+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree265Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

I just finished The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner and wasn't crazy about it. Having the other perspective was good but the writing style was very "young adult." Though all the books are classified as such, the others made me forget that. This one, for lack of a better description, seemed dumbed down.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3940856;
    I'm reading Secret Daughter by Shilpi Somaya Gowda. It's the story of two women - one, a young Indian woman who is forced to give her daughter up for adoption (because the baby is not a boy) and the American woman who adopts the baby with her Indian-born husband. So far, I'm really enjoying it. Nice, short chapters, which makes it go fast, and really fantastic writing.

Thank you for recommending this! I finished it yesterday on my Kindle and loved it.
    Count your blessings!

Burned, the latest of the House of Night series by PC Cast and Kristin Cast. Young Adult Vampire series, very well done. Love the long list of characters and the strong heroines that actually do something (unlike Bella who only moans and groans alot). This particular book is very Stevie Rae centric and it is very refreshing to see other characters develop and to see other story arcs other than Zoe's.

Magic Bleeds by IIona Andrews, the latest in the Kate Daniels series. I would say it is Urban Fantasy. Love Kate and Curran. This is another great book in that series. I also like that the author is using myths based in other cultures besides European, it as a nice spice to the stories.

Dreamveil by Lynn Viehl. The second of her Kyndred series, a continuation of her Darkyn stories. I must say the author puts a new twist on "romantic triangle". I do like this series as the stories are well plotted. You can read them as stand alones and yet there is an underlying story arc that connects all the books yet does not distract.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3947152;
    Thank you for recommending this! I finished it yesterday on my Kindle and loved it.
    I'm glad you liked it! I finished it yesterday too, crying my eyes out! It's one I picked up at the trade show last year and my mom read it first and told me to read it. The thing about books from that trade show is they tend to be from new authors and they tend to be good book club picks. I've found a bunch of new authors at that show.

Now I'm reading True Colors by Anthony Haden-Guest, which is an inside look at the Contemporary Art world. It's for my book club and, since it's been tough to find, I have to read it quick and pass it on to someone else!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

old cow

I've recently purchased Christopher Moore's book "Bite Me". I usually enjoy his work but this one is a little blah for me. It doesnt seem to be as funny and I am not liking the main character, Abby Normal, at all; i dont like the way she talks.

Anyone else read this book?

Quote Originally Posted by raisinthesun;3947753;
    I've recently purchased Christopher Moore's book "Bite Me". I usually enjoy his work but this one is a little blah for me. It doesnt seem to be as funny and I am not liking the main character, Abby Normal, at all; i dont like the way she talks.

Anyone else read this book?
    I tried reading another 1 of his books a while back and couldn't get into at all, either.
    I was surprised because I really like dark humor. I just could not stay focused or interested in it, though.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

"Abby Normal"? Direct steal from Mel Brooks' Frankenstein.
    Count your blessings!

old cow

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3948647;
    "Abby Normal"? Direct steal from Mel Brooks' Frankenstein.
    Exactly! Actually the main character of the book gave herself this name after she became a vampire. She thinks she's being clever and unique by using this name but because she is young (and not exceptionally bright) she doesnt realize the name was used in the Mel Brooks spoof.

Honestly thats why I'm not enjoying this book--most of Christopher Moore's main characters are flawed and imperfect in a sweet and endearing way but this chick is so annoying. It wouldnt be so bad if she was a side character but because the plot revolves around her you cant escaper her.

Quote Originally Posted by lildago;3944832;
    I just finished The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner and wasn't crazy about it. Having the other perspective was good but the writing style was very "young adult." Though all the books are classified as such, the others made me forget that. This one, for lack of a better description, seemed dumbed down.
    I won't bother with it then. The 11-year-old read it online and loved it - she's incapable of disliking anything related to the series - but she wouldn't notice a change in style of that sort, of course.

As for myself, I'm a few chapters into The Postmistress. I have several old novels of my mom's that were set in the '30's and '40's, but they were written in that period and I love them. I don't love this as much. The dialogue just isn't as authentic as I'd like. I do like the female characters of Iris, Frankie & Emma very much, though.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3949432;
    As for myself, I'm a few chapters into The Postmistress. I have several old novels of my mom's that were set in the '30's and '40's, but they were written in that period and I love them. I don't love this as much. The dialogue just isn't as authentic as I'd like. I do like the female characters of Iris, Frankie & Emma very much, though.
    I really enjoyed The Postmistress! I didn't expect much, but I was pleasantly surprised.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread