+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I'm behind the curve, but I just finished The School of Essential Ingredients. It isn't something I'd reread, but I really enjoyed it. All the characters and vignettes were interesting, and it was perfect casual reading. Mostly it made me want to cook.

Has anyone read Major Pettigrew's Last Stand? I want to check it out, but I'm number a million on my library waiting list. If it's worth it I might splurge and buy my own copy instead of waiting a month.

I'm going to start reading the Angel Experiment by Patterson. We'll see how it goes.
    Phil: Claire likes to say "You can be part of the problem, or part of the solution." But I happen to believe you can be both. Modern Family

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by raisinthesun;3947753;
    I've recently purchased Christopher Moore's book "Bite Me". I usually enjoy his work but this one is a little blah for me. It doesnt seem to be as funny and I am not liking the main character, Abby Normal, at all; i dont like the way she talks.

Anyone else read this book?
    I haven't read this book yet, though I did read the prequels Bloodsucking Fiends and You Suck (Abby makes her first appearance here - as a minion). I loved Abby and the voice he gave her. You Suck was a book on tape and the reader was hilarious with Abby's part. I've also read Lamb (my favorite Christopher Moore book and I'm not a practicing christian - I just liked the humanity he gave Jesus Christ), Fluke, A Dirty Job, Fool, and the Stupidest Angel. I'm hit and miss with him. Liked Bloodsucking Fiends, You Suck, Lamb, and most parts of Fluke, Dirty Job and Fool. Didn't care for the endings of Fluke or Dirty Job, but enjoyed the journey. Didn't care for Stupidest Angel.

old cow

Quote Originally Posted by Boann;3950552;
    I haven't read this book yet, though I did read the prequels Bloodsucking Fiends and You Suck (Abby makes her first appearance here - as a minion). I loved Abby and the voice he gave her. You Suck was a book on tape and the reader was hilarious with Abby's part. I've also read Lamb (my favorite Christopher Moore book and I'm not a practicing christian - I just liked the humanity he gave Jesus Christ), Fluke, A Dirty Job, Fool, and the Stupidest Angel. I'm hit and miss with him. Liked Bloodsucking Fiends, You Suck, Lamb, and most parts of Fluke, Dirty Job and Fool. Didn't care for the endings of Fluke or Dirty Job, but enjoyed the journey. Didn't care for Stupidest Angel.
    Yeah I've read A Dirty Job and Lamb and LOVED those so i thought i would give Bite Me a chance. I didnt realize You Suck and the other book were prequels to Bite Me.....meh, ive tried reading a few more chapters and its just not capturing me so I think im just gonna give up the ghost on this one. But thanxs for the info on the other books. I might give Fluke or Fool a chance; they should be in paperback by now and recently my library started carrying his books.

FORT Fogey

Hi, raisin, how goes it? I'm not on these "parts" much any more.

I just finished "The Bone Garden" by Tess Gerritsen. Well written and very suspenseful.

The Innocent Man by John Grisham, true story. Damn scary how easy it was for a handful of shady cops to wrongly convict someone and send him to death row. Even though he was eventually cleared, the poor guy was never the same.

I just picked up Pride and Prejudice and Zombies yesterday, so I'll be starting that soon. I've been wanting to read that one for quite a while.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

I'm reading a Grisham too, The Broker.

I picked it up in a thrift store where my son is volunteering as part of his community service requirement for high school.
    Hardback, retails for $39.95 in Canada and I got it for one shiny loonie.
    It's an easy read. I'm already halfway through it. It's not bad.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd;3952370;
    I just picked up Pride and Prejudice and Zombies yesterday, so I'll be starting that soon. I've been wanting to read that one for quite a while.
    I just got that one as well. There's a couple other books of the same genre but I wanted to try this one first. Have to read The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest before that, though - can't wait to finish the trilogy.

I'm halfway through Hungry by Crystal Renn - thanks for the recommendation here, Crit. She has some interesting and worthwhile things to say about our body-obsessed culture, and her story is compelling, but I think her view is a bit tainted by being in the fashion industry. She's a size 12, which may be "plus-sized" for a model but certainly not for a real-world woman - not to mention she's drop-dead gorgeous - and I don't know how well an average young woman would relate to her. I would have liked her to be a wee bit more brave and named her original agency and agents, too.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I just finished Case Histories by Kate Atkinson. It was an interesting and different kind of mystery. There was no one crime, it was several cases that became intertwined through one private detective, Jackson Brodie. His character is nicely drawn, and really far from a cliched detective. I would recommend this book for anyone who likes mysteries.

I know this is an older book so many of you have probably already read it, but I recommend it for anyone who loves mysteries and missed it when it came first came out like I did.

Finally finished Angelology. I did like the concept and the history of the nephilim and the angelologists was interesting. But.....BIG BUT here. I totally do not understand how this author and Stephanie Meyer can get away with endless pages of prose. This novel would have been so much better if it was cut in half. I listened to the audio book which is 17 cds or 21 hours of listening and I felt I was ripped off. I expect more from the author and the editors and publishers then to be drawn into their world, their story and not get anything out of it. I felt cheated and betrayed. I know that many publishers are predicting that angels will be the next big trend after vampires, that all the publishing houses are looking for that book, that author that will make them tons of money, like JK Rowling and Stephanie Meyer have done and as a sidebar captivated numerous fans. Just don't cheat your audience, because word of mouth can kill a book or movie.

I have heard that Will Smith's production company has bought the rights to this book. Seriously, with the brutal editing screen writers do to any book I am sure the movie will be brilliant.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread