+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree246Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Katydyd, thanks so much for sharing those. I think you just found how I'll start my summer reading, those sound fantastic!
    Wag more, bark less

Katydyd, I'm reading the second Jennifer Lee Carell book, but here (I live in Sweden) it was called The Shakespeare Curse. I did notice that it was the second in a series, but I bought it at the train station, just before a 6 hour trip, so I hadn't much choice . I have to say, I didn't like it as much as I thought I would when I read the blurb. I thought it was a bit "messy". I think I'll read the first one though, since you thought it was good.

I'm reading Secret Daughter by Shilpi Somaya Gowda. It's the story of two women - one, a young Indian woman who is forced to give her daughter up for adoption (because the baby is not a boy) and the American woman who adopts the baby with her Indian-born husband. So far, I'm really enjoying it. Nice, short chapters, which makes it go fast, and really fantastic writing.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

50 years and counting! AZChristian's Avatar

I'm "reading" an audio book of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows in preparation for my trip to Wizarding World of Harry Potter in September, and the debut of the movie of Part 1 of the book in November. I have it on a continuing play loop on the cd player in my bedroom.

I have severe tinnitus (ringing in the ears) and must have some background noise in order to be able to sleep. I used to watch TV, but invariably, I'd fall asleep, an infomercial would come on, and hubby and I would be awakened by the louder sound of those blasted shows. With the audio book, it's a wonderful even tone, read by Jim Dale. I've read the book so many times that if I do wake up during the night, about 2 minutes of "listening" to the familiar story lulls me right back to sleep. A real improvement over having the TV on!

Funny story about this. One night I inadvertently hit the "random play" button on the cd player. So I'd go from Chapter 1 to Chapter 4 to Chapter 3 to Chapter 2, etc., etc., etc. It was so weird!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by swingkat;3940529;
    Katydyd, I'm reading the second Jennifer Lee Carell book, but here (I live in Sweden) it was called The Shakespeare Curse. I did notice that it was the second in a series, but I bought it at the train station, just before a 6 hour trip, so I hadn't much choice . I have to say, I didn't like it as much as I thought I would when I read the blurb. I thought it was a bit "messy". I think I'll read the first one though, since you thought it was good.
    Swingkat, I read some of the reviews on Amazon for the second book, and several seemed to echo what you said...the second book apparently isn't as good (at least to many who read both). I'm disappointed because it sounds from the description like everything I love in a book...but I'm definitely going to read it anyway. I hope you find "Interred With Their Bones" more to your liking. I've finished it now, and I thoroughly enjoyed it
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

Ad Astra Per Aspera homeontherange's Avatar

I'm reading Life is What You Make It by Peter Buffett. Enjoying very much his outlook and perspective. This is one of those books that makes me want to meet the author.
    I'm also reading The Originals: The Women's Auxiliary Ferrying Squadron of World War II by Sarah Byrn Rickman. I've been reading books to learn more about parts of history that I don't know much about. This is a very good book about these very interesting women.

About half way through Angelology. What is is with author whose editors don't do their job. Both the author of this book and Stephanie Meyer (Twilight) could have halved their verbage and still have a story. Angelology is like the energizer bunny it just keeps going on and on and on and on and on and on......it's almost Hell on Earth.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Just finished Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest. I started it yesterday but read most of it today. Couldn't put it down. I literally did nothing else today but walk the dog a couple of times and make a bowl of cut fruit.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3943318;
    Just finished Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest. I started it yesterday but read most of it today. Couldn't put it down. I literally did nothing else today but walk the dog a couple of times and make a bowl of cut fruit.
    Gut,

Have you read the whole series then?
    I've only read the first - Dragon Tattoo - and everyone is telling me the other 2 are better.
    What do you think ?
    To Thine Own Self Be True

elk

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3943359;
    Gut,

Have you read the whole series then?
    I've only read the first - Dragon Tattoo - and everyone is telling me the other 2 are better.
    What do you think ?
    Just started Hornet's Nest and it has gripped me much sooner than Dragon Tattoo did. Whether its because it is a better book or because I already know and am interested in the characters I am not sure.

I really enjoyed Tattoo, but it did take a while for me to really get in to it.
    "I'll meet you at the place near the thing that we went to that time." - Albert Brooks to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News

+ Reply to Thread