by obsession57;3953579;
    I too read Hungry and enjoyed it for the most part, especially the memoir aspect. However, when she got preachy about weight issues, not so much. But it's worth the time to read it.

If you want a true story about law enforcement gone wrong, try reading Zeitoun by Dave Eggers. It's basically a story about Hurricane Katrina and its aftermath. . . won't say much more but it's a very engrossing read. All the incoming freshmen at the college I work at are reading this over the summer.

Currently I'm reading Mennonite in a Little Black Dress (another memoir) and Let the Great World Spin, recommended for book groups on IndieBound.

Also read the classic A Tree Grows in Brooklyn for my book group. . . loved it.
    Boy, do I love this thread. I was tempted by Zeitoun when it came out and then forgot about it for some reason. I'm reading a lot this summer, so will definitely download that. I have Tree/Brooklyn and forgot that I did, so another one to queue up. I'm going right now to read a review of Mennonite.
    Let the Great World Spin was a favorite at the time I read it. So many good books! I appreciate all the recommendations.
    Count your blessings!

old cow

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3953672;
    Don't let the TV show confuse you---the books and the show go in VERY different directions! It's like they started with the same set of characters and then wrote entirely different stories about them--everything from who gets killed to who has sex with whom (or fantasizes about it!).
    Note there's a whole Sookie thread here under books.
    thanxs PWS! Yeah after i posted this i found the Sookie Stackehouse thread so i will post there but to comment on what you said: yeah I watched Season 1 & 2 of True Blood and kinda liked it but wasnt captivated by the characters but these books are GREAT! And yeah i can already see the difference in the story lines and such....omg dont even get me started on season 3 of True Blood

MRD

I'm reading Craig Ferguson's (of the late, late show) American on Purpose and laughing my butt off.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Just sitting down now to read Janet Evanovich's, Sizzlin Sixteen. time for my Ranger fix.lol
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3956769;
    I'm reading Craig Ferguson's (of the late, late show) American on Purpose and laughing my butt off.
    I loved that one! I thought the preface/intro was one of the best I've read - just very poignant.

His Between the Bridge and the River is also fantastic.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007;3957496;
    Just sitting down now to read Janet Evanovich's, Sizzlin Sixteen. time for my Ranger fix.lol
    That's part of my "summer stack" too, I love Evanovich I just finished Scent of Rain and Lightning by Nancy Pickard which was very good and am now in the middle of Sacrifice by SJ Bolton. It's the first of her three books...all stand alone mysteries. So far it's great. It takes place on the island of Shetland and begins when the main character discovers a body in a peat bog on her property. The author based the mystery on a British legend of the Kunal Trows (you might not want to Google until you're well into the book, it's a bit spoilerish, though it certainly won't give away the "who dunnit"). The book is very atmospheric with just the right amount of spooky, but doesn't cross the line into a paranormal mystery. I have her second novel Awakening waiting on stand-by for when I've finished this...probably by today or tomorrow
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

Just read The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner by Stephenie Meyer. It was a short novella, part of the Twilight series. It was fun to read a view from a different character, a 'newborn' vampire.
    I am now reading Jodi Picoults new one "House Rules'.

+ Reply to Thread